Gender Studies- fall 2016

1 hour ago, hellatrangsty said:

i haven't heard either

but without revealing names, i am an MA in gender studies at queen's university right now and a prof here i'm friends with knows a junior faculty member at UCSC who told her that official offers were coming early this week. since it's wednesday i'm betting i can expect a rejection.

i was kind of hoping i'd be the next sandy stone or eva hayward since the HistCon program there (which kind of birthed feminist studies) has had about one trans woman doctoral candidate a decade. I thought it was my time! and my project's cool. but we'll see.

fingers crossed for everyone

oh and since i hadn't posted before i got rejected at Rutgers and UW. and if UCSC rejects me too then it's a resounding NO from all gender/feminist/women's studies programs despite BA with honors thesis and current MA all in gender studies. oh well. I'm wait listed at USC for american studies and ethnicity, so i hope that comes through. they may be reading my work as not really about gender...

hey! thanks for responding! sent you a PM! :)

Regarding UCSC, I was able to get a subtle idea of my position on their list of applicants. I told them I was beginning to visit schools where I was accepted and was hopeful they might share their decision to make my decision easier (because, my god, why is it taking so long??). They were very clear that NO decisions were finalized, but did let me know I was not in their pool of top contenders, but then reiterated that I wasn't being denied or accepted and that no final selections have been made. So, I'm not sure if contacting them was even very helpful. Just thought I'd share the news. 

21 minutes ago, gradkid said:

Regarding UCSC, I was able to get a subtle idea of my position on their list of applicants. I told them I was beginning to visit schools where I was accepted and was hopeful they might share their decision to make my decision easier (because, my god, why is it taking so long??). They were very clear that NO decisions were finalized, but did let me know I was not in their pool of top contenders, but then reiterated that I wasn't being denied or accepted and that no final selections have been made. So, I'm not sure if contacting them was even very helpful. Just thought I'd share the news. 

wow thanks for contacting them and letting us all know! I'm in the same position, visiting other programs, and would like to make a decision!! I have no idea what is taking them so long. If you don't mind sharing, what exactly did they say that indicated you are not in their "top pool"? this just all seems super ambiguous and frustrating! feel free to send me a PM! thanks again :)

4 hours ago, gradkid said:

yeah thank you for this update. I'm not sure why it's taking so long either. When did you speak with them?

this whole situation is a little...yikes. ya know?

@hellatrangsty @kitzi94

I emailed them about a week ago and they responded last Friday. The DGS has been my point of contact and she wrote that because of my situation they would let me know that I was not in their first tier, but that nothing had been decided. That's as specific as she was. I assume it means I'm not being offered admission and that her ambiguity is because they hoped to prevent me from (mis)informing others via a site like, I dunno, gradcafe. 

I plan to attend my top choice program, but really hoped to hear back from UCSC to compare funding (if there was any). It feels foolish to accept from my anticipated program without hearing back from all programs (even just for peace of mind) but I'm ready to start considering housing and a move! Anyway, hope that sort of helps. 

On 3/3/2016 at 9:54 PM, gradkid said:

@hellatrangsty @kitzi94

I emailed them about a week ago and they responded last Friday. The DGS has been my point of contact and she wrote that because of my situation they would let me know that I was not in their first tier, but that nothing had been decided. That's as specific as she was. I assume it means I'm not being offered admission and that her ambiguity is because they hoped to prevent me from (mis)informing others via a site like, I dunno, gradcafe. 

I plan to attend my top choice program, but really hoped to hear back from UCSC to compare funding (if there was any). It feels foolish to accept from my anticipated program without hearing back from all programs (even just for peace of mind) but I'm ready to start considering housing and a move! Anyway, hope that sort of helps. 

thanks for this info.

again like i mentioned i was told it'd be early this week. but i also was pretty sure that ucsc was one of few schools that sends all decisions at the same time? like both rejections and admissions? so maybe they're either backed up, or it's a rejection if we haven't heard :(

my last prospect for a full-fledged acceptance is NYU performance studies (notorious for denying PhD applications that don't come from within the MA) so we'll see.....

guess i gotta start begging my way off the wait list and into the admits for USC

16 minutes ago, hellatrangsty said:

thanks for this info.

again like i mentioned i was told it'd be early this week. but i also was pretty sure that ucsc was one of few schools that sends all decisions at the same time? like both rejections and admissions? so maybe they're either backed up, or it's a rejection if we haven't heard :(

my last prospect for a full-fledged acceptance is NYU performance studies (notorious for denying PhD applications that don't come from within the MA) so we'll see.....

guess i gotta start begging my way off the wait list and into the admits for USC

I'm slightly turned off that it's taking so long, but I'm not sure that's a fair reaction. But yeah, no strong indications of what's going on via the results page. 

Anyway, good luck with all your programs!! :) You never know until you know, right? 

I only applied to UW and UCSC due to time constraints. I was going initially to take a year off to figure out my life but my adviser decided I needed to send apps out two weeks before most deadlines. Great fun. 

I'm at UW now finishing out a MA in a different program and I was readily rejected... now just waiting on UCSC, which I feel like would be a great fit. I keep telling myself there's no way I'm getting in so I don't get my hopes up but it's so hard not to! I need a break from checking Gmail every 5 seconds!

On March 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM, gradkid said:

I'm slightly turned off that it's taking so long, but I'm not sure that's a fair reaction. But yeah, no strong indications of what's going on via the results page. 

Anyway, good luck with all your programs!! :) You never know until you know, right? 

Hey thanks y'all for posting news. I was at another program's admit day and another recruited student told me that apparently UCSC FEMST already had their admit day this week. Idk why they are telling us that no decisions have been made. I have a feeling it's bc they don't know who will accept the offers of admission. Anyways good luck to everyone with this frustrating process !!

Hi fellow gender studies folks! I was just interviewed for my application to the PhD Comparative Gender Studies program of Central European University. I think I was able to give a few good answers, although I honestly think I could have done better (but then again we can always do better). I only have two applications; the other one is the PhD program at the University of Paris 8.

Did anyone else apply for admission to CEU? Or is anyone applying to Paris 8? I'm just so nervous and it would be so nice to hear from others in the same boat!

Hi all,

Have been following this thread for a little while now and appreciate reading about who's heard from where.

Has anyone else here applied to IU, Bloomington's gender studies program? And if so, any word back yet? Any leads are appreciated.

Hi all,

I applied to the Feminist Studies Dept. at the University of Minnesota. It was a long long wait after the application, indeed. My status has just turned into a "Decision Made". I take it as a rejection as noone has contacted me about anything until now. (I don't know if they usually get in touch with the acceptees before the official decisions, though.) Anyone here in the same boat? And, if any, congrats to all admits! It's a great program!

~*still no words from Santa Cruz*~ which is really awesome!

I think they're trying to get yes's out of the folks they already made offers to before they even notify everyone else because they're shady and were so behind they couldn't even do wait list notifications...

or maybe they're just disorganized

anyways, it's def a turn off like other folks have said

2 hours ago, gradkid said:

Yeah, @hellatrangsty, I don't see their communication and effort to respond as a good indication for incoming students. In fact, I went ahead and accepted another offer. It's too bad. Seemed like an interesting program.

damn. i mean that's kind of what happens though....i'd be afraid of it too but i still want all my answers before i make decisions even though i'm pretty sure it's a no from them

where'd you accept? congrats on making a decision!

Your decision to wait it out is completely reasonable and fair, @hellatrangsty. I think if UCSC had been a stronger fit for me I'd have done the same. 

I went with UNC's AMST program because of my research methodology (oral history) and interest in the American South. Obviously, UNC is far better equipped to grapple with issues facing the South and they have a really exciting, nationally known oral history center. I also felt like I'd be able to test the tools of feminist theory through the schools Women's Studies program as the two departments have overlap. A lot the AMST faculty have strong backgrounds in feminist theory, too. 

And you never know with acceptances until you do. Good luck to you. If UCSC is your dream program I hope things turn out in your favor!

2 hours ago, gradkid said:

Your decision to wait it out is completely reasonable and fair, @hellatrangsty. I think if UCSC had been a stronger fit for me I'd have done the same. 

I went with UNC's AMST program because of my research methodology (oral history) and interest in the American South. Obviously, UNC is far better equipped to grapple with issues facing the South and they have a really exciting, nationally known oral history center. I also felt like I'd be able to test the tools of feminist theory through the schools Women's Studies program as the two departments have overlap. A lot the AMST faculty have strong backgrounds in feminist theory, too. 

And you never know with acceptances until you do. Good luck to you. If UCSC is your dream program I hope things turn out in your favor!

oh that's cool! if you are new to chapel hill/the triangle area in NC then feel free to PM. I was born and raised in NC and spent lots of time in Carrboro/Chapel Hill and still know lots of ppl there. Congrats on a solid choice :)

15 hours ago, gradkid said:

Oh chill, @hellatrangsty! I was born and raised in Asheville, NC, actually. But I love Carrboro! The NC tie was another huge selling point for me. My first time near home in the last 7 years. :)

snap! small world. jealous you get to go home(ish?) for a degree you're stoked on. i'll be pretty far away no matter where i end up.

2 hours ago, mtee said:

Was wondering if anyone has heard back from UBC (Canada) yet? :) I got into Queen's and UofT but I need to know !!!

hi! i'm currently finishing my MA at queen's! feel free to pm me if you have any questions

and it depends on the program you're talking about at UBC...I have a friend who was accepted a while back to their PhD but it may be that their MA has a different timeline

• 2 weeks later...

UCSB just rejected my application at the beginning of this month. it was really apparent since I flunked my GRE test. On the bright side, Utrecht University just sent a conditional admission. I have not sent any other applications to other universities (I am still revising my personal statement for UCL but not yet for ISS and SOAS) but I seriously don't know which of the programs is "the one" for me. None of the programs really stand out to my liking. I understand that there aren't many applicants to European universities in this thread but maybe a help? Like, what do you think "stands out" from each of the programs. So far all of my personal statements are about SRHR and I'm from a third world country (so to speak) so my aim is more towards development and stuff although I'm also really interested in intersectionality, representation, and queer studies (I wrote queer theory as my undergraduate thesis, hence, the username lol)

Programs: Gender Studies Utrecht Universities (uu.nl/masters/en/gender-studies), Education, Gender and International Development UCL (ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught/degrees/education-gender-international-development-ma), Gender and Sexuality SOAS (http://www.soas.ac.uk/genderstudies/ma-gender-and-sexuality/), Human Rights, Gender, and Conflict Studies ISS (www.iss.nl/education/ma_programme/human_rights_gender_and_conflict_studies_social_justice_perspectives_sjp/)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 8:05 PM, gendertrouble said:

On the bright side, Utrecht University just sent a conditional admission.

Congrats! I'm finishing my RMA at Utrecht as an international student and would be happy to discuss the pros/cons of the program with you if you'd like. :-) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 2:17 PM, lgraceless said:

Congrats! I'm finishing my RMA at Utrecht as an international student and would be happy to discuss the pros/cons of the program with you if you'd like. :-) 

Thanks! I'm sorry I'm not familiar with RMA, what is it? I would love to discuss! I really want to ask about the program to be better informed in making decision since, you know, time is ticking lol. Is there any way we can talk in private? I'd really like that. And I'm sorry for the delayed reply, I have not been checking back on this site since not many replied to me unfortunately :(