New Board Software

bgk

Hi All,

As you've noticed, I've changed the forum software. I found the old software frustrating and thought that to some extent it hindered the community development. If you want to rant and complain, please do so in this thread and direct all insults towards me, the other mods were not really aware of my plans.

Yes it'll take some getting used to, and I'm sure there are lots of things that don't work quite right just yet. So let me know and I'll get around to fixing them ASAP!

Thanks for your patience!

[issues]

• The new software is not aware of which posts you had read on the old forum. I suggest you just 'mark all as read' and start again, if you keep track of those things.
  • Use Edit Your Profile (top right) to update the new profile fields.
  • It seems some user's passwords were not imported correctly. So, if you can't login, try resetting the password.
  • The software is showing some forums as unread even though you've read all the posts. This is a known issue with the s/w, a fix is coming soon. Rest assured the s/w is tracking which posts you've read. Just not doing a good job of showing you via the forum icons.

I'm working on moving over your 'program' field right now... - Done!

I can't find a link to the results page via the Forums with this new format. - Done!

Maybe I'm missing the obvious... BUT

I can't find a link to the results page via the Forums with this new format. Help? thanks!

That's a good observation ... :). Hadn't thought about that!

I like this look much better. B) However, I think everyone's birthday has been reset to Jan. 1, 1970.

This was unfortunate :-). I think I will remove all those birthdays, but I ask you all to update your profile! This new software has much better variety within the profiles...

I like the new look!

Is there a "view first unread post" button anywhere that I've missed?

Yes - in the forum view, you'll see something like this. The icon at the start takes you to the first unread post in the thread.

• Bla bla - thread title here.

Very interesting look. Everything is so large on my screen now. But overall not bad. I also had to reset my password. For a minute there I thought I was going crazy.

And a small note bgk, how about altering the drop down box in the profile edit section to include a blank option for people who are not in an application season!

Edited by FSIA

One issue: the sub-categories of forums (e.g. "Applying to Graduate School") don't seem to work anymore...though they're not very important.

This should be fixed now.

And a small note bgk, how about altering the drop down box in the profile edit section to include a blank option for people who are not in an application season!

OK I added a couple more options. Let me know if that is sufficient!

Did the Film/Media studies get moved somewhere? For some reason I thought they had their own section.

I had to check the old board to be sure...there was no section for this. Is one required? :)

How do I use the multiquote feature? I click on it and nothing happens. I have messed around with it for a while and have not figured it out yet. Thank you!

You hit multiquote to "tag" the posts you want to quote. Then at the very bottom of the thread is a button "Add Reply" (with the green arrow) which you must click.

How do I add a photo to the little info display that appears beside the posts? I've already uploaded a photo to my profile but I can't find the setting to make it visible on the forums.

Thanks!

This is your 'avatar'. (I agree it's a little confusing). You go to your profile page, click "Edit my Profile" then use the "Change Avatar" page on the lefthand side of the screen.

You hit multiquote to "tag" the posts you want to quote. Then at the very bottom of the thread is a button "Add Reply" (with the green arrow) which you must click.

Okay, great...thank you!! I'm going to go try it right now!

Maybe I'm blind, but there doesn't seem to be a way to go to a specific post that comes up from a search. The link goes to the first page of the relevant thread. Which is fine for a 2 or 3 page thread, but the post I was looking for was somewhere in teh 154 page Poli-sci 08-09 thread.

Maybe I'm blind, but there doesn't seem to be a way to go to a specific post that comes up from a search. The link goes to the first page of the relevant thread. Which is fine for a 2 or 3 page thread, but the post I was looking for was somewhere in teh 154 page Poli-sci 08-09 thread.

This is either a bug, or you're clicking the wrong icon. (i'm not sure, there are some search-related bugs) When you search try clicking the arrow beside the post and see what happens?