2016 Acceptance Thread

Congratulations, @maenaew!! I bet you feel so relieved now (I know I sure do!).

Yes, while USF isn't the most well-known program, I've heard that it's still quite good and that they're doing some quality work. My professors here at my ungrad think very highly of it and are excited that I have a chance to consider it.

Did you get offered a teaching assistantship, too? My email mentioned it and said that I'd receive the official offer in the mail. Also, are you going to go to the open house? I have a couple of professors who are a bit cranky about me missing so much class two weeks in a row for the two open houses, but I'm probably going to do it anyway!

39 minutes ago, Poustevnik said:

Anyone want to claim the CUNY acceptance on the results page? And, if possible, provide some more info on the email?

I second this request! Very curious!

Hi all,

The CUNY offer is mine. The email was pretty non-specific; just a congratulations, offer to answer any questions, and a notification that a later email will "provide you with funding information and other details related to your acceptance." Nothing about other decisions.

Reeeeeeeally excited. Best of luck to y'all.

11 minutes ago, gerryowen9 said:

Hi all,

The CUNY offer is mine. The email was pretty non-specific; just a congratulations, offer to answer any questions, and a notification that a later email will "provide you with funding information and other details related to your acceptance." Nothing about other decisions.

Reeeeeeeally excited. Best of luck to y'all.

Congratulations! It's a great program! What's you area?

On 2/8/2016 at 4:01 AM, EROSvTHANATOS said:

Hello everyone,

Just a note to say I've been admitted to UC Berkeley's Rhetoric PhD program. They admitted seven other people this year. There was no interview process, and the notifications were sent by email last week (Feb 3-7)

Congratulations to all of you on your various acceptances and achievements! And hopefully more to come :)

Hey!! 

Much congrats! 

May I ask who did you hear about your acceptance from?

5 minutes ago, gerryowen9 said:

Contemporary American. Also some science fiction, marxist stuff.

The GC definitely likes their blends! Where are you coming from?

2 minutes ago, DJS said:

The GC definitely likes their blends! Where are you coming from?

I'm finishing my MA in Wisconsin right now. Are you in the program currently? Any idea what the funding situation is like? Maybe PMs would be a better place for this...?

@klader I did! I got the same deal you did, I think! Which is exciting though I'm a little worried about the cost of living in Tampa! We'll see. And I'm not sure about Open House, though I'd love to go: I'm currently up at UMaine getting my Master's, so getting there would be very difficult.

26 minutes ago, maenaew said:

@klader I did! I got the same deal you did, I think! Which is exciting though I'm a little worried about the cost of living in Tampa! We'll see. And I'm not sure about Open House, though I'd love to go: I'm currently up at UMaine getting my Master's, so getting there would be very difficult.

Allegiant Air has suuuuuuuuper cheap flights from BGR to Tampa....just saying (like $130 cheap)

Also, @maenaew, the email said that the department will cover the costs of transportation and lodging (although I've yet to get contacted by the travel coordinator). And if the flights are as cheap as pbhwhey said, I'm sure it'd be within their budget!

That is quite a distance for you, though, so it's understandable for you to question going. I'm about 1200 miles away (which is still a lot, I guess), but I'd be willing to fly down there.

To all those experienced with open houses: is it worth it to go to the open houses? Has it helped any of you directly make your decisions? A couple of my professors waved it off and said they weren't that important, but I kind of feel like they could be.

Aside from the one CUNY acceptance (congrats btw) and the one NYU acceptance (which no one owned up to), any word on either schools getting in touch? Either the English faculty/DGS, or GSAS?

The suspense is killing me!

Whoa, looks like some Brown English results are starting to come in! 

For anyone who has applied to Brown, did you ever get a link to some kind of application status checking site? Or are you just checking the "status" on ApplyWeb? I got emails saying they received my application, but never any kind of link to anywhere to check a status, so I've just been using ApplyWeb.

Edited by solomonski

3 minutes ago, firstsummerinthesierras said:

Was everyone who was accepted/waitlisted/rejected from University of Pittsburgh in the Film Studies track? I applied for Cultural Studies and haven't heard anything. Mostly anticipating a rejection due to fit, but it is strange I have not heard anything.

Though I applied to the film studies track (English), I still haven't heard a thing, with the exception of a secretary from the wrong track accidentally asking me to fill out a language placement exam over a month ago and then letting me know that the form was accidentally sent to me and others....

55 minutes ago, solomonski said:

For anyone who has applied to Brown, did you ever get a link to some kind of application status checking site? Or are you just checking the "status" on ApplyWeb? I got emails saying they received my application, but never any kind of link to anywhere to check a status, so I've just been using ApplyWeb.

I am wondering the same thing. So far no visible change in applyweb, though i'm not familiar with the website at all. 

1 hour ago, solomonski said:

No, I never did. I have also received only a confirmation email that I successfully submitted my application. None of the programs I applied to have a portal site where you can check on the status of your application, so thankfully that's one fewer thing to compulsively check. I'm refreshing my email enough as it is.

Edited by lesabendio

59 minutes ago, firstsummerinthesierras said:

Was everyone who was accepted/waitlisted/rejected from University of Pittsburgh in the Film Studies track? I applied for Cultural Studies and haven't heard anything. Mostly anticipating a rejection due to fit, but it is strange I have not heard anything.

I also applied to the Critical and Cultural Studies track and have not heard back yet. 

1 hour ago, solomonski said:

FWIW, I applied to a bunch of schools that use ApplyWeb and so far one of them has posted the decision letter using the ApplyWeb interface (right above the recommendation letters). So I've been checking AW for my other schools. 

Also waiting for Brown English! 

2 hours ago, solomonski said:

I got in :)--probably one of my top 3 choices, so, definitely excited..!

But, when a decision is made, they'll email you, which directs you to applyweb, where there'll be a new section between print receipt and checklist, a "decision" section, a section that still appears if you just go straight there. (It still just says "submitted" in the corner, no change there.)

Edited by haltheincandescent

14 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

I got in :)--probably one of my top 3 choices, so, definitely excited..!

But, when a decision is made, they'll email you, which directs you to applyweb, where there'll be a new section between print receipt and checklist, a "decision" section, a section that still appears if you just go straight there. (It still just says "submitted" in the corner, no change there.)

Thanks for the info, and congratulations on the Brown acceptance!

Edited by lesabendio