2016 Acceptance Thread

2 minutes ago, TomJones678 said:

Hi, pbnwhey,

Just curious--with UNC Greensboro, did you arrange a campus visit with the dept/POI? Do you suppose that's expected in order to have a good chance of getting accepted?

Hey! I didn't do a campus visit this time around, but I wouldn't expect them to hold it against you at all for not doing one. I visited like 4 years ago while looking at Master's programs (didn't end up applying there), but wouldn't expect them to remember me at all. I did exchange e-mails with my POI earlier in the year and he seemed really interested in working with me, but let me know that their department doesn't have guaranteed funding but that TAships are available if they offer you one. I am waiting to hear back from them and Emory before making my final decision on UCLA though -- I'm wishing you luck! Even if I do get offered a spot, I'll likely be turning it down, so hopefully that will up the chances for everyone else :)

To flesh out the UMD results: I was sent an email from UMD saying I'm first on the waitlist in Early Modern. I haven't yet put it on the results page, though.

Congrats to those UT Austin acceptances! Hope those emails keep coming... 

2 minutes ago, persynanōm said:

To flesh out the UMD results: I was sent an email from UMD saying I'm first on the waitlist in Early Modern. I haven't yet put it on the results page, though.

Congrats!! You're going to have a seriously difficult decision to make, that's for sure!

55 minutes ago, ProfLorax said:

Per a conversation with my advisor, I don't think decisions about cohort size have been finalized. So the first wave of acceptances and wait list notifications went out yesterday, but I don't think that will be the last round 

Do you know how long in between rounds? I'm relieved for those who have been notified but also definitely jealous!

16 minutes ago, DJS said:

Do you know how long in between rounds? I'm relieved for those who have been notified but also definitely jealous!

No idea! I'm not privy to those conversations. Sorry, and hold tight! If you don't hear by March, I suggest emailing Ralph or Manju; they usually are forthright with people's standings. Good luck! 

33 minutes ago, persynanōm said:

Let me know if you wanna talk about UMD! I have some friends in early modern (one just passed his exams; Amanda Bailey is his chair). Wyatt's Terps also works with early modern faculty here. 

2 hours ago, ProfLorax said:

Please let me know if you have any questions about the program! I'm happy to answer. We don't usually have deep wait-lists, so if you have already been contacted, that likely means you're pretty high on the list. 

ProfLorax knows better than I, but I can definitely affirm that this is true. At the day for admitted students last year, there was a wonderful young woman who attended, even though she was still on the Ph.D. waitlist. I talked with her (and another fellow) for a long while, and Ralph, the DGS, was kind of hovering around, quietly listening. After she left, I said to Ralph "Boy, xxx sounds amazing. I really hope she gets in off the waitlist." And she did! I'm certain I had nothing to do with it, but it goes to show that waitlisted folks can and do get in at UMD. There's hope, so be kind, friendly, and optimistic!

33 minutes ago, doubledogd said:

For the UMD admits/waitlisters: would it be accurate to say that Rhet/Comp and Early Modern are the two areas that have been notified thus far? I'm an American lit applicant trying to stave off anxiety. 

FWIW, I was waitlisted at UMD and I'm doing African American/poetry and poetics. 

@pbnwhey No, I unfortunately didn't. I was trying to juggle getting 10 schools down and it was getting difficult to balance school, teaching, and apps. I know UCSD definitely have a lot of great stuff coming out of their department. I had to make a cut, and knew I had to apply to UCSC and UCSB because their feminist studies programs are perfect for my interests. I'll cross my fingers for me and you!

On 2/4/2016 at 8:39 AM, ProfLorax said:

Let me know if you wanna talk about UMD! I have some friends in early modern (one just passed his exams; Amanda Bailey is his chair). Wyatt's Terps also works with early modern faculty here. 

Thanks very much! Yes, I was lucky enough to meet with Amanda Bailey when I visited last year. She is quite welcoming and a skilled pedagogue. I'll probably be asking you a few questions in the coming weeks, hopefully after I'm accepted off the waitlist! Thanks again. 

Do people have tips on what to ask/look for during recruitment visits? And is anyone here going to the Penn State comp lit recruitment weekend or visiting the U Michigan comp lit program soon? 

17 hours ago, genrescholar said:

I see that there are some University of Pittsburgh PhD acceptances up on the board. Anyone want to claim them? If so, would you mind clarifying if you're on the Film Studies track?

I'm wondering the same thing!  Thanks!

I got accepted in UCincinnati on Friday, with a very kind email! I know it's not really a 'high-class' program, but I'm beyond excited, because I'd already received 3 rejections and 2 implied rejections! So I was certain I'd be rejected at every single other school I applied to. Basically, I'm delighted to have gotten a fully funded offer anywhere! A huge heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! We did it.

2 hours ago, maenaew said:

I got accepted in UCincinnati on Friday, with a very kind email! I know it's not really a 'high-class' program, but I'm beyond excited, because I'd already received 3 rejections and 2 implied rejections!

We have a student in our program who got their MA at U Cincy and she's solid.  I regularly cite Stanley Corkin's work in my papers and just assigned one of his essays for a class I'm teaching.  Sounds like a plenty classy program to me!   There are people doing great work at programs that aren't "big name"!    Congratulations on the acceptance and good luck!

3 hours ago, maenaew said:

I got accepted in UCincinnati on Friday, with a very kind email! I know it's not really a 'high-class' program, but I'm beyond excited, because I'd already received 3 rejections and 2 implied rejections! So I was certain I'd be rejected at every single other school I applied to. Basically, I'm delighted to have gotten a fully funded offer anywhere! A huge heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! We did it.

I'm still beyond excited for you :D You're going to do friggin awesome no matter where you end up!

Congrats on everyone being accepted! I am currently having a huge headache from over-drinking at the Super Bowl party. I feel that the best thing to do is to sleep now. It has been a very quiet weekend. Getting ready for the mid February storm. I think it's time for all the UCs to send me rejections. Brace myself! Hope more ppl post in this thread tomorrow. 

Edited by WendyWonderland