2016 Acceptance Thread

To follow up on the waitlist thing: There are a lot of reasons that you are the "second option", but I think a lot of time it comes down to those incredible narrow slots that make up a cohort. The person who they took ahead of you may have clicked one extra box (had an extra voice in the room, had that one extra pub, came with a more developed diss idea, or met internal diversity needs) that you didn't. Maybe your program decided to take an older cohort initially, or a younger one, or one with more public school students, or any other consideration that made you a "back up". That doesn't mean you are a lesser candidate, but simply not the ideal candidate for the cohort they put together. It also doesn't mean you are the 13th choose for a 12 person cohort; you could be #2, but the #1 person matches all your interests/eras.

Also remember that whatever ranking you come in with goes out the door within the first semester. Maybe it will influence one year of funding/travel funds, but after that your work will stand for you.

I've also heard from five programs directly, and two from cohort mates, that have said that this was their smallest cohort admission in years. These are all from large R1 programs in states with Republican governors, fwiw.

58 minutes ago, bhr said:

To follow up on the waitlist thing: There are a lot of reasons that you are the "second option", but I think a lot of time it comes down to those incredible narrow slots that make up a cohort. The person who they took ahead of you may have clicked one extra box (had an extra voice in the room, had that one extra pub, came with a more developed diss idea, or met internal diversity needs) that you didn't. Maybe your program decided to take an older cohort initially, or a younger one, or one with more public school students, or any other consideration that made you a "back up". That doesn't mean you are a lesser candidate, but simply not the ideal candidate for the cohort they put together. It also doesn't mean you are the 13th choose for a 12 person cohort; you could be #2, but the #1 person matches all your interests/eras.

THIS. Thank you! Especially your last point (which, admittedly, took me a minute to understand lol)--that makes me feel way better. 

15 minutes ago, aGiRlCalLeDApPlE said:

Is there anyone here who's still waiting to hear from ANY school? I haven't heard from New Mexico and a friend told me that they told here they are not done yet?? Is it possible that until now they haven't decided yet?

Most of the schools have given out their decisions...There are few thats still keeping us hanging though...e.g: I, along with few others, stll didnt hear from Purdue...The best way out of your misery is emailing the DGS asking when you can receive an admission decision...Since this is the end of March, I think it is a reasonable move...

@Wyatt's Terps, @MeNotMe, @hello_kitty, @bhr -- THANK YOU! It's reassuring to be reminded of the arbitrariness involved in the admissions process.. and also that I'm not the only one going through such moments of self-doubt and soul-searching (the level of honesty and encouragement on this forum, by the way, is truly amazing!). My insecurities seem to have clouded what I thought was my better judgment. :P In any case, thank you for sounding the voice of reason in this more-trying-than-expected (!) season. Your posts have given me much needed resolve to stop trying to understand how adcoms work.. Good luck to us all!!

On 2016 මාර්තු 18 at 8:47 PM, ‘Cat'erburyTales said:

Great! Let me know what you hear from the DGS -  I’d find it really hard to believe that they would wait til April to contact us like they said in that email. My guess is probably waitlist too but either way it would be nice to know, right?

On 2016 මාර්තු 19 at 5:55 PM, Juneoh said:

I haven't heard from them either. I want to play the game of deciding, accepting, declining, and negotiating so bad like every other person on this forum. :( If you are in the same boat as I am, hang in there my friends.

Well, I wrote to the Purdue DGS and received no reply...This does not bode well coz during the application season they were very prompt with their replies..Guess the calamity that has befallen them is pretty serious...I dont know much about it though...however I dont think they should ignore their applicants like this - especially after getting us to pay a fee! People need some sort of closure...

Just received an acceptance letter (via email) to the Mst in English (650-1550) at Oxford! For others who are waiting to hear - I know someone mentioned it is expected to take through April - my last name starts with K. No scholarships or funding. I also submitted the application within an hour of the deadline, not early. Those are the only factors I can think of that might influence their order of notification.

On 3/22/2016 at 9:58 AM, ypink said:

@Wyatt's Terps, @MeNotMe, @hello_kitty, @bhr -- THANK YOU! It's reassuring to be reminded of the arbitrariness involved in the admissions process.. and also that I'm not the only one going through such moments of self-doubt and soul-searching (the level of honesty and encouragement on this forum, by the way, is truly amazing!). My insecurities seem to have clouded what I thought was my better judgment. :P In any case, thank you for sounding the voice of reason in this more-trying-than-expected (!) season. Your posts have given me much needed resolve to stop trying to understand how adcoms work.. Good luck to us all!!

One program went radio silent on me, then told me I was on the waitlist after I reached out. Two weeks later I was admitted with their top fellowship, so it's all a matter of timing, opportunity and money.

Also keep in mind that you are up against the same pool  again and again. The guy taking your spot at Michigan may be the same one at WUSTL and Penn State, so once he decides you will wind up with multiple options.

4 hours ago, hello_kitty said:

Well, I wrote to the Purdue DGS and received no reply...This does not bode well coz during the application season they were very prompt with their replies..Guess the calamity that has befallen them is pretty serious...I dont know much about it though...however I dont think they should ignore their applicants like this - especially after getting us to pay a fee! People need some sort of closure...

I feel like I've said this before on here (repeatedly), but Purdue does a "soft" waitlist, in that they take their cohort, and keep everyone else active until they fill all their slots officially. I can tell you they've notified MFA, English and R/C folks (about a month ago)

On 2016 මාර්තු 18 at 8:47 PM, ‘Cat'erburyTales said:

Great! Let me know what you hear from the DGS -  I’d find it really hard to believe that they would wait til April to contact us like they said in that email. My guess is probably waitlist too but either way it would be nice to know, right?

Hey Cat,erburyTales, got some good news! Did you apply to Purdue for Masters or Phd? They have notified the Phd applicants but they havent sent out any English Masters offers yet..They are having funding complications and they expect to send out the Masters acceptances by the end of the month..Got all this from the DGS...If you're an English Masters applicant theres still hope!

7 hours ago, hello_kitty said:

Hey Cat,erburyTales, got some good news! Did you apply to Purdue for Masters or Phd? They have notified the Phd applicants but they havent sent out any English Masters offers yet..They are having funding complications and they expect to send out the Masters acceptances by the end of the month..Got all this from the DGS...If you're an English Masters applicant theres still hope!

That’s great news! I applied for the MA so good to hear that we’ll hopefully have news by the end of the month then! Glad you called up the DGS :)

On 2016. 3. 22. at 10:45 AM, aGiRlCalLeDApPlE said:

Is there anyone here who's still waiting to hear from ANY school? I haven't heard from New Mexico and a friend told me that they told here they are not done yet?? Is it possible that until now they haven't decided yet?

I have so far got one acceptance, one MA recommendation, and four waitlists. And I haven't heard back from two schools. (These are going to be rejections I assume. But I emailed them anyways asking updates on my application) I guess not being able to give me the details/rankings on my application is not a good sign. BTW, has anybody heard any news on funding from MSU? I emailed the DGS three weeks ago and still no reply. I hope everyone on this forum gets some good news by the dreadful April 15th!

Edited by Juneoh

3 minutes ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Claiming the ASU acceptance!!

:D 

OMG- congrats! I know I haven't talked to you at all, but I've been following your posts and was really hoping you'd get in! Congratulations again!! 

1 hour ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Aaaah! So happy for you, BooksCoffeeBeards! Like @mk-8, I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you all this time. I've heard some really good things about ASU...and if you happen to love sunshine or golf, it should be paradise for you. Congrats!

7 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Aaaah! So happy for you, BooksCoffeeBeards! Like @mk-8, I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you all this time. I've heard some really good things about ASU...and if you happen to love sunshine or golf, it should be paradise for you. Congrats!

Thank you! (and you as well, @mk-8!) I think the sunshine will do me fine, after 31 years in Michigan (well, and 2 in Ohio for my MA).

5 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Congratulations! I too have followed your posts with interest and was really happy to hear you got in...Gives me hope that the waitlist could work out...

5 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Best news! Many congrats. You've earned this! Do you like baseball? You'll be so close to the Cactus League! 

8 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Thank you! (and you as well, @mk-8!) I think the sunshine will do me fine, after 31 years in Michigan (well, and 2 in Ohio for my MA).

Mazel Tov! I'm flying from Michigan to Tempe for a conference in May, and can't wait to see the sun for more than three hours a day.

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard from UCF Texts and Technology program about funding? I am eager to find out -- even if I wasn't awarded it. Do programs typically let admits know about funding even if they did not receive it? I've emailed assistant program director twice but I haven't gotten any response.