USU course registration

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions as I begin the process of taking pre-req courses. I'm going to be taking two this spring, as a non-degree seeking student at USU. My questions are as follows:

1) I know registration starts Nov. 20th. From experience, is it best to register RIGHT away or do I have some leeway? Also, are there sections with different professors like most college courses? 

2) Does anyone know if you can take USU courses if you haven't done all their pre-reqs? Specifically, it seems like NONE of my schools I'll be applying to require COMD 3400, but they do require ones (like COMD 3700) where COMD 3400 is a pre-req. Any way to get around this?

Thanks a bunch, everyone! :)

Kate

I don't know anything about USU specifically but in looking at the course catalog I would categorize COMD3400 as required knowledge for this major. It looks to be the equivalent of physical bases of hearing, or part anatomy of hearing and part hearing science. 

Even if this actually isn't a required course for the programs you're applying too, there's likely no way around it. Since its a prereq the following course will be building off it. Neither of those courses are particularly easy at most schools so I'd just take it. :)

There's some leeway, but I always registered right away. I don't think there's usually a problem with classes filling up, but why take the risk?

Many people have petitioned to take 3700 without taking 3400 first. Talk to your advisor if you want to do that. I did take 3400, but I'm sure it'd be possible if you're willing to do a little anatomy reading if something isn't clear to you.

Most classes are only taught by one professor or team taught, so different sections don't matter much. (exceptions: 5900 and ASL if you decide to take that) You will need to make sure that you have the proper type of online class (in-state or out-of-state). 

1 hour ago, slporbust2016 said:

There's some leeway, but I always registered right away. I don't think there's usually a problem with classes filling up, but why take the risk?

Many people have petitioned to take 3700 without taking 3400 first. Talk to your advisor if you want to do that. I did take 3400, but I'm sure it'd be possible if you're willing to do a little anatomy reading if something isn't clear to you.

Most classes are only taught by one professor or team taught, so different sections don't matter much. (exceptions: 5900 and ASL if you decide to take that) You will need to make sure that you have the proper type of online class (in-state or out-of-state). 

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll just take 3400 to cover so my bases...

What do you mean by in state or out of state though? Do the online classes made that distinction? I thought all the USU speech classes online were given in state tuition.

There are different sections for in-state and out-of-state online classes, but out-of-state is charged a credit hour rate that's similar to in-state. (About $300 per credit hour right now.)  I'm not sure why it's set up that way, but I signed up for the wrong ones one semester, so my bill was all kinds of crazy until I got it sorted out. 

USU splits the required A&P of Speech & Hearing course over 3100 (A&P of speech) and 3400 (A&P of hearing) so you will need to take both in order to satisfy grad school pre-reqs. At least that is what I was told by the head of one of my target schools. It's kind of annoying that USU does it that way, but better to know ahead of time that grad schools will expect you to have both on your transcript.

1 hour ago, slporbust2016 said:

There are different sections for in-state and out-of-state online classes, but out-of-state is charged a credit hour rate that's similar to in-state. (About $300 per credit hour right now.)  I'm not sure why it's set up that way, but I signed up for the wrong ones one semester, so my bill was all kinds of crazy until I got it sorted out. 

Really? Then, living in NJ, I imagine I have to register out of state. What difference does it make if the classes are online though...? And there's a ramification if you register in state when you live out of state? How odd!

And Crimson, thank you for that info. That is indeed annoying, but it makes more sense now anyhow.

Interesting to hear about 3100 and 3400. That does make sense, though. 

I think the difference is that in-state people can take more than 12 credit hours certain times of the year for the 12 hour price. In any case, it does matter, and you will need to register for the out-of-state online sections. They have like a 20 page pdf somewhere explaining their tuition and fees schedules, but all online COMD classes for out-of-state people are charged by the credit hour.

5 minutes ago, slporbust2016 said:

Interesting to hear about 3100 and 3400. That does make sense, though. 

I think the difference is that in-state people can take more than 12 credit hours certain times of the year for the 12 hour price. In any case, it does matter, and you will need to register for the out-of-state online sections. They have like a 20 page pdf somewhere explaining their tuition and fees schedules, but all online COMD classes for out-of-state people are charged by the credit hour.

Darn. I remember someone saying it was 800 something. According to the PDF, online undergrad courses are currently $299 per credit, so it'll be $900 each...

2 hours ago, slporbust2016 said:

Still cheaper than taking things on a grad school fee scale. That's the one bright side. :) Plus, I've really enjoyed most of my classes at USU. 

Too true. Speaking of, how much work would you say you did/do per week in the prereq courses? I work full time so plan on two per semester (spring, summer, fall, then applying next fall) and I'm anxious about how much work it might be..

4 hours ago, Kate22192 said:

Too true. Speaking of, how much work would you say you did/do per week in the prereq courses? I work full time so plan on two per semester (spring, summer, fall, then applying next fall) and I'm anxious about how much work it might be..

The workload depends a lot on the class and how long it takes you to memorize things. Many people work and do it, though, so I think you will be fine. I don't work, but I have a house full of young kids and a lot of other commitments, and I've been able to go full-time fairly easily. 

Edited by slporbust2016
formatting

2 hours ago, slporbust2016 said:

The workload depends a lot on the class and how long it takes you to memorize things. Many people work and do it, though, so I think you will be fine. I don't work, but I have a house full of young kids and a lot of other commitments, and I've been able to go full-time fairly easily. 

That sounds doable! Okay, great.

One other question, if you don't mind. This site: http://comd.usu.edu/htm/online-programs/non-degree-seeking/admissions-non-degree  indicates that the application process is quick and easy. I'm finding I'm being made to fill out a lengthy application. Is this correct? Plus. this application has me select an "Academic program." COMD 1st bachelors and COMD 2nd bachelors are listed, but not non-degree seeking. I just put second bachelors...

Hi Kate, you're filling out the wrong application. Follow the steps on that page exactly, including selecting which application to fill out. It's easy to blow by the non-degree seeking option, which is what I did the first time around. :) 

4 minutes ago, esopha said:

Hi Kate, you're filling out the wrong application. Follow the steps on that page exactly, including selecting which application to fill out. It's easy to blow by the non-degree seeking option, which is what I did the first time around. :) 

Ah! I'm confused. I did select non-degree seeking, but the app is still having me now select either COMD 1st bachelors or 2nd....so confused! :(

I think the best thing to do might be to contact the advisor for non-degree seeking students and let her know you're having issues. I don't remember what my registration page looked like, unfortunately, but it was very bare bones.

Some classes you won't be able to register for unless you're in the 2nd BA program. I forget exactly ones which have the restriction but I started in non-degree status and wasn't able to register for my 2nd term courses until the department formally admitted me to the 2nd BA.