Gender Studies- fall 2016

Anyone applying to schools in Canada for gender studies? I want to apply for PhD but the sense I am getting is that schools like UBC, York, SFU require prior studies in gender/ women's studies/ feminist theory. I have a masters in Social work and experience of working with women and children. Am I eligible for a phd in gender?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied to two gender departments in the States. I've received an email about a week ago from Emory notifying me that I've made the first cut. I am not really sure what that was about since it didn't say much about anything, but it was super surprising considering it was just a week after their submission deadline.

I am curious about other people applying to gender departments tho'...seems like we are either very few or just extremely reticent :D

Congrats DemonX!  That seems like a REALLY quick turn around.  When did you submit your application?  I don't think they have rolling admissions...so they must have already done some preliminary review of ~80 applications?! Well, at least they're not dragging their feet!

I applied to two gender studies programs in the states, and one in Canada. 

I'm hoping the lack of response on this forum is a sign of there being so few applicants this year. Wishful thinking? :-)

I think I submitted it mid November, but they sure seem to be fast. The reason, I suppose, is that their recruiting weekend takes place between Feb 4th-7th and the email was like a heads-up for the applicants. I guess Emory's RW invitations will be sent out pretty soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2016 at 8:59 PM, HeidiBobine said:

If past years are any indication, you should be hearing from Emory this week RE your invitation to recruitment weekend! That's exciting. 

in this case it ain't looking good for me :P shame

There aren't any posts on the admissions results page about RW invites to Emory yet, so there may still be hope! 

I applied as well but I don't have high hopes about it. It was probably the weakest match with my research interests. No rejection yet, but i'm expecting it. I'm holding out for York University in Toronto. It seems like a really good match for me. But they usually only accept 1 international student a year, so I might have had better odds at winning the 1.6 billion powerball! 

Edited by HeidiBobine

Oh, York has a fantastic programme. I would have applied but I simply ran pout of funds. All the best Heidi, if you are a good fit, anything is possible.

And to the poster above I am also a Rutgers applicant

Applying for Feminist Studies MA UCSB, Gender Studies in Utrecht University NL, ISS The Hague NL, SOAS University of London UK, UCL UK. I did terrible on GRE but I really want to get in to UCSB since I find the program suits my personality better than other programs I'm applying to

Edited by gendertrouble
missing degree info

23 hours ago, gendertrouble said:

Applying for Feminist Studies MA UCSB, Gender Studies in Utrecht University NL, ISS The Hague NL, SOAS University of London UK, UCL UK. I did terrible on GRE but I really want to get in to UCSB since I find the program suits my personality better than other programs I'm applying to

yeah the UCSB program looks great--I didn't realize they had an MA program. I know someone in the Utrecht program now. good luck!

37 minutes ago, kitzi94 said:

@genderboi thanks for the update and congrats on getting an interview! I haven't heard back from Rutgers yet, so I'm waiting for a rejection. At least Rutgers seems to be pretty quick about getting notifications out based on past years. Wishing you luck in the rest of the process!

@kitzi94 thanks, wising you best of luck with the crapshoot that is this (awful) process! 

Got a rejection email on Friday from UW's department. They cited a lack of research fit as the reason (which surprised me because I was positive that program would be a perfect fit for my interests). Oh, well. At least it was a nice email. And with the odds being only 2 acceptances out of 75 applicants... yeah... can't be too upset. 

The only other Gender Studies program I applied to was UCLA. Anyone heard from them yet?

19 hours ago, sunny_daze said:

Got a rejection email on Friday from UW's department. They cited a lack of research fit as the reason (which surprised me because I was positive that program would be a perfect fit for my interests). Oh, well. At least it was a nice email. And with the odds being only 2 acceptances out of 75 applicants... yeah... can't be too upset. 

The only other Gender Studies program I applied to was UCLA. Anyone heard from them yet?

UW as in University of Washington? Or Wisconsin? I also applied to UCLA but I'm not feeling optimistic, I didn't realize how competitive the UC schools were.

2 hours ago, everythingisfine said:

UW as in University of Washington? Or Wisconsin? I also applied to UCLA but I'm not feeling optimistic, I didn't realize how competitive the UC schools were.

Oh I meant Washington. I'm nervous about UCLA, they're now my top choice since being rejected from UW. 

Edited by sunny_daze