Apps Sent, Now What?

Mystic_Fog

14 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Mystic_Fog Yeah I want to keep costs as low as possible. I'm getting a BS in geology and my GPA is sorta low so I'm not sure how competitive I am. I guess we will see how it goes!  It's above a 3.0 though, I'm hoping my experience will give me a boost. Most of my professors have sent in their letters except for one, I expected her to wait till the last min though ha. I love my adviser but she gets flustered very easily.

My adviser is the same way - she's fantastic but very scattered. Well, she's faculty chair and writing a book so I can't blame her but she's definitely the one who turned stuff in last and I was realllllly worried about her for while. thought I may have to nag her. 

Are you going for a PhD or a masters degree? From what I've seen funding is almost always guaranteed for PhD (as in they only accept the number of people they can fund, but maybe that's a disciplinary convention) but for masters it can be harder from what I've seen. I'm a pretty solid middle ground candidate with my GPA and GRE, so I'm hoping 3 wonderful LOR's from professors in my department, a good SOP, and experience make up for it. 

14 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm making a list of all of the things that I'm always saying I'll get around to if I could ever find the time and finally doing them.

I should do that. I HAVE been saying I'd clean my room for the last few weeks...hmmmm.

On 12/2/2015, 7:18:24, telkanuru said:

Finish your finals, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR SUBMITTED DOCUMENTS EVER AGAIN, and drink until February. 

On 12/2/2015, 8:56:44, fuzzylogician said:

For the love of god, please do not look at submitted apps. What good could possibly come of that?

THIS!!!!!!!

I only just finally looked at some of my submitted docs, my SOPs specifically. I could barely stomach it. I accidentally opened my CV... I couldn't even look at it! Closed it right away! 

I can't handle it and I'm ALREADY IN THE PROGRAM! So just . don't. do it. 

Binge Netflix. Internetshop for Christmas presents for other people. Find cool new music you never knew existed. Go to a place in nature you rarely go (it shakes your brain up and give sit something new and stimulating to focus on). 

Whatever you do don't open those files. :)

@Mystic_Fog I'm going for my masters! A lot of my friends have gotten funding for their master programs so I know it's possible. They are in master programs dealing with geology, so they are getting MS while I'm most likely getting a MA. But if I don't get funding, I'm definitely going to the cheapest/most affordable option. I'm also not too worried because I have zero debt from undergrad so I have a clean slate. I have my finals left so thats my distraction plus hgtv...

@Need Coffee in an IV I see. That's nice to have a clean slate - my debt is not awful but not great either (around 40k by the time I graduate, give or take a grand or 2). OH yeah they can absolutely be funded - some schools have better funding than others and sometimes certain programs just get funded more. So you may be fine - just gotta get that FAFSA in.

12 hours ago, Mystic_Fog said:

I should do that. I HAVE been saying I'd clean my room for the last few weeks...hmmmm.

Now if you're going to do this then the key is to be very specific.  "Clean my room" is so broad it just begs for procrastination.  I'm getting very detailed.... clean baseboards, vacuum under the couch, clean the fridge, wash curtains, etc.