Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

I can add that I've heard from CUNY - basic and applied (interview in a 02/05), and from Colorado Boulder (interview 02/12). 

Wish you best of luck, and hope that something works out!

I just got an email this morning from my POI at UCSC saying he's recommending me for admission! It was such a shock because I had no contact whatsoever from him or the program since I submitted my application. I'm so excited!! PM me if you want to know my POI or have any other questions!

Hi, 

Has anyone heard anything from the Canadian Universities (UofT, Waterloo, Dalhousie or UBC) for social psych? My friend got an interview for Waterloo's program, but I still haven't heard anything. Quite nervous. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, UofT Grad said:

Hi, 

Has anyone heard anything from the Canadian Universities (UofT, Waterloo, Dalhousie or UBC) for social psych? My friend got an interview for Waterloo's program, but I still haven't heard anything. Quite nervous. 

Thanks!

UofT had interviews/recruitment day on January 22nd. As per UBC, I have yet to hear anything from them. I'm not sure about Waterloo or Dalhousie.

1 hour ago, UofT Grad said:

Hi, 

Thanks!

UBC sent out invites at the end of December/start of January, their interview weekend is (I think) the second week in February. I didn't get an invite, and I'm not expecting one anymore. 

5 minutes ago, J said:

UofT had interviews/recruitment day on January 22nd. As per UBC, I have yet to hear anything from them. I'm not sure about Waterloo or Dalhousie.

Good to hear, I never saw anything about Toronto on the results page. I'm guessing I can expect a rejection from them as well. 

2 hours ago, SamplingError said:

Hi, if the person who reported the interview at UMass Amherst would be willing to share their POI and any info they may have on their interview invitation timeline, please PM me! Also, has anyone else heard from them yet? Thanks!

My SO applied to the cognitive division and has not heard anything yet. This seems like an early invite for the program because it looks like they usually send out invites during the first two weeks of February, but who knows, maybe they are doing it early this year!

5 hours ago, SamplingError said:

Hi, if the person who reported the interview at UMass Amherst would be willing to share their POI and any info they may have on their interview invitation timeline, please PM me! Also, has anyone else heard from them yet? Thanks!

I had a phone call with a social psych at UMass Amherst. Haven't heard back re: interview though, so I don't expect an invite. 

To those that applied to Canadian programs: has anyone heard from York yet for the Social and Personality MA? I saw one post on the admission results board, but this was for the clinical program and I believe the open house dates differ by specialization. 

1 hour ago, gemnerd said:

To those that applied to Canadian programs: has anyone heard from York yet for the Social and Personality MA? I saw one post on the admission results board, but this was for the clinical program and I believe the open house dates differ by specialization. 

I was interviewed last year, and they had the dates on the same day. If it wasn't, it may have occurred around the same time as UofT's (according to a UofT prof, York does this in case there are overlapping international/out-of-province invites, so the financial and time burden is lessened for the applicant). 

I also want to mention that I've heard from other people that some profs interview outside those dates. 

Edited by Oshawott

On 1/28/2016 at 2:30 PM, UofT Grad said:

Waterloo

I believe they've sent out six or seven invites already. Visits are definitely being planned. I don't have firsthand knowledge, but I heard from people--so grain of salt.

48 minutes ago, flamingmunchkin said:

Has anyone heard from Northeastern? Nothing for social psych has shown up in the result listings for this application cycle, and it's the only program I've applied to for which I haven't an inkling as to what's going on. 

On January 7, my SO received an email from his POI inviting him to interview weekend. Although he did not apply to social, his POI told him in the email that the Northeastern Psychology department as a whole had completed the first round of reviewing graduate applications, and this was on January 7.

Additionally, the interview weekend for the department is being held on February 12 and I believe I spoke to someone on here who indicated that they had been invited to interview weekend and that they applied to Social. The administrative assistant also wanted interview weekend confirmation by January 15. Hope this helps.

If you would like to confirm, Rebecca Schachter is extremely helpful if you want to email her and ask.

2 hours ago, flamingmunchkin said:

Has anyone heard from Northeastern? Nothing for social psych has shown up in the result listings for this application cycle, and it's the only program I've applied to for which I haven't an inkling as to what's going on. 

I didn't post in results, but was invited to the interview via an email from POI followed by a phone call to give me more details. This happened on January 5th.

On 2/2/2016 at 7:06 PM, Oshawott said:

I was interviewed last year, and they had the dates on the same day. If it wasn't, it may have occurred around the same time as UofT's (according to a UofT prof, York does this in case there are overlapping international/out-of-province invites, so the financial and time burden is lessened for the applicant). 

I also want to mention that I've heard from other people that some profs interview outside those dates. 

Thank you! Yeah, I finally got an email back from the graduate assistant saying that no interview invitations have been sent yet for Social/ Personality. Phew :) 

To the person who received the official rejection from University of Texas - I'm wondering if you interviewed? On my MyStatus it still says it's under review, but I didn't get an interview, so I'm assuming rejection. Please let me know! You can PM me if that would be more comfortable :)

Hey all! Looking back on an email Clark University sent me when I started my application, they said: "The Psychology Department holds an interview day for prospective graduate students in mid-February. Applicants selected for in-person interviews will be contacted directly. All applicants will be notified of the University’s action no later than April 15."

Of course, it's not unthinkable that they could be running behind, but does anyone know if they've extended interviews for the social program? I see plenty of clinical interviews / rejections on the results page, but no social ones.

Thanks, all! Continued best of luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, socpsychstudnt said:

Hey all! Looking back on an email Clark University sent me when I started my application, they said: "The Psychology Department holds an interview day for prospective graduate students in mid-February. Applicants selected for in-person interviews will be contacted directly. All applicants will be notified of the University’s action no later than April 15."

Of course, it's not unthinkable that they could be running behind, but does anyone know if they've extended interviews for the social program? I see plenty of clinical interviews / rejections on the results page, but no social ones.

I've actually been waiting to hear something from Clark too, but at this point I think it's not looking too good. There actually was a reported phone interview in the results (for Jan 13, posted Jan 14). I PM'ed with that person, who relayed the fact that the faculty would likely be meeting as a group to discuss their initial phone contacts, like, last week or something. So I'm thinking hearing from them at this point is unlikely.  :(

Still crossing my fingers that I'll hear from UMass Amherst, though...the one posting in the results for them was for a different POI.

4 hours ago, SamplingError said:

I've actually been waiting to hear something from Clark too, but at this point I think it's not looking too good. There actually was a reported phone interview in the results (for Jan 13, posted Jan 14). I PM'ed with that person, who relayed the fact that the faculty would likely be meeting as a group to discuss their initial phone contacts, like, last week or something. So I'm thinking hearing from them at this point is unlikely.  :(

Still crossing my fingers that I'll hear from UMass Amherst, though...the one posting in the results for them was for a different POI.

Boo. That is disappointing. Thanks for the info!

14 hours ago, socpsychstudnt said:

Yeah, they're doing their interview "weekend" for social psych this week Wednesday.