2016 Acceptance Thread

5 hours ago, conceptcheck said:

I got my official acceptance packet for UW-Milwaukee PhD yesterday. If anyone here is still PMing about the program and stuff, please let me know! (Lit and Cultural Studies plan.)

We are still chatting, I'll see if we can get you added to our PM.

3 hours ago, twvancamp said:

Got an acceptance notice from U British Columbia. Would love to get in contact with the other accepted student!

Congratulations! I was accepted to UBC last year and although I ended going with a different program, I had a very hard time turning them down. I had nothing but positive experiences with the program & faculty in all of my correspondence with them, and the campus is beautiful (of course, I may be a little biased as I'm from Vancouver). It's a great school.

Just got a call from Rhet Comp at Oregon State. Really happy but now I'm having to decide between an offer for a top PhD program in gender studies or go with an MA in English. What are people's thoughts on rhetoric/composition and gender studies as far as the job market? I would really appreciate any advice :) 

Hi all! Long time lurker, first-time poster.

I got accepted at Howard University for their English PhD, but yesterday I got an email congratulating me on being accepted to U Pitt's program! If there are applicants/fellow possible peers here, I would love to get in contact with you! :)

If any Rutgers admits are floating around the forum today, feel free to PM me if you have any questions in advance of official communications! I'm a first year in the program doing 20th century things, and there are a few other people on grad cafe as well in different periods.

Edited by echo449

God help me. I just realized my phone may not have been working properly for the last couple of weeks. I thought it was, but I just got an email from a friend on the east coast who says she's been getting error messages - not in service or whatever - trying to call me 2-3 times since about the 4th. It wasn't urgent, and I guess it didn't occur to her that I didn't know, so she just now emailed me! Shit!

Now what? How common is it even for schools to call? I'm in English, for which I hear interviews are rare. The 3/14 I've heard from have all been emails. Do any of them actually contact you for the first time by phone??? And what do I do if I missed a call...? I haven't gotten anything snail mail, either. I'm telling myself email is the only logical method of contact, unless they want to interview, and I don't think any of the schools I've applied to even do that.

I'm going to the AT&T store first thing tomorrow, of course...

26 minutes ago, Unimpressed3D said:

God help me. I just realized my phone may not have been working properly for the last couple of weeks. I thought it was, but I just got an email from a friend on the east coast who says she's been getting error messages - not in service or whatever - trying to call me 2-3 times since about the 4th. It wasn't urgent, and I guess it didn't occur to her that I didn't know, so she just now emailed me! Shit!

Now what? How common is it even for schools to call? I'm in English, for which I hear interviews are rare. The 3/14 I've heard from have all been emails. Do any of them actually contact you for the first time by phone??? And what do I do if I missed a call...? I haven't gotten anything snail mail, either. I'm telling myself email is the only logical method of contact, unless they want to interview, and I don't think any of the schools I've applied to even do that.

I reckon committee chairs would, at last resort, leave a message. I can't imagine they're thinking "Well, Unimpressed3D didn't pick up their phone so I guess they're not Columbia material."

1 hour ago, Unimpressed3D said:

Many programs call first, but they follow that up with a more formal offer via email, so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

That said, definitely get it working before April. I remember my phone blowing up on the 15th back during my MA application season, as schools worked through their waitlists after declines and wanted to get answers from folks quickly.

Hi everybody 

congrats to all!

I have a question about UPenn, people got interviews, but I didn't recieve email or anything! Does it mean I'm rejected? Or they are still working on cases??? I checked the online portal and my status is still "submitted "

Thanks 

Edited by HamidReza

3 hours ago, HamidReza said:

Hi everybody 

congrats to all!

I have a question about UPenn, people got interviews, but I didn't recieve email or anything! Does it mean I'm rejected? Or they are still working on cases??? I checked the online portal and my status is still "submitted "

Thanks 

What program are you talking about? UPenn English doesn't do interviews. Not sure about Comp Lit

26 minutes ago, genderboi said:

What program are you talking about? UPenn English doesn't do interviews. Not sure about Comp Lit

Are we sure about this? If this is true, it gives me hopes! :D  I read somewhere else Complit does interviews (somebody posted theirs had been a few days ago).

7 minutes ago, BellaBendrix said:

Are we sure about this? If this is true, it gives me hopes! :D  I read somewhere else Complit does interviews (somebody posted theirs had been a few days ago).

Yep, they notify late(r) than other programs too, at least in previous years. It says on their website: 

Please note: the Graduate English Department does not conduct interviews for prospective students, nor do we send out information regarding our program to prospective students.

Edited by genderboi

Thanks. I think it's working now, though it was freezing up on the drive home this evening (first time it's done that). I'll take it back again if necessary.

But yes, I would think email would be the channel for official communication. I'm sure I'll be hearing from the rest of schools soon, and it looks like most of the ones I haven't heard from, no one else has heard from yet, either. Or very few, which either means they're being nominated for institutional fellowships or...I didn't get in.

Of course, if I haven't heard back by April or so, I might contact them...

On 2/11/2016 at 3:50 PM, klader said:

Also, @maenaew, the email said that the department will cover the costs of transportation and lodging (although I've yet to get contacted by the travel coordinator). And if the flights are as cheap as pbhwhey said, I'm sure it'd be within their budget!

That is quite a distance for you, though, so it's understandable for you to question going. I'm about 1200 miles away (which is still a lot, I guess), but I'd be willing to fly down there.

To all those experienced with open houses: is it worth it to go to the open houses? Has it helped any of you directly make your decisions? A couple of my professors waved it off and said they weren't that important, but I kind of feel like they could be.

Hi guys, I'm in at USF too (for rhet/comp)! I'll be at the open house in March as well.

Accepted to UNCG English! Had a good long talk with my advisor today and he's strongly encouraging me to go to UCLA, but I wouldn't mind a visit to UNCG just to connect with one of the best professors in my field even if I probably won't wind up going there. Only school I'm (officially) waiting to hear back on is Emory, even though I'm considering it a rejection at this point. Would it be considered inappropriate to call them and ask just so I can get confirmation of the inevitable? Judging by the past, they usually would've sent out waitlists/rejections a couple weeks ago.