Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

On 1/12/2016 at 12:00 PM, PsychWill said:

Will anyone else be in LA this weekend for the USC interview?

Going to the Admitted Student Day at UMichigan on Feb 19. Will I see any of you at any of those??

Research Interests: Social Neuroscience, Decision-Making, Gender and Sexuality, Stereotype Formation

Applied (8) : UCLA, UC Davis, Stanford, USC (Southern California), IU Bloomington, Columbia, U Chicago, U Michigan

Interview Invitations (3/8) : UC Davis, USC, IU

Rejected (0/8) :

Admitted (1/8) : U Michigan (admitted without interview)

Did you apply to the Social Psych or Personality programs at U of Mich?

Would the two OSU social psych acceptances please PM me your POIs?

I thought the results will come out later this week...;-l

I would greatly appreciate your message.

Thanks in advance!

I almost have a mini heart attack every time I see a school I applied to on the search results page, before noticing it's all for clinical programs right now!

I applied to the Rutgers New Brunswick, but out of curiosity, if the people who got invites from Rutgers Newark wouldn't mind sharing their POI (over PM) that would be great!

46 minutes ago, Mystic_Fog said:

I almost have a mini heart attack every time I see a school I applied to on the search results page, before noticing it's all for clinical programs right now!

I applied to the Rutgers New Brunswick, but out of curiosity, if the people who got invites from Rutgers Newark wouldn't mind sharing their POI (over PM) that would be great!

Yeah, I applied to Rutgers New Brunswick for social psych as well, but I'm confused-- what parts of psych are located at Newark and what parts are at New Brunswick?

4 hours ago, jzp406 said:

Yeah, I applied to Rutgers New Brunswick for social psych as well, but I'm confused-- what parts of psych are located at Newark and what parts are at New Brunswick?

I've no idea. I saw that my POI was located in New Brunswick so that's the one I applied to when the application asked me to specify.

4 hours ago, jzp406 said:

Both campuses have social, developmental, cog, etc. The main difference I think is the clinical at NB and the differences between the neuroscience depts. 

On 1/11/2016 at 3:34 PM, jzp406 said:

I knew I wanted to go to grad school during undergrad but didn't want to go straight through. So I wanted to find a job as a research assistant or lab manager in the interim. Towards the end of my senior year of undergrad, I emailed professors across the US with whom I was interested in working. I let them know I was interested in their work and asked if I would be able to find a full-time research position working with them. Those with labs, it was easier to ask something along the lines of "do you have space in your lab?" 

I definitely wanted to find a paid position, but if you're looking for just experience, you can say that too or leave off the "full-time" employment. You can say you are looking for a position to better prepare yourself for a doctoral program in social psychology. 

Fair warning, most people I emailed didn't have funding for an extra research assistant. But I found something eventually. Good luck!

Thanks jzp, this is really helpful.

On 1/11/2016 at 3:31 PM, jre2016 said:

I have heard back from 8 out of the 14 programs I applied to and have gotten phone or in person interviews with 7 of the 14. I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from the other programs. 

For research not affiliated with your institution, I know lab managing is usually an option at another institution if you choose to take a gap year which may or may not be appealing to you. You could also look into Research Experiences for Undergraduates  (REU) through NSF which I have heard very positive things about. I'm sure things will work out for you because you sound very dedicated to and interested in research.

Thanks again jre. Congratulations on your interviews. best luck with those you are still waiting on.

12 hours ago, bhsocial said:

Just curious if anyone has heard from either Cornell or UVA.

Applied to both and have heard nothing. However, they both typically notify in late January, so it's expected. 

If they stay true to form, I think there should be something next week from both, but if they're behind it could be following week.

Would you mind PM-ing me your other schools? Interested to see if we have any others in common

Edited by Freudian_Slip
Typos

Did anyone apply to CUNY? I saw their invites went out and I'm incredibly disappointed because my POI and I had the exact same research interests which is incredibly difficult to find for me. I know research focus changes over time and all but still, v disappointed. 

35 minutes ago, everythingisfine said:

Did anyone apply to CUNY? I saw their invites went out and I'm incredibly disappointed because my POI and I had the exact same research interests which is incredibly difficult to find for me. I know research focus changes over time and all but still, v disappointed. 

Usually the POIs aren't looking for folks with exact same research interests because they want their students to be able to contribute something new. Sometimes they are just looking for someone with similar interests that can take the field in a new direction. It's of course certainly disappointing, but it may not have anything to do with your application, they may just be short on funding too. I hope another school works out for you, and if not there's always next year!

2 hours ago, icantseethespacebar said:

Usually the POIs aren't looking for folks with exact same research interests because they want their students to be able to contribute something new. Sometimes they are just looking for someone with similar interests that can take the field in a new direction. It's of course certainly disappointing, but it may not have anything to do with your application, they may just be short on funding too. I hope another school works out for you, and if not there's always next year!

Wow,yes, this is very helpful. Neither my mentors or my PIs mentioned this in considering research interests so I hadn't really thought about it in this way.

I am a first time applicant so the process is a bit daunting for me. I just turned down a full time research position at a think tank in order to wait for graduate responses. Is it normal to not have heard something by now?

I applied to

CUNY - Basic and Applied

Stony Brook

WashU

Tufts

Wisconsin Madison

Northwestern

Purdue

University of Maryland

If anyone knows anything I would be extremely thankful :)