2016 Acceptance Thread

On 12/20/2015 at 9:40 AM, rockwilda said:

I was expecting to wait much longer than this. The applications were due 12/1. I am definitely not complaining though.

I wonder how situations like this happen. U of Rochester's deadline last year was 15 January, and they were already letting people know by the start of February.

2 hours ago, silenus_thescribe said:

I wonder how situations like this happen. U of Rochester's deadline last year was 15 January, and they were already letting people know by the start of February.

MSU always notifies R/C before break, from what I understand. That's why the deadline is so early.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was accepted into OSU's MA program! This is the first school I've heard back from, only a few weeks after submitting my application. Very excited! (Not to mention surprised at hearing so early.)

Still haven't heard a peep from the other schools, but a thorough examination of the Results Survey revealed that none of them have sent out responses or interview invitations yet (or at least not in my program).

Congrats to everyone who's already been accepted or invited to an interview!

10 minutes ago, Unimpressed3D said:

I was accepted into OSU's MA program! This is the first school I've heard back from, only a few weeks after submitting my application. Very excited! (Not to mention surprised at hearing so early.)

Still haven't heard a peep from the other schools, but a thorough examination of the Results Survey revealed that none of them have sent out responses or interview invitations yet (or at least not in my program).

Congrats to everyone who's already been accepted or invited to an interview!

Congrats! Is that Ohio or Oregon?

3 hours ago, Unimpressed3D said:

Thanks! It's Oregon.

Nice! I applied for their MA too! Which specialization did you apply for (if you don't mind me asking)?

Edit: Sorry, I'm on mobile so I can't see your signature if all this info is located there!

Edited by A blighted one

@A blighted one Good luck! I applied for the MA in Literature and Culture. They said they're not notifying most of their candidates for another few weeks, though. The reason I was contacted early is that they're nominating me for a fellowship. I think there are two people being nominated for that, and another for an institutional scholarship. They didn't mention numbers for the cohort, though.

6 minutes ago, Unimpressed3D said:

@A blighted one Good luck! I applied for the MA in Literature and Culture. They said they're not notifying most of their candidates for another few weeks, though. The reason I was contacted early is that they're nominating me for a fellowship. I think there are two people being nominated for that, and another for an institutional scholarship. They didn't mention numbers for the cohort, though.

Awesome, congratulations!

Congrats on the good news!

BTW -- did anybody receive an interview invite from Duke English? Do you reckon it would be safe to assume no invite = rejection?

Also, out of curiosity, how are English PhD interviews conducted? Do they typically grill you about your writing sample, reasons for applying, etc? I think I'd be a nervous wreck..

If it wasn't clear, I'm obsessing over results (read compulsively checking GC 24/7). It might have something to do with the fact that it's my second time/year doing this. I have yet to hear from any of the schools I applied to and the radio silence is fairly killing me.. 

Edited by ypink

56 minutes ago, ypink said:

Congrats on the good news!

BTW -- did anybody receive an interview invite from Duke English? Do you reckon it would be safe to assume no invite = rejection?

Also, out of curiosity, how are English PhD interviews conducted? Do they typically grill you about your writing sample, reasons for applying, etc? I think I'd be a nervous wreck..

If it wasn't clear, I'm obsessing over results (read compulsively checking GC 24/7). It might have something to do with the fact that it's my second time/year doing this. I have yet to hear from any of the schools I applied to and the radio silence is fairly killing me.. 

This is my first time around and I'm feeling the same way. Im beginning to think (and truly believe) that I did everything wrong and I'm screwed.

It doesn't look like any of my programs do interviews (I'm applying for mostly MA programs), but I'm also very interested in what the interviews are like.

Good luck, ypink!

Edited by A blighted one

@ypink I had a Skype interview with Duke English last week, and I believe that two other people on the results page did as well. Who knows for sure what not getting an interview signifies, but I did have the impression they were all sent out by this point, yes :(

As for how it went down, it was quite relaxed. If anything, I maybe "over-prepared" which resulted in my first response sounding a little breathless and rehearsed before I realized this was nowhere near as tribunal-like as I imagined and I could just relax. Basically just had a conversation about a research project I'd like to do, and a bit about my academic background. There was nothing "tricky," no "gotcha" questions at all -- it seems like in interviews they really do just want to have a conversation geared towards determining whether you're a good fit with the department or not. Good luck! I bet you'll hear back from some programs this week!