2016 Acceptance Thread

On 3/4/2016 at 10:49 AM, bpilgrim89 said:

I got the "official" email response today, but I received my joint admission/funding email much earlier the day before. Like I said, I think they notified me earlier in order to discuss the details of my funding over the phone, but of course, that's pure conjecture! If it helps at all, your 19k offer at Penn State is more than what I'm getting offered from Georgetown, so even if you get funding, Penn State will probably be more generous.

"Recommendation for admission" email Friday for Georgetown as well- the consensus seems to be that this is basically admission, right? And seems like funding offers have all probably been made? I feel like deciphering the rhetoric in the email is almost as stressful as waiting. :wacko: Congratulations to everyone, though!

OH, and I thought I would pass on, my undergrad email that I am still using tagged that email this way: " 8.8/5.0
This incoming message has been identified by the central filters as
possible spam.  This attachment is provided so that you can review the
reasons the message was tagged, and to assist with additional filtering
if you wish to supplement the central filters with your own local rules. "

Double-check your spam folders, everyone!

Edited by jillcicle
more information

18 hours ago, jillcicle said:

"Recommendation for admission" email Friday for Georgetown as well- the consensus seems to be that this is basically admission, right? And seems like funding offers have all probably been made? I feel like deciphering the rhetoric in the email is almost as stressful as waiting. :wacko: Congratulations to everyone, though!

I emailed them to ask about funding b/c I need to decide whether or not to commit to UBC by tomorrow, and they wrote back to me this morning saying they're still apparently in the process of deciding funding ("we hope to have more definitive information for you over the next few weeks as we are currently in the process of deciding funding offers").

1 hour ago, Aloice said:

I emailed them to ask about funding b/c I need to decide whether or not to commit to UBC by tomorrow, and they wrote back to me this morning saying they're still apparently in the process of deciding funding ("we hope to have more definitive information for you over the next few weeks as we are currently in the process of deciding funding offers").

Oh, that's good to know! The suspense continues, then.

On a side note, what's the etiquette with this "recommended for admission" email. Should I reply? What should I say? I don't just want to be like "OMG thank you!" or bother an important person unnecessarily.

Anyone heard anything from Boston College? I haven't seen any PhD or MA acceptances, and it seems like in the past they've generally gotten back to people around the last week of February...

47 minutes ago, firstsummerinthesierras said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Denver? I know it is a small program and there aren't a lot of folks who applied, but so far my email and call to the graduate coordinator of GSAS have gone unanswered. I am finding that being ignored feels much worse than just being rejected.

I called them this morning and got a voice mail that "decisions should be out in the next several weeks" (!!!!!!!).  Apparently they are dealing with a new system or something. My sympathy and patience is dwindling, though, as it's, you know, 3/7/2016.

22 minutes ago, EmmaJava said:

I called them this morning and got a voice mail that "decisions should be out in the next several weeks" (!!!!!!!).  Apparently they are dealing with a new system or something. My sympathy and patience is dwindling, though, as it's, you know, 3/7/2016.

For what it is worth, the AHSS assistant said they should be coming out around this time, and that was a few weeks ago. So, anytime between now and the next few weeks.

Wait.

That doesn't help...

1 hour ago, hbr93 said:

Anyone heard anything from Boston College? I haven't seen any PhD or MA acceptances, and it seems like in the past they've generally gotten back to people around the last week of February...

There is an MA acceptance up now.  Email notification.

3 minutes ago, bruin228 said:

Is Colorado done sending out MA acceptances? I hope not :\

I was just coming here to ask this. There's only one acceptance on the results search specifically for the MA, not the PhD offered MA... hoping they're still going to roll out

Also, congrats to everyone thus far! 

On 2016/3/7 at 2:13 PM, jillcicle said:

Oh, that's good to know! The suspense continues, then.

On a side note, what's the etiquette with this "recommended for admission" email. Should I reply? What should I say? I don't just want to be like "OMG thank you!" or bother an important person unnecessarily.

I don't think you absolutely /have/ to reply, but replying an email saying that you appreciate the offer and asking a few questions you might have about the program probably wouldn't hurt anything.

On 2/19/2016 at 3:22 PM, queeraf said:

Just got a call from Rhet Comp at Oregon State. Really happy but now I'm having to decide between an offer for a top PhD program in gender studies or go with an MA in English. What are people's thoughts on rhetoric/composition and gender studies as far as the job market? I would really appreciate any advice :) 

In 2017 I'm applying to both like you, but I would choose the top PhD program no question; I'm using MA programs as more of a backup/safety. An MA in Rhet Comp usually leads to teaching writing at the CC level (first adjuncting and then maybe a TT after a few years) or as PhD preparation for the top program that you were already accepted to. :)

I'm so very relieved to say that after two years of applications, I now have multiple offers to English PhD programs (Creative Dissertation). I was accepted at Texas Tech today. I am waiting to hear from four more schools, and the final word on my waitlist spot at USC. Sometimes it is about timing and fit and the stars aligning, but if you should find yourself in the universal rejection camp, please don't lose hope. 

2 acceptances/ 1 waitlist/ 2 rejections/ 4 more I'm waiting to hear from

2 hours ago, jpop said:

I'm so very relieved to say that after two years of applications, I now have multiple offers to English PhD programs (Creative Dissertation). I was accepted at Texas Tech today. I am waiting to hear from four more schools, and the final word on my waitlist spot at USC. Sometimes it is about timing and fit and the stars aligning, but if you should find yourself in the universal rejection camp, please don't lose hope. 

2 acceptances/ 1 waitlist/ 2 rejections/ 4 more I'm waiting to hear from

Congratulations on your acceptances:-)

And thanks for sharing such a heart-warming message!

On March 11, 2016 at 4:05 PM, underwater said:

Hey there!  If you have any questions about Boulder, let me know!  I'm finishing my MA here in May.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you tomorrow!

Just got an email telling me to check my application status for Columbia, and am shocked (and excited) to see I was accepted! I submitted my application about 15 minutes after the deadline closed, and I thought for sure that would be a serious black mark against me.