Personal History Statement for Berkeley

This document is killing me. I've sat down to write it three times now and given up each time, deleting the few shallow sentences I'd managed. Being interested in the ancient world, I can't help but feel that I've missed my chance to have a personal relationship with the subject matter by two or so millennia. The best I can come up with is the shift in my interests from writing fiction to history, but the turning point there gets way too personal for something like this, leaving me with a choice between vaulting into TMI territory and appearing totally banal. 

Is this supposed to be super personal? All of the challenges I have faced in life are not things I would want to divulge to future colleagues. However, everything else I write sounds trite. Does this even matter? Will it hurt my chances if it isn't spectacular? It is getting to be crunch time and I am just having a hard time really wrapping my head around what they want from me. 

On 11/23/2015, 8:54:40, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

I wrote some shit about being privileged and having diverse friends or something. I can't help but feel no one gives a shit about that essay as long as it's not badly written

Berkeley stresses the personal history statement as the second most influential item in their decision making. I don't think that "no one gives a shit about" it.

On 12/4/2015, 12:44:26, IoSpero said:

Is this supposed to be super personal? All of the challenges I have faced in life are not things I would want to divulge to future colleagues. However, everything else I write sounds trite. Does this even matter? Will it hurt my chances if it isn't spectacular? It is getting to be crunch time and I am just having a hard time really wrapping my head around what they want from me. 

My Berkeley personal history statement is very personal, although I have received conflicting advice on it.  My advisor and the director of my school's scholarship office both loved it, while a current grad student told me I am divulging too much information. However, my story is intimately tied to my anthropological goals and motivations. If that's a deal breaker for Berkeley, then that's a deal breaker for me, too. I submitted it and have no regrets. 

2 hours ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Source? I know it's important for background-specific scholarships but I've never seen heard this.

For anthropology, at least, it is the second most important item. 

From the anthropology department website:

In judging applications, the Department is interested (in order of importance) in:

• Statement of purpose.
  • Statement of personal history.
  • Letters of recommendation.
  • Grade point average.
  • GRE or TOEFL scores.

http://anthropology.berkeley.edu/graduate/application-graduate-program

Next time I will be a bit more specific.

1 hour ago, busybee said:

For anthropology, at least, it is the second most important item. 

From the anthropology department website:

In judging applications, the Department is interested (in order of importance) in:

• Statement of purpose.
  • Statement of personal history.
  • Letters of recommendation.
  • Grade point average.
  • GRE or TOEFL scores.

http://anthropology.berkeley.edu/graduate/application-graduate-program

Next time I will be a bit more specific.

Oh, then yeah it's department specific. It's probably one of the least important things for my program.

27 minutes ago, StrongTackleBacarySagna said:

Oh, then yeah it's department specific. It's probably one of the least important things for my program.

@StrongTackleBacarySagna Probably, but I kinda hope the personal history statement is important for Neuro! I mean by god I put in the time and effort to craft a compelling statement, and since Berkeley was the only school which needed it I hope it's taken somewhat seriously.

1 hour ago, Gvh said:

@StrongTackleBacarySagna Probably, but I kinda hope the personal history statement is important for Neuro! I mean by god I put in the time and effort to craft a compelling statement, and since Berkeley was the only school which needed it I hope it's taken somewhat seriously.

I'm sure it helps if you have something really good to say. But all in all I don't think it's a dealbreaker for anyone unless it leaves a bad impression

Note: For things like the UC school's personal history statement, remember that "Maximum X words" does not mean you must write X words, or even anywhere close to it. Take as many (or as few) words as you need to explain the relevant aspects. I had a few things to write about but I don't think mine was more than 400 words.

On 12/5/2015, 3:08:13, busybee said:

Berkeley stresses the personal history statement as the second most influential item in their decision making. I don't think that "no one gives a shit about" it.

That... does not bode well. Hopefully Classics/History folk there are less interested in it.

12 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

That... does not bode well. Hopefully Classics/History folk there are less interested in it.

Well I've heard someone say they got in by just using their SOP for the personal statement too...I don't see how it can hurt you besides being badly written. I think it's just for diversity fellowships and for people to explain if they had any unique circumstances. Since that didn't really apply to me, I just wrote about 400 describing my academic journey and how I might help disadvantaged populations. You'll be fine.