American Studies 2016

Figured it was about time someone started this topic!

Who else is in the process of applying for AMS programs? Where are you looking and what are you hoping to study?

I started this same thread two years ago when I was applying for my M.A. Now I'm off to PhD land (hopefully), and would love to have a similar place to share stories and anxieties.

I'm an international student (Southeast Asian) applying to American Studies and Ethnic Studies.

UC Berkeley (PhD, Comparative Ethnic Studies), Univ. of Nottingham UK (PhD, Critical Theory and American Studies), Sussex University UK (PhD American Literature). I have a BA in English from University of Indonesia, an MA in Asian American Studies from a state university in California, some honors, international conference talks, and a Fulbright scholarship.

Excellent TOEFL score, but low GRE scores. Thankfully the programs I'm applying to don't ask for GRE scores.

Will have strong recommendation letter, and I've been in touch with a potential advisor who encouraged (implied?) that I should apply to his program. 

I'm so nervous! I've been revising my SoP, personal history statement, sample writing, etc a million times and I still feel that they're not good enough. 

I wish everyone a good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the American Culture Studies program at Bowling Green State University; I'm exploring back-ups but am only applying to this program this year (I know, not the greatest idea, but I'm employed FT so delaying a year to pursue Plan B schools isn't a big deal). I'm taking the GRE next week and stressing about it.

Got my GRE done this weekend! My target program claimed quantitative was basically ignored, so I put all my study eggs in the verbal basket and got a 165! Still waiting on essay scores, obviously, but I feel like this is pretty good. Still nervous, though! Anybody get all their stuff submitted?

Hi all!

I'm planning on applying to a few American Studies programs this year, though I'm still in the process of finalizing which ones. My MA is in Communication, but my research interests primarily involve cultural studies, border studies, and media studies, and I'm finding much better fits for those in American Studies than in Communication. I did a round of PhD applications last fall for all Communication programs, and I didn't find any good fits, so I'm spreading my net a bit wider this year. I will still probably apply to one or two Communication programs, ones that have a more critical/cultural focus, but I think the majority of my apps will be to American Studies programs. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all more as the deadlines approach!

@The Interdisciplinarian Congrats on getting your GRE done and on your kickass verbal score!

I've had my MA comprehensive exams this week so my PhD apps have been on the backburner a bit, but I'm going to get back to work on them this weekend. Hoping to get them all mostly done this month.

On 11/5/2015, 7:14:02, verycunning said:

@The Interdisciplinarian Congrats on getting your GRE done and on your kickass verbal score!

I've had my MA comprehensive exams this week so my PhD apps have been on the backburner a bit, but I'm going to get back to work on them this weekend. Hoping to get them all mostly done this month.

Thanks! Good luck on your MA comps! Some folks I know in PhD programs already just did those and the whole process sounds very stressful. I'm so thankful my MA program didn't require that, but I know my target PhD program does. Oof.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a general American Studies question:

I went through the cycle last year, and eventually chose not to pursue a PhD. Nothing with regards to my application has changed - I didn't take the GRE again - but I did decide that when I reapply, I'm going to apply to exclusively American Studies programs. However, this cycle, I am considering putting together an application for an M.A. in Cinema Studies through Brooklyn College's grad school. The program is new, and much more affordable than other cinema studies programs. It also doesn't require a GRE score, which I find helpful.

Would having an MA in Cinema Studies hurt or help any eventual American Studies PhD application? I know the work I want to do in Am. Studies will be interdisciplinary, involving film and media as well as literature and history. 

@BLeonard I imagine it would depend on your previous American Studies experience. If you can demonstrate that you've taken AmSt courses or worked with AmSt professors, I can't imagine a related M.A. would hurt you. Just show that you've got the historical training and understanding the particular methodologies and theorists of the field.

As to whether it would help you, that's also hard to say. I tend to hold the opinion that students who have finished an M.A. are stronger candidates for a PhD, as those 1-3 years can aid your writing and research skills immeasurably. But for something as interdisciplinary as AMSt, I don't think it matters too much what field your M.A. is in as long as you can demonstrate that you've done your research about how AmSt will be different.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24.12.2015 at 4:22 AM, kateosee said:

Hey all! I went through this last year and am a PhD student at UMich. I don't see anyone applying there but if anyone has questions, happy to answer. 

Good luck everyone! 

Hey kateosee, I'm applying to the Phd program in American Culture at UMich. I'm an international applicant (from Turkey), and I don't really know if I have a chance or not, but I wonder what the department's stance would be towards a doctoral research on Turkish immigration to the U.S. with a focus on transnational masculinities. And, do you have any ideas about when they make the decisions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi heddatron, 

I learned of their decision in early February of this year. I think February is the typical time frame. 

As for your area of research, I know that UMich is trying to expand their Arab & Muslim American studies program. We're actually bringing on a new faculty member next year who specializes in gender & the Middle East (I don't know who it will be, they're still in the search process but that is what they're looking for). I think your area of interest would be quite interesting to our department and would certainly fit in with the mission of AC here to expand the study of American Culture beyond the borders of the US. In other words, I definitely don't think that your area of interest would keep you out of the program due to lack of fit. 

Also, UMich typically tries to get an entering class of 6-8. My cohort only has 2 students and because of that they may be looking to expand the size of the incoming cohort. 

Best of luck! 

10 hours ago, kateosee said:

Hi heddatron, 

I learned of their decision in early February of this year. I think February is the typical time frame. 

As for your area of research, I know that UMich is trying to expand their Arab & Muslim American studies program. We're actually bringing on a new faculty member next year who specializes in gender & the Middle East (I don't know who it will be, they're still in the search process but that is what they're looking for). I think your area of interest would be quite interesting to our department and would certainly fit in with the mission of AC here to expand the study of American Culture beyond the borders of the US. In other words, I definitely don't think that your area of interest would keep you out of the program due to lack of fit. 

Also, UMich typically tries to get an entering class of 6-8. My cohort only has 2 students and because of that they may be looking to expand the size of the incoming cohort. 

Best of luck! 

Hi kateosee, I really appreciate your detailed response. It is actually great to hear all these promising news about the department's growing interest in Muslim American studies!

Thank you so much! 

On 10/23/2015 at 11:10 AM, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the American Culture Studies program at Bowling Green State University; I'm exploring back-ups but am only applying to this program this year (I know, not the greatest idea, but I'm employed FT so delaying a year to pursue Plan B schools isn't a big deal). I'm taking the GRE next week and stressing about it.

Neato! I'm applying to the Popular Culture MA at BGSU. It's in the same school as ACS. Maybe we'll see each other, with some luck. 

It's a fairly small program, so I can't imagine I wouldn't run into another grad student, even if situated within another cluster.

On 12/30/2015 at 9:53 AM, Neist said:

Neato! I'm applying to the Popular Culture MA at BGSU. It's in the same school as ACS. Maybe we'll see each other, with some luck. 

It's a fairly small program, so I can't imagine I wouldn't run into another grad student, even if situated within another cluster.

Awesome, Neist! Good luck!

Well, all my apps were due this week, so I am finally done! Now for the waiting. It doesn't help that I am also currently unemployed and have way too much time on my hands to reread things and notice typos and freak out. Sigh.

On 1/4/2016 at 1:23 PM, verycunning said:

Well, all my apps were due this week, so I am finally done! Now for the waiting. It doesn't help that I am also currently unemployed and have way too much time on my hands to reread things and notice typos and freak out. Sigh.

my apps are all done as of yesterday - i also discovered a one letter typo in my purpose statement to three of six programs to which i applied. that i am not the only one to have a typo gives me hope it won't matter

i really had trouble when some apps required pdfs instead of docs and during conversion the spacing and spelling was sometimes off

Hello All!

I'm applying to AMST PhD. programs at Harvard, BU and Brown. Also the History PhD. program at UConn. I'm a 52-year-old retired prison guard hoping to examine the rise of mass incarceration in the US. I'm currently finishing my ALM in History at Harvard EXT with a GPA of 3.85 and my verbal GRE was 162 (I'd rather not post my math score as it is QUITE embarrassing!). I have three very strong recommendations from three influential Harvard profs and interest in my research topic from two or three AMST faculty members at Harvard. I've even spoken to an undergrad class there about my experiences in the prison system. I hoping to stay at where I am, but acceptance to either of the other schools would make me equally as elated. Are there any posters here that have applied to any of the programs I have that may be able to ease my decision waiting game angst? Thanks!! 

Edited by CTKopster
Typos

On 1/13/2016 at 10:09 AM, CTKopster said:

Hello All!

I'm applying to AMST PhD. programs at Harvard, BU and Brown. Also the History PhD. program at UConn. I'm a 52-year-old retired prison guard hoping to examine the rise of mass incarceration in the US. I'm currently finishing my ALM in History at Harvard EXT with a GPA of 3.85 and my verbal GRE was 162 (I'd rather not post my math score as it is QUITE embarrassing!). I have three very strong recommendations from three influential Harvard profs and interest in my research topic from two or three AMST faculty members at Harvard. I've even spoken to an undergrad class there about my experiences in the prison system. I hoping to stay at where I am, but acceptance to either of the other schools would make me equally as elated. Are there any posters here that have applied to any of the programs I have that may be able to ease my decision waiting game angst? Thanks!! 

I've also applied to all three of those! Your experiences sound fascinating and I wish you the best of luck.

On January 14, 2016 at 3:26 PM, kitzi94 said:

hey everyone. I wonder if anyone has heard anything from USC? it seems they started notifying people last year around this time.

I'm going to be on the edge of my seat tomorrow. "Tomorrow" is the date that overlaps with last year's first acceptance. (That was the most confusing sentence I've ever written in my entire life lol).