Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

47 minutes ago, acole1177 said:

Yeah UW is definitely one of my longshot programs as well, but getting to go to grad school at such an amazing program in a beautiful city would be unbelievable.

It does seem like a very excellent program, as do most of the places I'm applying. But I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least try! 

4 hours ago, Mystic_Fog said:

I did! What I actually did for people who were already clear on their webpages that they were accepting students was say "I would like to confirm that you are still accepting students for Fall 2016 enrollment"  to show that I did my homework and knew. 

My POI at Wash sent me a very positive response and I was glad I contacted my POI at Conn; turns out she was planning on accepting grad students but something happened (I'm not sure what) and she wasn't anymore but her page didn't reflect that. So when I emailed her, she actually told me her page was out of date and she wasn't accepting students this year anymore. Luckily, I was able to switch to a different POI, otherwise that would've been a whole app down the drain! 

They are all fantastic programs and I love all of them, so I'm a bit nervous because while I have some awesome/unique experiences, my objective criteria is pretty middle of the road. I guess we'll see what happens! 

Yeah, that was smart to do. I think I should have done that at both schools. If you're interested in intergroup relations, we probably had the same POI at UConn who isn't taking students after all. I have another POI there but that program is not one of my top choices anyway. 

UW would be awesome (LOVE Seattle) but I'm pretty sure I won't even make the short list for that one. But I had to try because of you don't apply then you for sure have zero chance, lol.

4 hours ago, jlh26 said:

Yeah, that was smart to do. I think I should have done that at both schools. If you're interested in intergroup relations, we probably had the same POI at UConn who isn't taking students after all. I have another POI there but that program is not one of my top choices anyway. 

UW would be awesome (LOVE Seattle) but I'm pretty sure I won't even make the short list for that one. But I had to try because of you don't apply then you for sure have zero chance, lol.

Maybe - my main area is stigmatized identities, especially concealable ones. I'm not sure of UW (or any of my programs really) either, but like you said, you never know unless you try!

On 12/10/2015 at 0:22 PM, jlh26 said:

YES!! I don't know if I will get offers at either place but I'd still appreciate feedback on what it's like to live in both places. Not being from California, my main concern there is the extremely high cost of living. But I'm also curious about the social environment. As for Houston, I know nothing about it and would love to know your thoughts. 

I'm applying to UC Santa Cruz too! It's actually the only program I'm applying to (!!!) I also went there for undergrad. I graduated 5 years ago but could tell you a lot about the town and the campus, and at least what their undergrad psychology program is like. Obviously I loved it, since I want to go back! Let me know if you have any questions, or if you'd just like someone to wait out UCSC decisions with. :)

36 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

did you guys mention a few POIs in each application or specifically just one? Thanks! 

I did at least two in each one. In fact, I didn't apply to any place where I only had one POI.

5 hours ago, RD said:

I'm applying to UC Santa Cruz too! It's actually the only program I'm applying to (!!!) I also went there for undergrad. I graduated 5 years ago but could tell you a lot about the town and the campus, and at least what their undergrad psychology program is like. Obviously I loved it, since I want to go back! Let me know if you have any questions, or if you'd just like someone to wait out UCSC decisions with. :)

Yeah I would love to know your thoughts on the campus, town, program and professors, etc.

Do you know if it's a really difficult program to get into? 

Feel free to PM me.

Edited by jlh26

I would love to go back to Seattle for school, but it isn't going to happen. I tried so hard to force a research fit with someone at UW, but I figured I shouldn't waste an application to a place that wasn't going to take me for an obvious lack of fit :) Haha, oh well! Go Huskies!

Also, I'm currently trying to finish a last minute application. Personal statement word limit on this one is 500 words, but they freaking ask for your entire life story! How the hell am I supposed to tell someone why I picked psychology, why I want a graduate degree, my research and interests background, and who I want to work with all in 500 words?!?! I'm sitting at 540 words and I'm this close to scrapping the damn thing and writing a haiku instead.

I will work for you
Pick me or I will cry
I will study hard

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I would love to go back to Seattle for school, but it isn't going to happen. I tried so hard to force a research fit with someone at UW, but I figured I shouldn't waste an application to a place that wasn't going to take me for an obvious lack of fit :) Haha, oh well! Go Huskies!

Also, I'm currently trying to finish a last minute application. Personal statement word limit on this one is 500 words, but they freaking ask for your entire life story! How the hell am I supposed to tell someone why I picked psychology, why I want a graduate degree, my research and interests background, and who I want to work with all in 500 words?!?! I'm sitting at 540 words and I'm this close to scrapping the damn thing and writing a haiku instead.

I will work for you
Pick me or I will cry
I will study hard

Right?!  I get it that they have to sort through a pile of applications a mile high and time is precious, but how are we supposed to explain anything substantive in one page/500 words?  I like your haiku idea.

10 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

Right?!  I get it that they have to sort through a pile of applications a mile high and time is precious, but how are we supposed to explain anything substantive in one page/500 words?  I like your haiku idea.

I kept it to a nice single spaced page, but yeah...561 words. Any less and it sounded like crap. It'll take them an extra six seconds to read :)

17 hours ago, xEB0511 said:

Depends on the school. I have a mix of both but I never listed more than two. 

Same here. I've also heard that if you talk about multiple POI's they want to know who your first pick is, and generally speaking, the people who are your second, third, etc will rarely consider you since you presumably have a better fit with someone else. So in mine I discussed one, but for UW I discussed two because they wanted you to; I specifically, highlighted the similarities their research had to mine but discussed why one may be a slightly better fit than the other.

On 12/10/2015 at 2:22 PM, jlh26 said:
42 minutes ago, sarahgeeeeee said:

Congrats to everyone who has submitted all of their applications! Time to relax and try not to panic. :rolleyes:

I was doing so well with the not panicking thing, and that has all gone out the window, haha. 

Edited by lbierstedt

17 hours ago, acole1177 said:

It's already bad now when mainly clinical people are getting invites. Once the social wave hits :blink:

If it makes you feel any better (which it may or may not), I doubt many programs will even start looking at applications until January! From my understanding, admissions departments often take a while to organize and send the psych department the complete applications.

Is it standard practice for social programs to do admissions interviews? I've been through the application process once before for clinical psych programs, and I've never heard of a clinical program that didn't interview. But I applied to the social psych program at UC Santa Cruz, and past results on gradcafe are all accepted/rejected with the exception of a few "informal interviews." I tried contacting the program about a week ago to ask about it, but all I have is an email address and I haven't heard back. Does it make sense that they wouldn't interview at all?

53 minutes ago, RD said:

Is it standard practice for social programs to do admissions interviews? I've been through the application process once before for clinical psych programs, and I've never heard of a clinical program that didn't interview. But I applied to the social psych program at UC Santa Cruz, and past results on gradcafe are all accepted/rejected with the exception of a few "informal interviews." I tried contacting the program about a week ago to ask about it, but all I have is an email address and I haven't heard back. Does it make sense that they wouldn't interview at all?

Depends on the program I suppose. My programs all do, but there are always programs who go against the norm. 

So what is everyone doing to hold themselves at bay? I'm focusing on conferences I have coming up and analyzing data. I think the worst part about waiting is that the majority of the waiting period is done over winter break, when we aren't buried under a pile of school work. 

Edited by Mystic_Fog
Typos

3 hours ago, Mystic_Fog said:

Depends on the program I suppose. My programs all do, but there are always programs who go against the norm. 

So what is everyone doing to hold themselves at bay? I'm focusing on conferences I have coming up and analyzing data. I think the worst part about waiting is that the majority of the waiting period is done over winter break, when we aren't buried under a pile of school work. 

Alcohol, mostly ;) 

Trying to balance between continuing to live my life and realizing that Plan B may turn into a reality if things don't work out. Lots of self-care. And spending time with my cats :)

18 minutes ago, lbierstedt said:

Alcohol, mostly ;) 

Trying to balance between continuing to live my life and realizing that Plan B may turn into a reality if things don't work out. Lots of self-care. And spending time with my cats :)

Here, here! Alcohol and cats are a cure-all. Browsing the forums and watching Netflix have been taking up a lot of time this week!