Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

2 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Any updates about OSU's funding? They said end of February, so it should be about time. 

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one! I was told 2 weeks ago by the coordinator to expect to hear last week, leading me to fear the worst once the weekend came.

40 minutes ago, Ayanet said:

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one! I was told 2 weeks ago by the coordinator to expect to hear last week, leading me to fear the worst once the weekend came.

Hopefully we will hear very soon! 

Whats the best means by which I can solicit some feedback on my applications from programs? I know most programs explicitly say they cannot provide this kind of information, but there must be some way. I had the worst possible cycle, despite being told my ducks were in a row and doing my best strengthen my application.  Any feedback at all would go a long way towards helping me move on.   UCLA seemed to be open to the possibility if you send them snail mail, which I am actually considering, but I would really appreciate it if any has some thoughts.  

9 minutes ago, wpg205 said:

Whats the best means by which I can solicit some feedback on my applications from programs? I know most programs explicitly say they cannot provide this kind of information, but there must be some way. I had the worst possible cycle, despite being told my ducks were in a row and doing my best strengthen my application.  Any feedback at all would go a long way towards helping me move on.   UCLA seemed to be open to the possibility if you send them snail mail, which I am actually considering, but I would really appreciate it if any has some thoughts.  

I would probably write a humble e-mail to the DGS that asks if they would be willing to chat with you about your application, or if they could put you in contact with whoever chaired the relevant subfield committee on the ad comm. Though I'd wait a little - not only would it be good to cool down a bit, but all the DGSes are in the midst of graduate recruiting right now, which presumably won't calm down until May or so. They'll probably be more receptive to talking to you then.

18 minutes ago, wpg205 said:

talk to your recommenders whether they can put you in touch with someone. as you say they thought that everything was in good shape so they must also be wondering how to advise you better.

Edited by kaykaykay

17 hours ago, Tvent1986 said:

Hey Guys, I was accepted to UMD program. I really would like to talk about the program with one of you. Is any of you considering their offer? What do you know about the program? It was my only acceptance until now, but I would like to have as much as possible information before my decision. 

I talked to a couple of professors there (more out of curiosity than because it's actually one of my top choices). It's definitely a decent program, it's just that I have other options that are better fits for me. I'll be happy to tell you everything I know!

Can I just ask: Why did people stop posting their SoPs on the wrap-up threads? I know it was increadibly helpful for me -- the non-American with only non-US degrees from really tiny no-name places where professors had never even heard of the unis I'm applying to, let alone ever seen an application to any of those places -- to peruse those old samples when preparing my application. I'm sure many of you did the same thing. But then three years ago or so, people seem to have suddenly gotten very secretive about this, and stopped posting them publicly.

Did everyone suddenly get paranoid that someone else would steal their topic? I mean, everyone who got admitted has a topic, so changing tracks and jumping on yours seems unlikely. And next year's applicants are far behind, so there's no way someone could snatch it from you considering that you'll plant your flag long before them.

Or did people suddenly feel insecure about the fact that they got into a good school with an SoP that's actually not magic and witchcraft, but just a down-to-earth piece of work? You got in, so your application was good - there's no reason to be shy about it.

The only other explanation I can come up with off the top of my head is that people didn't want to share to not provide the next generation of applicants with a head-start that they themselves might not have had, which would simply be sad.

Please, people, enlighten me. Am I missing something essential here?

2 hours ago, IndEnth said:

Can I just ask: Why did people stop posting their SoPs on the wrap-up threads? I know it was increadibly helpful for me -- the non-American with only non-US degrees from really tiny no-name places where professors had never even heard of the unis I'm applying to, let alone ever seen an application to any of those places -- to peruse those old samples when preparing my application. I'm sure many of you did the same thing. But then three years ago or so, people seem to have suddenly gotten very secretive about this, and stopped posting them publicly.

Did everyone suddenly get paranoid that someone else would steal their topic? I mean, everyone who got admitted has a topic, so changing tracks and jumping on yours seems unlikely. And next year's applicants are far behind, so there's no way someone could snatch it from you considering that you'll plant your flag long before them.

Or did people suddenly feel insecure about the fact that they got into a good school with an SoP that's actually not magic and witchcraft, but just a down-to-earth piece of work? You got in, so your application was good - there's no reason to be shy about it.

The only other explanation I can come up with off the top of my head is that people didn't want to share to not provide the next generation of applicants with a head-start that they themselves might not have had, which would simply be sad.

Please, people, enlighten me. Am I missing something essential here?

I didn't post my SOP because I didn't want adcoms from the schools that I applied to to identify me. Anyone can PM me for it though if they wish to see it.

Got my unofficial acceptances to LSU and UGA after speaking to the GDs, so that's exciting. Still waiting to hear back from Georgetown and American and have only got a funding offer from one school, so I'm more anxious now than ever.

So this is not a problem I expected to have, but I am being actively wooed by a department right now (they've upped my offer and I've now received two emails from Professors in the department). The program is a very good program, I've only applied to one that is higher ranked, however that is the one I'm waiting for, those results are expected to come out this week. The great offer has a deadline of March 14th, if I do not get accepted or receive a subpar funding offer from the one I'm waiting for, I plan on accepting the great offer by the end of this week. So my question is what is the proper protocol here? Do I let them know I'm waiting for other results before I make my decision? I definitely don't want to burn bridges since I will most likely end up accepting so what is the best course of action here? NEVER thought this was a question I would be asking, but here we go. Any advice is very welcome! 

24 minutes ago, PoliPixie said:

So this is not a problem I expected to have, but I am being actively wooed by a department right now (they've upped my offer and I've now received two emails from Professors in the department). The program is a very good program, I've only applied to one that is higher ranked, however that is the one I'm waiting for, those results are expected to come out this week. The great offer has a deadline of March 14th, if I do not get accepted or receive a subpar funding offer from the one I'm waiting for, I plan on accepting the great offer by the end of this week. So my question is what is the proper protocol here? Do I let them know I'm waiting for other results before I make my decision? I definitely don't want to burn bridges since I will most likely end up accepting so what is the best course of action here? NEVER thought this was a question I would be asking, but here we go. Any advice is very welcome! 

Absolutely ask for an extension. Is this a program in the US? If so, they have to give you until April 15, so the offer shouldn't expire on March 14 anyway.

8 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Absolutely ask for an extension. Is this a program in the US? If so, they have to give you until April 15, so the offer shouldn't expire on March 14 anyway.

It's in Canada, I'm not sure if we have the same rules regarding the deadline. I think I'll be able to give them an answer by the end of this week as long as the rumours about the results are true. Should the email read something like "I am seriously considering the offer, but am waiting to hear from one school before I accept?" Or is that too much information? I just want to make sure that I'm responding in the best way possible. I wish I was better at this. 

Edited by PoliPixie
used the wrong word because I'm stressed and exhausted.

41 minutes ago, PoliPixie said:

It's in Canada, I'm not sure if we have the same rules regarding the deadline. I think I'll be able to give them an answer by the end of this week as long as the rumours about the results are true. Should the email read something like "I am seriously considering the offer, but am waiting to hear from one school before I accept?" Or is that too much information? I just want to make sure that I'm responding in the best way possible. I wish I was better at this. 

I was in this position last year and the schools happily gave me extension! I just said I was considering ______ University strongly but wanted to ensure I had full information and had heard from everyone before making nay decisions. It's gonna be okay! And congrats on your offers!

1 minute ago, ultraultra said:

I was in this position last year and the schools happily gave me extension! I just said I was considering ______ University strongly but wanted to ensure I had full information and had heard from everyone before making nay decisions. It's gonna be okay! And congrats on your offers!

Thank you! You would think this part would be less stressful, but it totally isn't. And of course, I assume like most of us, I overanalyze everything they write and everything I write. I just want to fast forward through this, and be past the making a decision part and the getting ready to uproot my life part (because that actually sounds less stressful at the moment). 

So, here's what I have for my PhD applications...

Oregon State University, Geography: Accepted, Funded
University of New Hampshire, Natural Resources & Earth Systems Science: Accepted, almost certainly Funded
UC-Boulder, Environmental Studies: Rejected
Oregon State University, Public Policy: Rejected
University of Southern California, Public Policy: Rejected

I'm still waiting for these. Any updates from folks would be appreciated...

UC-Boulder, Political Science: I saw that some other folks have already heard, but maybe that was a different semester.
UC Davis, Ecology: No word at all.

1 hour ago, rationalconsumer said:

So, here's what I have for my PhD applications...

Oregon State University, Geography: Accepted, Funded
University of New Hampshire, Natural Resources & Earth Systems Science: Accepted, almost certainly Funded
UC-Boulder, Environmental Studies: Rejected
Oregon State University, Public Policy: Rejected
University of Southern California, Public Policy: Rejected

I'm still waiting for these. Any updates from folks would be appreciated...

UC-Boulder, Political Science: I saw that some other folks have already heard, but maybe that was a different semester.
UC Davis, Ecology: No word at all.

Boulder is out. Waitlist coming out on 15th march!

Before anyone asks, some funding letters are out from OSU and some are not. Long story. Basically, different entities within the U. send their own funding letters. The Department letters should be coming out in a day or two. Until those arrive, don't panic if you don't hear anything.

So I'm still waiting to hear back from a program that sent out its acceptances three weeks ago and rejections last week, but I still haven't heard anything. I'm guessing it's some kind of informal waitlist? But I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether it would be appropriate to contact the department administrator to ask about the status of my application. Thanks y'all!

Look at cost of living, quality of life, relations between faculty-faculty, faculty-students, and students-students. If all things are the same, look at the location you can see yourself living at for the next half of a decade.