Electrical/Computer Engineering admission results?

durlov

as nobody writes the age in CVs.

this is a measure against age discrimination. probably the admission office uses this information to determine an age distribution of their applicants, but i doubt it they use it directly in their admission decisions. from the background of an applicant you can indirectly say something about their age. for instance, one who got his master and then went in the workforce for about 2 years, most likely he/she is about 25 years old. in the US is so common to suddenly change your career so I don't think age matters that much for the admission committee.

lukas, mult noroc :lol:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

I have been accepted at Caltech. So the wait is over. For those who weren't accepted there: it's a very very small place, so you must be both good and have a lot of luck to find an advisor with similar interests! they told me that receive loads of extremely good applications, so, in their case, the usual rejection letter burb "... we had to reject many qualified applicants ..." is actually true.

This "support" group was very helpful during the wait :-)

Good luck to everybody!

I've applied to the following places for EE (with status in parentheses):

Columbia (waiting)

Drexel (accepted, waiting on funding (had interview last friday))

Northwestern (waiting)

Arizona State (waiting)

also, i got into UCSB's media arts and technology program, but i'm waiting on funding. and i got into mcgill music technology, but with no funding . . .

lukas, how did you find out you were waitlisted from northwestern? and when? if you contacted someone, who did you contact? i don't know if i should contact the graduate director since he's a professor . .

besides that, i guess at least some accepted students have already heard from columbia, but any other word? anyone know if i can assume rejection from columbia at this point? and anyone know anything about ASU?

i'm getting really impatient at this point.

Hi all!

I have been accepted at Caltech. So the wait is over. For those who weren't accepted there: it's a very very small place, so you must be both good and have a lot of luck to find an advisor with similar interests! they told me that receive loads of extremely good applications, so, in their case, the usual rejection letter burb "... we had to reject many qualified applicants ..." is actually true.

This "support" group was very helpful during the wait :-)

Good luck to everybody!

Congrats lifegoeson!!!

I've applied to the following places for EE (with status in parentheses):

Columbia (waiting)

Drexel (accepted, waiting on funding (had interview last friday))

Northwestern (waiting)

Arizona State (waiting)

i'm getting really impatient at this point.

I am waiting columbia too (ee phd) , u ms or phd?

I've seen some admits from columbia ee (both ms and phd), but have never seen rejects for Columbia EE yet. So does this silence imply a reject?

Update on my applications for all those interested (EE applicant):

Admitted: UIUC MS/PHD (full funding with 20k/year stipend for RA), Stanford MS Only (I applied for MS/PHD... so most likely no aid), UCLA MS/PHD (nominated for fellowship)

Rejected: Princeton, MIT

Waiting: Caltech (not holding my breath)

I am waiting columbia too (ee phd) , u ms or phd?

I've seen some admits from columbia ee (both ms and phd), but have never seen rejects for Columbia EE yet. So does this silence imply a reject?

i applied to the PhD program. (i already have a master's, from columbia, coincidentally.) i'm starting to feel like no news is bad news, too. i was thinking of emailing to find out the status of my application, but the FAQ on the columbia ee website says not to ask . .

and there goes the ides of march . . .

Well, here's my list so far. I'm MS only.

MIT (reject)

Stanford (reject)

Princeton (awaiting aid, M.Eng program)

Columbia (awaiting aid)

Ann-Arbor (waiting)

Carnegie Mellon (waiting)

Cornell (waiting)

UT Austin (waiting)

Harvard (waiting)

Northwestern (waiting)

Anyone here anything from the schools I'm waiting for decisions from?

So, for Northwestern I've heard from a professor there. He contacted me by email to schedule an interview. I've heard that they do interviews there. After that he told me that I was on the second place from the 5 guys that he interviewed. He already sent the offer but there are big chances that the guy on the first place rejects the offer so I should hold on ...

So, for Northwestern I've heard from a professor there. He contacted me by email to schedule an interview. I've heard that they do interviews there. After that he told me that I was on the second place from the 5 guys that he interviewed. He already sent the offer but there are big chances that the guy on the first place rejects the offer so I should hold on ...

thanks. i interviewed with a professor from northwestern over the phone. that was i think a month ago. he said that he/they'd probably decide in the next week or so, but i haven't heard back from him or anyone else at northwestern since then. i kind of take that as a bad sign . . . although i suppose that i could be unofficially wait listed, too.

I am waiting for UIUC (ECE Ph.D). Lots of people got their admissions in this week.

It sounds like there is little chance to get my admission.

Here is my list so far.

MIT (reject)

Berkeley (reject)

Stanford (Master Only)

Ann-Arbor (Ph.D admission)

UCLA (Ph.D admission)

UIUC (waiting)

Caltech(waiting)

just a quick update. i emailed a professor from northwestern and he got back to me, saying they weren't quite done making the decisions, although he thought they would a month ago, and he wants to interview me (and a few others) for a specific spot in his lab. so i guess you can't always assume that no news is bad news. oh, also he said they were cutting down from about 600 applicants to 30. eek!

Update on my applications for all those interested (EE applicant):

Admitted: UCLA MS/PHD (full fellowship + nice stipend), UIUC MS/PHD (full funding with 20k/year stipend for RA), Stanford (MS Only)

Rejected: Princeton, MIT

Waiting: Caltech

I think that I am going to choose UCLA... I am really excited about the professor I get to work with, the campus is beautiful, and California weather is awesome. I'd be interested to hear everyone else's final decisions. Good luck to everyone choosing.

I think that I am going to choose UCLA... I am really excited about the professor I get to work with, the campus is beautiful, and California weather is awesome. I'd be interested to hear everyone else's final decisions. Good luck to everyone choosing.

Accepted: Caltech, CMU

Rejected: MIT

I think I'll choose Caltech (California weather!!!) but in the next days I'll be visiting CMU so they could make me change idea.

so here is my list, (EE applicant)

maryland (waiting financial aid)

washington university in st. louis (TA 24k/year)

boston(waiting)

minnesota(waiting)

ucsd(waiting)

penn. state(waiting)

univ. of florida(waiting)

uc davis(waiting)

rice(waiting)

none rejected yet, but we are getting closer to April 15.. good luck to all of you..

Just to let you know, uc davis sent a lot of decisions out in mid Feb. for ee phd

osi said:
so here is my list, (EE applicant)

maryland (waiting financial aid)

washington university in st. louis (TA 24k/year)

boston(waiting)

minnesota(waiting)

ucsd(waiting)

penn. state(waiting)

univ. of florida(waiting)

uc davis(waiting)

rice(waiting)

none rejected yet, but we are getting closer to April 15.. good luck to all of you..

got rejected from columbia phd. official rejection email came today, found out unofficially last friday or so, when i asked the professor i was hoping to work with. (possibly he made it official after i asked?) also, if it matters, i was rejected because the professor i wanted to work with decided not to take any new students. (i was aware he was unsure about getting funding, so it's not such a shock.)

Did u apply to Davis...the grad coordinator tells me decisions are being done now and will be sent by May...I guess it means I didn' t make it:(

Just to let you know, uc davis sent a lot of decisions out in mid Feb. for ee phd

Yes, I applied to Davis....

Dont worry, they could still be in the process of making out acceptance offers. The contact there is a lady

name Kate Shasky. She should know. Good Luck!!

Did u apply to Davis...the grad coordinator tells me decisions are being done now and will be sent by May...I guess it means I didn' t make it:(

It's March 29 already.... looking back, applying to grad schools have been one of the most cumbersome/burdensome/pain-in-the-neck thing to do...

I wished I had found this site earlier, but... anyway, I just would like to share the schools that I applied to and the results (all for PhD degree):

1. UCSD (still waiting....)

2. Univ. of Maryland - College Park (accepted, no aid... yargh...)

3. Brown University (still waiting)

4. Boston University (accepted, TA offer)

5. Univ. of Connecticut (accepted, RA offer)

6. Univ. of Central Florida - College of Optics (accepted, fellowship)

(My concentration is Photonics by the way). Well, as you can see... I didn't apply to any top 10 schools in EE... I wasn't too confident with my profile. Besides, I applied to four top 10 schools right after I got my B.S. (I have an M.S. in EE now) and got rejections from all of them. So I learned, and I applied to schools that I can confidently get into (well, UCSD is a dream school).

I'm becoming anxious to hear from UCSD and Brown. However, because this is already the end of March, I guess I have to assume for the worst. Or, should I?? Still keeping my hope alive, kind of.

Anybody heard any positive news from UCSD and Brown late at this stage?

Cheers

It's March 29 already.... looking back, applying to grad schools have been one of the most cumbersome/burdensome/pain-in-the-neck thing to do...

I wished I had found this site earlier, but... anyway, I just would like to share the schools that I applied to and the results (all for PhD degree):

1. UCSD (still waiting....)

2. Univ. of Maryland - College Park (accepted, no aid... yargh...)

3. Brown University (still waiting)

4. Boston University (accepted, TA offer)

5. Univ. of Connecticut (accepted, RA offer)

6. Univ. of Central Florida - College of Optics (accepted, fellowship)

(My concentration is Photonics by the way). Well, as you can see... I didn't apply to any top 10 schools in EE... I wasn't too confident with my profile. Besides, I applied to four top 10 schools right after I got my B.S. (I have an M.S. in EE now) and got rejections from all of them. So I learned, and I applied to schools that I can confidently get into (well, UCSD is a dream school).

I'm becoming anxious to hear from UCSD and Brown. However, because this is already the end of March, I guess I have to assume for the worst. Or, should I?? Still keeping my hope alive, kind of.

Anybody heard any positive news from UCSD and Brown late at this stage?

Cheers

When did you hear from boston university? I am anxiously waiting to hear from them for the past few weeks. I had attended their open house. By the way did you get an invite for their open house - if so did you attend. Just curious to know my position. Also are you an international student or in US? Thanks

When did you hear from boston university? I am anxiously waiting to hear from them for the past few weeks. I had attended their open house. By the way did you get an invite for their open house - if so did you attend. Just curious to know my position. Also are you an international student or in US? Thanks

I heard from BU about 3 weeks ago (March 6, I believe). Yes, I actually did get their invitation to the open house, but I didn't attend (I had work). I'm an international student, but got my B.S. and M.S. in an American university.