2016 Acceptance Thread

4 hours ago, aGiRlCalLeDApPlE said:

I have this feeling that if I e-mail the school the I'm waiting to hear back from, I'll get this answer: "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?" Do they even remember that I've applied there?

Well, I emailed the school I was waiting to hear from and got a very warm reply..Their delay was only because of funding complications..If the wait is driving you nuts, its perfectly ok to email and ask..Schools should have notified their applicants by now..As an applicant you have the right to ask..I guess the worst they could do is not to reply..

On 3/29/2016 at 2:19 PM, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Thank you! (and you as well, @mk-8!) I think the sunshine will do me fine, after 31 years in Michigan (well, and 2 in Ohio for my MA).

I still haven't heard from ASU, so I was thinking of emailing the department again to ask about my status, or maybe just to let them know that they can remove my name from consideration if they are still in the process of notifying.  Would you mind sharing who from the department contacted you about your admission?

2 hours ago, HumanCylinder said:

I still haven't heard from ASU, so I was thinking of emailing the department again to ask about my status, or maybe just to let them know that they can remove my name from consideration if they are still in the process of notifying.  Would you mind sharing who from the department contacted you about your admission?

I sent you a message with their emails. :)

I'm a mostly lurker, especially this season, but I am excited to say I accepted an offer at Louisville. 

Not sure if any of you remember, but in the 2014/15 season, I went 0 for 8, so Ibe spent the last year out of academia. This season, I did the silly, risky thing of applying to only one school, both because I fell in love with the program (bad idea!) and was still a bit burnt out and let down by last year. 

Just in case any of you are in the "I didn't get in anywhere" boat: it's not the end of the world. It's not the end of your academic career. It's almost definitely not a judgement on you. You've got around 8 months to really investigate programs, really figure out "fit," and polish up the things you wrote most recently, which are likely to be the best you've written so far.

Congrats, @CrashJupiter!  If you want any commentary on living in Louisville, let me know - I didn't go to UofL, so I don't have school-specific advice to offer (except, if you're interested in/able to take a class or two in the lit. part of the department, and like modernism/cultural studies: Prof. Jaffee--very interesting/cool/great guy, at least as far as his research goes) but, I lived there for a bit, and can definitely point you to all the best and coolest bookstores, coffee shops, bars, etc., etc., if you want!

On 4/15/2016 at 6:16 PM, Little Earthquakes said:

I accepted my offer at University of Washington Seattle this morning! I'm elated but I also feel like I'm gonna throw up. So relieved this waiting is over!

Congrats Little Earthquakes! Are you joining the English or Comp Lit department? I'll be starting at UW this fall as well. 

19 hours ago, Little Earthquakes said:

I'll be in the English (Lit) department! What about yourself? Congrats!

I'll be in the Scandinavian lit department, but I'm also hoping to do some work with the Simpson Center for the Humanities and the Comp Lit department as well.

Happy to say I accepted a fully funded offer to UW Seattle that came in at the eleventh hour! If any of you have recommendations for living in Seattle or attending UW specifically, please feel free to share any info/insights you might have; it would be much appreciated! Cheers to all of the other acceptances this application season, and best of luck to those re-applying for the next cycle. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to have finally accepted an offer from SDSU to be part of their English literature MA program! If anyone else has accepted a spot in this program or is currently in it, or possibly nearby at UCSD, please let me know--I'd love to talk :) 

Applied to NC State University's Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media program. I was accepted back in February/March, and was told to wait until April for funding. About 3 weeks ago, I wrote them and asked, which they replied there was no additional funding left. On Sunday, the program director emailed me and offered me a Provost Fellowship (a great opportunity to work with a faculty member for the year, an extremely generous stipend that covers health insurance, and funding for the remaining 3 years as long as I keep a 3.0). Ecstatic about the opportunity I've been given to study there, as it was the only Ph.D. program I applied to, and really wanted to attend. 

22 minutes ago, smith1651 said:

Applied to NC State University's Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media program. I was accepted back in February/March, and was told to wait until April for funding. About 3 weeks ago, I wrote them and asked, which they replied there was no additional funding left. On Sunday, the program director emailed me and offered me a Provost Fellowship (a great opportunity to work with a faculty member for the year, an extremely generous stipend that covers health insurance, and funding for the remaining 3 years as long as I keep a 3.0). Ecstatic about the opportunity I've been given to study there, as it was the only Ph.D. program I applied to, and really wanted to attend. 

Congrats! :D 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 0:24 AM, smith1651 said:

Sounds great, congrats..