2016 Acceptance Thread

Has anyone been waitlisted in SUNY Buffalo's English program yet?  Is there still hope? Also- @pbnwhey, was your acceptance to CU Boulder's English dept?  If so, congratulations!  And when did you hear from them?

Edited by DaniB23

36 minutes ago, DaniB23 said:

Has anyone been waitlisted in SUNY Buffalo's English program yet?  Is there still hope? Also- @pbnwhey, was your acceptance to CU Boulder's English dept?  If so, congratulations!  And when did you hear from them?

Nope, actually my Boulder acceptance was to Ethnic Studies, and I heard from them yesterday -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you though!! :)

49 minutes ago, DaniB23 said:

Has anyone been waitlisted in SUNY Buffalo's English program yet?  Is there still hope?

I applied to SUNY Buffalo for English but haven't heard a thing yet, and my application status still says "Initial review in progress" when I log in. I am also still hoping they aren't finished sending out acceptance/waitlist notifications, but I'd just like to hear one way or the other soon...currently waiting on about 4 implied rejections based on the results board. 

1 minute ago, HumanCylinder said:

I applied to SUNY Buffalo for English but haven't heard a thing yet, and my application status still says "Initial review in progress" when I log in. I am also still hoping they aren't finished sending out acceptance/waitlist notifications, but I'd just like to hear one way or the other soon...currently waiting on about 4 implied rejections based on the results board. 

Me too: My implied rejections thus far are Pitt (film studies), Duke, and possibly Buffalo.  Real hard to focus/stay positive with all this hanging over my head :-/

3 minutes ago, DaniB23 said:

Me too: My implied rejections thus far are Pitt (film studies), Duke, and possibly Buffalo.  Real hard to focus/stay positive with all this hanging over my head :-/

I was feeling really down when I saw the first Buffalo notifications early in the morning since it's a program high on my list, but then I saw an acceptance in my inbox later that day -- this process is a crazy whirlwind, so hang in there because it's impossible to predict how things will shake out and there are a lot of possibilities still.  For me, it's just about trying to focus on one day at a time; the next day's a clean slate with new possibilities.  Hoping the next month or two brings positive news to everyone!

To be honest, I don't think grad schools bother to change the status of the applications online. It is killing me that I have 15 to hear back from. I hope they can just flat out reject me or tell me where I stand in the game. I have been unproductive for a month and I feel sorry for myself. I feel that 1/2 of my February is wasted on staring at my inbox and watching Netflix to ease the pain. 

6 minutes ago, thepriorwalter said:

I see that a few of the Michigan acceptances are starting to roll in! If anyone has questions at any point, I'm happy to answer as best I can. :) 

Hi, I'm one of the acceptances and have tons of questions :) Should I pm you?

Edited by BellaBendrix

38 minutes ago, thepriorwalter said:

I see that a few of the Michigan acceptances are starting to roll in! If anyone has questions at any point, I'm happy to answer as best I can. :) 

Hello! I am also one of the Michigan Ann Arbor acceptances! I'll PM you, too :)

1 hour ago, WendyWonderland said:

To be honest, I don't think grad schools bother to change the status of the applications online. It is killing me that I have 15 to hear back from. I hope they can just flat out reject me or tell me where I stand in the game. I have been unproductive for a month and I feel sorry for myself. I feel that 1/2 of my February is wasted on staring at my inbox and watching Netflix to ease the pain. 

I'm with you, @WendyWonderland. It's a huge distraction.  Most days I fall somewhere between wanting to crawl under a rock and feeling like my brain will implode.  This is why I just focus on getting through the day at hand without being too hard on myself.  Hopefully just a handful of weeks before the dust settles.   

14 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

I'm with you, @WendyWonderland. It's a huge distraction.  Most days I fall somewhere between wanting to crawl under a rock and feeling like my brain will implode.  This is why I just focus on getting through the day at hand without being too hard on myself.  Hopefully just a handful of weeks before the dust settles.   

Geez, you both speak directly to my day-to-day. Until UCSB comes out with their decision on my application (this week, according to my conversation with the graduate coordinator), I will continue to read millions of Democratic primary articles and analyses, following each Bernie poll with the same, displaced urgency and anxiety as that of my graduate admission fight.

Whatever, color me millennial, but I'll always remember these concomitant and uncertain futures together...! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

So, I've heard nothing from Vanderbilt despite a lot of rejections and acceptances being posted on the results page and elsewhere. Should I just assume that is a rejection at this point?

I'm certain of nothing, of course, but they did send me a waitlist notification several weeks back. Maybe they just do everything in waves? 

By the by, I also got admitted to U Michigan Ann Arbor today! Yay!~ (And rejected from Brown! Booooo!)

Got an admission to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee! I'm absolutely in awe, though I'm in a "top spot" on the TAship waitlist--and I can't go unless I get that funding. :(

Joining in the fits and starts over here as well -- it's been a teeth-grinding email checking life punctuated with absolute apathy about anything else these past two weeks. To those of you also in the throes, I'm sending good vibes. @WendyWonderland you get like a ton of extra brownie points for all those apps, I can not even imagine. I hope you got some of those fees waived.

My field is so tiny, I only have three apps out there in the world -- I've been accepted to U Wisconsin - Madison and will be visiting at the end of the month; been rejected from U Minnesota, which was anticipated, I just really like Minneapolis; and...am still waiting to hear back from my first choice, U Washington and am in denial about the fact that I probably won't hear from them until mid-March. I'm not sure how I'll make it that long.

2 hours ago, maenaew said:

Got an admission to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee! I'm absolutely in awe, though I'm in a "top spot" on the TAship waitlist--and I can't go unless I get that funding. :(

I'm at UWM now, and I was in the exact same boat a year and a half ago. I would be very optimistic; I was notified of a TAship within a week or two. A few people turn down the offer every year.

1 hour ago, gerryowen9 said:

I'm at UWM now, and I was in the exact same boat a year and a half ago. I would be very optimistic; I was notified of a TAship within a week or two. A few people turn down the offer every year.

I've also been accepted to UW-Milwaukee, but in the MA program. No word on funding yet, but do you know anything about the likelihood of a prospective MA student receiving funding? I only applied for funded MA's this round, and I have another fully-funded offer elsewhere, but I'm very interested in UW-Milwaukee's Literature and Cultural Theory program. Thanks in advance!

@gerryowen9 That's excellent to hear! Like I wrote earlier, the letter said I was in a 'top spot' on the list, but I wasn't sure if they just tell everyone that or not. I was accepted into the Literature and Cultural Theory program (like @A blighted one), but for the PhD. Gerry, would you mind if perhaps I PMed you with a few questions about the program? In particular I'd want to ask mostly about living in the area, especially on the UWM stipend (which is smaller than what I was offered by UCincinnati and USF, but it's a better ranked program so I'm not sure what to do, haha....).

13 minutes ago, maenaew said:

@gerryowen9 That's excellent to hear! Like I wrote earlier, the letter said I was in a 'top spot' on the list, but I wasn't sure if they just tell everyone that or not. I was accepted into the Literature and Cultural Theory program (like @A blighted one), but for the PhD. Gerry, would you mind if perhaps I PMed you with a few questions about the program? In particular I'd want to ask mostly about living in the area, especially on the UWM stipend (which is smaller than what I was offered by UCincinnati and USF, but it's a better ranked program so I'm not sure what to do, haha....).

No problem. Blighted, maybe you want to jump in on this too?

Hey, congratulations to everyone who have been getting in to the program of their choice! And sympathies for those who haven't received good news (or any news) yet. The lack of news is driving me up the walls, and making me super unproductive! So I figured I'd vent.

I got an acceptance with an Excellence Fellowship for Rutgers Comp Lit a couple of weeks ago, and just got a waitlist at CUNY English. I did apply to Emory but I guess that's a bust judging by the results board, although I have not heard anything from them yet.

My top choice is NYU, whose stoic silence will probably give me an ulcer.  I had applied to their program a couple of years ago and had already received my waitlist email by this time of the month. The Results board shows 2 acceptances on the 3rd of Feb. Anybody else heard from them?

Also, is there anyone here from Rutgers because I'd really like to talk to someone who goes/went there.

2 hours ago, blomnosgrad said:

Hey, congratulations to everyone who have been getting in to the program of their choice! And sympathies for those who haven't received good news (or any news) yet. The lack of news is driving me up the walls, and making me super unproductive! So I figured I'd vent.

I got an acceptance with an Excellence Fellowship for Rutgers Comp Lit a couple of weeks ago, and just got a waitlist at CUNY English. I did apply to Emory but I guess that's a bust judging by the results board, although I have not heard anything from them yet.

My top choice is NYU, whose stoic silence will probably give me an ulcer.  I had applied to their program a couple of years ago and had already received my waitlist email by this time of the month. The Results board shows 2 acceptances on the 3rd of Feb. Anybody else heard from them?

Also, is there anyone here from Rutgers because I'd really like to talk to someone who goes/went there.

Hey!

I'm from Rutgers. Feel free to PM! I'll do my best to answer questions. Edit because you're in the Comp Lit. acceptance pool. I can answer questions about SAS in general, and about the English Dept. But for Comp. Lit questions, you're probably better off talking to someone from that dept. who will be better informed.

Edited by Metaellipses