Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

On 2/13/2016 at 11:55 AM, Boronmage said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or Wisconsin Madison? 

I called Wisconsin this morning. I was told that if I didn't hear from them so far, I should take any offers that I have been offered by other schools. Basically, I was kindly told that I should be expecting a rejection letter. 
I didn't bother to call Northwestern because I figured that it would be the same thing.

To the person who got the acceptance to UNC Chapel Hill for Social Psych-- would you mind please sending me a PM with the name of your adviser? I went to the interview but so far, I haven't heard back from my potential adviser.

To the poster indicating that they have an interview at SUNY Albany... can you possibly tell me who your PI is? (Through a PM, of course)

Still waiting to hear back... I know it's early, but it seems as though interview invitations were already sent out. :(

Hope everyone is well. Waiting to hear back after interviews is killing me! I was certain I'd hear back last week after an interview the week before, but nothing. 

What all is in an offer? I assume there is a lot more red tape than just choosing who they want to work with, but getting funding approved, etc. Is that why it takes so long, or do they just take their time because they are busy?

1 hour ago, homonculus said:

Hope everyone is well. Waiting to hear back after interviews is killing me! I was certain I'd hear back last week after an interview the week before, but nothing. 

What all is in an offer? I assume there is a lot more red tape than just choosing who they want to work with, but getting funding approved, etc. Is that why it takes so long, or do they just take their time because they are busy?

I think it depends how many people were invited to the interview and the politics of sorting out which students go with which professors. So far my experience has been the skype/phone interview weeds out quite a bit and then it's fairly clear that the professor wants you to work with you if you're invited to the in person interview. I have heard lots of other scenarios, though (like where 3-4 prospective students are invited for each professor). The funding situation is also more important depending on the program. Some have faced more budget cuts than others, and some rely on the specific professor's funding rather than the institution as a whole. I think that's the main thing I've learned through this process, that nothing is really clear cut. And you're right, the professors are still teaching their own classes and we're getting to midterms about now, so sometimes they are just plain busy.

The waiting is agonizing! All 3 of my wait times following interviews were very different from one another and I still haven't gotten any official rejections, even from the schools I didn't get interviews for.

1 hour ago, homonculus said:

I completely agree with @CatLady4Lyfe that all programs function a little differently. Also, some professors will do things very differently than others even at the same school.

From what I have experienced red tape can be a big issue at some schools. For example, your POI could've already recommended you for admission but has to wait to hear back from the dean for approval before they tell you. Or they have to do a departmental vote on students and, as you said, they're all very busy so scheduling this can become difficult. Or your POI may have submitted you for an university fellowship and are waiting to hear back about that so that they have all the financial information (whether you will be TAing, RAing, on fellowship, etc.) before telling you the good news. Any number of possibilities could delay things which just makes waiting even more excruciating for all use applicants but try to stay positive and distract yourself with other things in the mean time.

Additionally, if you have any more interviews coming up, you can always ask what their timeline looks like as far as making decisions. I have personally found that most POIs understand and are very receptive to questions about decision timelines.

Good luck and I hope you hear back soon!

On February 23, 2016 at 0:51 AM, Boronmage said:

Has anyone heard from Tufts social psychology? 

Two people on the results board seem to have gotten rejections. I'm waiting for hear back too, I'll post when I do. Did you interview? I didn't, so I assume I'll be getting a pretty disappointing email in the next couple of days. 

• 3 weeks later...

Heard last week I was on the waitlist for Tufts; I had to contact them to find out though. 

On February 22, 2016 at 0:51 AM, Boronmage said:

Has anyone heard from Tufts social psychology?