Gender Studies- fall 2016

@queeraf I'm glad to see someone that has similar interests on this forum too! When I was selecting schools, I was pretty focused on finding which places would be supportive of queer Chicanx work! I guess that's why I applied to so many different programs, but my research interests stayed the same in my application.

I'm rooting for you!

Has anyone heard from The University of Maryland yet? They were one of my first applications due and I haven't heard anything but silence from them. Also, I am loving all the good vibes on this board! 

Hi everyone!

I just heard back from University of Louisville- I was accepted into the MA program! Does anyone know how to find out what's going on with funding? I've haven't received any information about how to check that.

18 minutes ago, ancientqueen said:

Hi everyone!

I just heard back from University of Louisville- I was accepted into the MA program! Does anyone know how to find out what's going on with funding? I've haven't received any information about how to check that.

I don't know a lot about gender studies programs, but I'd just ask. :) 

People are usually far more receptive to requests from accepted students, I've found. Once you've been accepted, they are, in theory, competing against other schools for your attendance.

29 minutes ago, Neist said:

I don't know a lot about gender studies programs, but I'd just ask. :) 

People are usually far more receptive to requests from accepted students, I've found. Once you've been accepted, they are, in theory, competing against other schools for your attendance.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be calling the department. 

For anyone waiting on Minnesota, I e-mailed their graduate director and found out I'm sorta wait-listed? I was told the chances of a spot opening are unlikely, so I'm taking it as a rejection. I am now left to wait on UW, and decide between Oregon State and University of Arizona (both women studies programs).

I've been accepted into Texas Woman's University. They want me to confirm attendance by no later March 3rd if I am attending. EEP! They say it is because they have a long waitlist, but I am in no way ready to make a decision about anywhere yet. I haven't heard back from all my schools yet. 

On 2/17/2016 at 1:26 PM, queeraf said:

For anyone waiting on Minnesota, I e-mailed their graduate director and found out I'm sorta wait-listed? I was told the chances of a spot opening are unlikely, so I'm taking it as a rejection. I am now left to wait on UW, and decide between Oregon State and University of Arizona (both women studies programs).

I'm deciding between Univ. of Arizona  (G&W) and UC San Diego (Communications), both Ph.D.s 

I can't imagine turning down Univ. of Ariz, that program is stacked with so many faculty whose work I was really interested in during undergrad but gathering as much information as possible without trying to lean heavily in one direction or the other until I look further into UCSD

For anyone waiting to hear back from UCSB, I just called the department to check on my application. They said that they are in the process of doing campus interviews now and that all wait list notifications have been sent out. (Check your spam!) The rest of the applicants will hear back in March. 

12 hours ago, queeraf said:

@ahaidaris congrats on both programs! Arizona will more than likely be the offer I take. Like you said, they have amazing faculty and the Southwest Research Institute at UA looks pretty cool. Will you be going to recruitment weekend? 

thx! congrats to you as well. I will be at the recruitment weekend! Yourself? I got my funding offer from UA which is basically an unfinalized offer. First year covered in full and years 2-4 should be through TAships with the hope (as stated by UA to replace some TAships with fellowships). I will definitely be doing some more emailing to get a better idea of the financial picture before I make any decisions.

Hi all, I'm still waiting to hear any news from UCSB and also Utrecht. Apparently although the uni said that it takes about 1 month until applicants get their decision, I just got an email from Utrecht last night saying that my application is still on process and it's almost been 1 month so idk whether I will hear when any moment now or about one month from now. 

@lazaria did you call for all of the applications (by all I mean both Masters and Ph.D)? Do you think I should email them (and if so, do I email the graduate director or do you suggest other contact person)? 

@kitzi94 congrats for the offer! Did you apply for master's or Ph.D?

7 hours ago, gendertrouble said:

@lazaria did you call for all of the applications (by all I mean both Masters and Ph.D)? Do you think I should email them (and if so, do I email the graduate director or do you suggest other contact person)?

Hi, I did not specify which - MA or PhD. I just generally inquired about my application, and they did not ask me for specifics. They, meaning, the department's secretary. She put me on hold briefly and then came back to report that all of the acceptances and wait list notifications have been sent out. The rest can assume a rejection and we will be hearing in March. Now, if you want to inquire about specifics, I would contact Dr. Miller-Young. She has been responsive via email with me and quite lovely. Good luck!

12 hours ago, gendertrouble said:

Hi all, I'm still waiting to hear any news from UCSB and also Utrecht. Apparently although the uni said that it takes about 1 month until applicants get their decision, I just got an email from Utrecht last night saying that my application is still on process and it's almost been 1 month so idk whether I will hear when any moment now or about one month from now. 

@kitzi94 congrats for the offer! Did you apply for master's or Ph.D?

Hi, yes, I applied for the PhD, and know that they've notified all PhD acceptances, but I'm not sure about MA

On 2/28/2016 at 11:25 AM, kitzi94 said:

no word yet on ucsc? i've only seen one accept back from january, but when i contacted them two weeks ago, they said they were still reading apps...

i haven't heard either

but without revealing names, i am an MA in gender studies at queen's university right now and a prof here i'm friends with knows a junior faculty member at UCSC who told her that official offers were coming early this week. since it's wednesday i'm betting i can expect a rejection.

i was kind of hoping i'd be the next sandy stone or eva hayward since the HistCon program there (which kind of birthed feminist studies) has had about one trans woman doctoral candidate a decade. I thought it was my time! and my project's cool. but we'll see.

fingers crossed for everyone

oh and since i hadn't posted before i got rejected at Rutgers and UW. and if UCSC rejects me too then it's a resounding NO from all gender/feminist/women's studies programs despite BA with honors thesis and current MA all in gender studies. oh well. I'm wait listed at USC for american studies and ethnicity, so i hope that comes through. they may be reading my work as not really about gender...

Hi everyone! I hope the waiting process is somewhat tolerable for you all. I'm crossing my fingers for those of you still waiting! 

Would anyone happen to know anything about when UW-Madison sends out notifications for MA applicants? I'm very anxious to hear back.