Can I just say how much I'm enjoying grad school?

radiomars

I've felt that in general, the sentiment among graduate students is one of stress and negativity. While obviously our career track is not an easy one, I just wanted to share the fact that I am really, really enjoying graduate school. This isn't to diminish anyone's frustration or pain or anything, but merely to add another perspective, especially for those who are still unsure of applying. I did lots of research beforehand to make sure I wanted to go down this path and carefully considered my options, and I think that led me to making a great decision. I get along extremely well with my advisor, genuinely love my program and my school, and am having a great time (and I'm now halfway through my third year, so this isn't still that first-year optimism). Grad school has felt like an academic playground where I get to test really interesting questions and work with really smart people. Like seriously, I love my job. 

Edited by radiomars

Yay! I am also enjoying grad school very much (4th year now) and I think I have had a great experience so far. My advisor and I have a great working relationship and I feel that the faculty in my department, in general, treat all of the students like colleagues and we have mutual respect for each other. I've been to places where the environment is very different and I know that even at my own school, other programs have very different situations. I work with our graduate student government to identify these problem issues so I see and hear about a lot of instances on campus that aren't great. 

I am always honest about how I feel about grad school to new students (either here or when they visit my program). I tell them the good and the bad. And even though I do love my program and I think it's generally great, that doesn't mean there aren't problems with it either. But like any other career path, there are drawbacks and issues. All it really matters is whether these drawbacks are worth it to each potential graduate student. 

The most common and usual drawback about grad school is that we, as graduate students, are essentially paying a cost in order to have a better life later. An investment if you will. For each person, the costs are a little different. For some, grad school pays a lot less than other careers they could be pursuing (and come with less benefits). For others, the cost is being away from family or other important people in their lives. Or, it means delaying other life goals such as relationships, family, buying a home, etc. 

Ultimately, if grad students could know exactly what the cost are and exactly what the rewards are, then the "costs" of grad school would be a lot more bearable, or at least it would be a lot easier to say "Yes, I made the right decision, this is worth it!". But life is not that way. Other career paths are also not this way, but I feel like for the type of person that would want to go to grad school, grad school is actually the "high risk, high reward" path. There's so much uncertainty in our academic futures, but the friends I speak to who are interested in academic careers make it clear that this is their absolute dream job. But the reality is that very few of us will end up on these career paths. And maybe your program is better, but in a lot of grad programs, there isn't really much training or preparation for the other 85% or so that won't end up on the tenure track. So, I can understand why some people are less happy with their programs, because if your perception of the rewards do not make the current risks/costs worth it, then I can't see myself being happy either.

In addition, I think it's important to remember that even though we might enjoy our programs and think that for us, the costs are worth the rewards, this does not mean that everything is "okay". I am really happy with my program but I still push back against the administration and fight for better conditions for students here. As I said above, for some people, the costs of grad school is easier to handle for others. But, I don't want this to be a barrier/gatekeeper to academia. I don't want academia to be a place where only people willing to sacrifice income or people who are willing to move across the country are able to participate in. I want a diversity of ideas with a diversity of backgrounds and experiences. So I work for things like better parental leave policies, for better stipends (most schools pay enough to support yourself, but not dependents), and for better health benefits (sometimes schools have very basic plans that only really work for healthy people but run high costs for those with chronic problems). 

For me, I'm only going to be in grad school as long as I love it and feel that it's worth it for me. So despite all of the things I say and do (here or in real life) that sound negative towards grad school and academia, ultimately I still think it's more good than bad. But even if I think it's good, that does not mean I should not try to make it even better. 

I totally agree with you radiomars! Glad to hear you're loving life as a grad student. 

I'm loving grad school, my home friends all tell me that I'm in my element and I feel it. I'm obviously stressed, and there is a high workload, but it's manageable and I still manage to train and compete in my sport. I do think a lot of the moaning/complaining is down to maturity levels and life experience. Despite my younger age (I'm 23) I've lived a lot, experienced a lot, worked in the "real" world and know academia is the right place for me. With that knowledge, I'm thriving. I find most of my stress comes from my peers stressing, and confiding in me. 

I think what you said about doing your research is vital. You gotta know that you're going to thrive wherever you end up. 

So loving grad school in my first year might just be first year optimism? :( I have a feeling the lovin might be here to stay for me, though! I am really happy with how it's going and I think it's for a similar reason as piglet. I'm also 23, but, I've had plenty of worse situations in life. I'm finally doing something I enjoy, I'm getting paid to go to school, I live in a really cool town with great roommates... My program is seriously amazing, and I really click with my advisor. I even have free time to enjoy my hobbies and maintain a semi-long distance relationship. I'm not that stressed, but I am productive. TAing isn't fun for me, but that's the only thing!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pleasantly surprised to find that for me grad school is not that stressful at all. I was a bit high strung in undergrad, but during my first year of grad school I started just rolling with things and carrying on without worrying about them. And everything worked out fine. Now I fix issues as they arise and don't put myself down with the "should'ves" and "what-ifs." Most of the time I think I've a got a sweet deal going on here. Given the nature of my research, I work long hours in the summer but have a fair amount of free time during fall/spring. I don't feel guilty about not working 24/7 because I know I don't need to in order to still be successful.  It also helps that I don't have to teach since I've never been interested in a teaching position. I jumped in as a TA for one semester when the department had unfilled positions, but given the choice I wouldn't do it again (at least not for that class). 

The only thing that gets me down sometimes is being in a long-distance relationship. We manage, but after being apart for over three years now I'm getting itchy to finish up and move back to our home state. 

1 hour ago, Pitangus said:

I've been pleasantly surprised to find that for me grad school is not that stressful at all. I was a bit high strung in undergrad, but during my first year of grad school I started just rolling with things and carrying on without worrying about them. And everything worked out fine. Now I fix issues as they arise and don't put myself down with the "should'ves" and "what-ifs." Most of the time I think I've a got a sweet deal going on here. Given the nature of my research, I work long hours in the summer but have a fair amount of free time during fall/spring. I don't feel guilty about not working 24/7 because I know I don't need to in order to still be successful.  It also helps that I don't have to teach since I've never been interested in a teaching position. I jumped in as a TA for one semester when the department had unfilled positions, but given the choice I wouldn't do it again (at least not for that class). 

The only thing that gets me down sometimes is being in a long-distance relationship. We manage, but after being apart for over three years now I'm getting itchy to finish up and move back to our home state. 

I like your attitude! I feel the same way and I hope it leads to success.

I just started the semi-long distance thing. I'm hoping my SO moves down here for at least the last half of my program. And hopefully there are job opportunities back home, I would like that, too...