Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

Hi everyone,

This is my second year applying to social psych programs. Last year I was glued to the social psych thread. I've been waiting for someone to start it again, but since some of the other areas have threads already, I thought I'd throw this out there.

In the last year I've gotten an additional year of research, finished and submitted my undergrad thesis for publication, and refined my interests quite a bit over last year, so I'm really excited to start submitting. 

I'm interested to hear your experiences applying in the past, what you've learned, what your interests are, and where you plan to apply.

Hopefully this can be helpful for all of us!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Nice to see another second time applicant in social psych! Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm applying to Social and I/O programs this year. I, too, have gained additional research experience and it's really helped me figure out what I want to study in the future. My focus is broadly based on issues surrounding gender. I'm still refining the apply list, which need to be done soon since most schools have deadlines in December! This year is speeding past. Yikes. 

Nice to finally find another social applicant!

Last year was pretty crazy in terms of competitiveness. Oregon had 545 social applicants for 11 spots! I'm wondering if we can expect similar numbers this year.

I'm also trying to finalize my applications, I only have 5 schools for sure, and a couple more I"m hoping to apply to: 5 PhD and 2 MA programs. I wanted to apply to at least 10, but these were the places I really felt were a match. Here's hoping for the best!

Hello, my people! Ditto to everyone else - good luck to all, and I'm so ready to get this show on the road. Submitted my last application last week, and now to play the waiting game. This is my first time applying to Social programs, but second round applying to PhD programs (long story, thought I wanted to go Clinical...). It's been a much calmer, more strategic process this time - hopefully it pays off :) Where are y'all applying? I'm looking at:

University of Oregon

University of Texas

Wayne State University

University of Florida

University of Georgia

University of New Orleans

Hello, my people! Ditto to everyone else - good luck to all, and I'm so ready to get this show on the road. Submitted my last application last week, and now to play the waiting game. This is my first time applying to Social programs, but second round applying to PhD programs (long story, thought I wanted to go Clinical...). It's been a much calmer, more strategic process this time - hopefully it pays off :) Where are y'all applying? I'm looking at:

University of Oregon

University of Texas

Wayne State University

University of Florida

University of Georgia

University of New Orleans

Not gonna lie, I was trying so hard to find a research fit in a school in New Orleans. I'd LOVE to live there :) Wayne State's also on my list. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for those who have been accepted.

I notice on here some people talk about how they emailed their POI and they started engaging in long conversations before they even submitted their application. What level of interaction did you have with your POI before applying/being accepted? I feel like my POI's have given me good responses (e.g., that I seem like a great fit for their lab), but I'm wondering what responses you guys got.

On 11/15/2015, 11:38:28, homonculus said:

I notice on here some people talk about how they emailed their POI and they started engaging in long conversations before they even submitted their application. What level of interaction did you have with your POI before applying/being accepted? I feel like my POI's have given me good responses (e.g., that I seem like a great fit for their lab), but I'm wondering what responses you guys got.

Before applying, I personally did not have long conversations with any POIs. I emailed about five, and had great responses from 3 or 4, with one of them asking me to follow up about lab space later on. After applying, the program/POI I am attending now emailed me a few times back and forth with questions which felt like an interview but I'm not sure what to call it. A few weeks later I got a phone call with the acceptance. I've heard of people being accepted without emailing POIs as well, so you never know!

On 11/15/2015, 11:38:28, homonculus said:

With regard to this, if you already know the POI is accepting students, how did you initiate a conversation via email or otherwise?  I've received some good responses from people when I had to inquire as to whether or not they were taking students, but the remaining professors I'm interested in working with state clearly on their pages that they are accepting students, so....

3 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

With regard to this, if you already know the POI is accepting students, how did you initiate a conversation via email or otherwise?  I've received some good responses from people when I had to inquire as to whether or not they were taking students, but the remaining professors I'm interested in working with state clearly on their pages that they are accepting students, so....

In my case, I emailed saying I'm planning to apply to their program, and that I wanted to see if I seem like a good fit for their lab. I did a short paragraph (maybe two sentences) about my interests, then a short paragraph about my research experiences, then closed asking if I seem like a good fit for their lab and asking what they look for in a prospective student. I also attached my CV every time, and from their responses it seems like they looked over it.

When I applied last year I basically just said I was going to apply and asked if they were taking students, and this year I got much more encouraging responses. I think including some of your interests is key. If you have any legitimate questions about their research to ask, that also might get you in the door. 

On 10/28/2015, 2:29:57, lbierstedt said:

Hello, my people! Ditto to everyone else - good luck to all,....

What professor(s) are you applying to at UGA? I'm completing my undergrad here and could you all about the program and Athens if you are interested!

21 minutes ago, acole1177 said:

What professor(s) are you applying to at UGA? I'm completing my undergrad here and could you all about the program and Athens if you are interested!

Are you kidding, I'd love to hear about it :) I'll PM you. Thanks!

I'm working hard to get my summer research paper submitted before the deadline; I also made a major fail in trying to create a fancy SOP that only mentioned the specific programs and POI at the very end so i'm completely redoing all of them. Ugh. 

On 11/15/2015, 8:38:28, homonculus said:

I had weekly email exchanges with a POI for almost three months then got rejected. Also emailed a few times and had two Skype convos with another, also rejected. On the other hand, I got basically a "yep, please apply" and nothing else from two of the schools I was accepted at. Application season was a rollercoaster ride for me haha

On 11/17/2015, 12:02:22, homonculus said:

In my case, I emailed saying I'm planning to apply to their program, and that I wanted to see if I seem like a good fit for their lab. I did a short paragraph (maybe two sentences) about my interests, then a short paragraph about my research experiences, then closed asking if I seem like a good fit for their lab and asking what they look for in a prospective student. I also attached my CV every time, and from their responses it seems like they looked over it.

When I applied last year I basically just said I was going to apply and asked if they were taking students, and this year I got much more encouraging responses. I think including some of your interests is key. If you have any legitimate questions about their research to ask, that also might get you in the door. 

I completely agree with this. I did ask a few people explicitly if they were accepting students, but most others I just emailed saying I was applying and wanted to introduce myself/let them know a little more about me. I also told them how my interests fit into their interests, and asked a couple specific questions I had about their work/something else on their website/CV.

26 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

AWWWWWW YISSSSSS. Submitted my first completed application of the season! Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Awesome!! That's such a good feeling! :) 

On 11/23/2015, 7:20:19, mb712 said:

I had weekly email exchanges with a POI for almost three months then got rejected. Also emailed a few times and had two Skype convos with another, also rejected. On the other hand, I got basically a "yep, please apply" and nothing else from two of the schools I was accepted at. Application season was a rollercoaster ride for me haha

Darn I guess having longer conversations with potential PIs prior to real interviews mean nothing? How were your skype conversations? I've had a few sykpe/phone calls and now I'm thinking they won't really help my chances!