2016 Acceptance Thread

Congrats on Vanderbilt, @haltheincandescent ! I've got an app in there as well, but haven't heard anything one way or the other. Same goes for Northwestern, from which folks were also getting calls yesterday apparently. If Duke hadn't gotten back to me yesterday, I dunno if I could have survived the weekend kicking off with what seems like two "soft rejections".... :wacko:

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

I got my own acceptance call from Duke today!

Congrats! That has to be gratifying. Who'd your interview end up being with, if you don't mind my asking? When I sent in my own Lit app (I applied to both Eng and Lit), I was terrified at the prospect of having to talk to Jameson. I kept thinking it'd be like that scene in Annie Hall, and he'd just blurt out, "YOU KNOW NOTHING OF MY WORK!" 

Did they mention anything about the visiting weekend to you yet? 

23 minutes ago, solomonski said:

Congrats! That has to be gratifying. Who'd your interview end up being with, if you don't mind my asking? When I sent in my own Lit app (I applied to both Eng and Lit), I was terrified at the prospect of having to talk to Jameson. I kept thinking it'd be like that scene in Annie Hall, and he'd just blurt out, "YOU KNOW NOTHING OF MY WORK!" 

Did they mention anything about the visiting weekend to you yet? 

The interview was with: Katherine Hayles, Mark Hansen (the DGS), Toril Moi, Antonio Viego, and Robyn Wiegman (aka the whole adcomm). Jameson was supposed to be there as well, but didn't end up being present. I was terrified of talking to both him and Hayles, as I had cited both in my writing sample (arguing pretty much directly against Hayles at one point)--but she, at least, ended up being super nice, so not as scary as I was thinking. Still nervous to meet Jameson if I do in fact end up there, though!

And, yeah, Prof. Hansen, who called me, said something about it--but I was too excited to actually catch the date, haha, so, I'm still waiting for the official email to figure out when it exactly is.

Hrmmmm, I didn't get a phone call at all (yet), just an official email (including funding offer), but there's no mention of the visiting weekend in it! Ah well, they mentioned having one during my interview (although not the date), so I'm sure we'll both hear soon enough. 

19 hours ago, chloeolivia said:

Hello! I've been lurking for a while, but think it's only fair to claim my posts on the results page. I was waitlisted by Duke Lit yesterday after interviewing (one of the most terrifying experiences of my life) on Wednesday. I was also accepted by USC. Still waiting to hear from 10 other programs!

@chloeolivia Hello! I too was a lurker until I saw the light, and I too was accepted to USC (to claim the other post on the results page). Are you planning to visit the campus at the end of February? Perhaps I'll see you there!

I was accepted to the Literary Studies program at UW-Madison. Looks like four others were as well. Would love to chat with you and hear what you're thinking about the program!

3 hours ago, twvancamp said:

I was accepted to the Literary Studies program at UW-Madison. Looks like four others were as well. Would love to chat with you and hear what you're thinking about the program!

Hi! I think it seems like a very strong department. I'm especially interested in the overlap of performance studies and rhetoric with critical and literary theory, so I am pretty attracted to them (they have a performance scholar as well as some really cool rhetorical theorists). Will you be taking advantage of their stipend to travel to campus in March? I know I will be: beer cheese soup is enough of a reason. :D

@persynanōm I've heard good things about the department and it seems like they are committed to interdisciplinary work. There are a lot of folks inside and outside of the English dept. that I would be excited to work with. I am certainly planning to travel to Madison in March.

Congrats on your other acceptance. I applied to UCI for English but haven't heard anything yet. 

2 minutes ago, twvancamp said:

@persynanōm I've heard good things about the department and it seems like they are committed to interdisciplinary work. There are a lot of folks inside and outside of the English dept. that I would be excited to work with. I am certainly planning to travel to Madison in March.

Congrats on your other acceptance. I applied to UCI for English but haven't heard anything yet. 

Exciting! Well, I'll look for you there! I too applied to UCI and haven't heard anything, except for that string of rejections a while back. I guess that only bodes well for those of us who haven't heard, but I am still on pins and needles.

16 minutes ago, chloeolivia said:

@persynanōm Yes, I'm planning to attend the open house. Very excited!

@chloeolivia Very cool! We'll all be friends in no time. I'm also really looking forward to USC's tour. Their departmental structure is pretty unique, so I'm curious, and I can't see another department beating their funding offer. 

Best of luck to you both on hearing back on the rest of your applications! I'm sure this week will be a rollercoaster for most of us. Hang in there! 

Congratulations to whoever posted the acceptance to University of Illinois at Chicago. As I just graduated from there last May, I could spill the details of the department for whoever is interested. PM me or,  if you have a simple question, perhaps just respond here. 

So begins a most likely fraught week...! According to UCI, whom I corresponded with about two weeks ago, they are expecting to have decisions out this week. :ph34r:

Edited by persynanōm
Additional information added.

3 hours ago, persynanōm said:

Congratulations to whoever posted the acceptance to University of Illinois at Chicago.

That was me! I'm not sure what questions I have beyond the typical ones, but I'd love to hear your overall thoughts on the place!

Hey! UChicago: yes! Ohmygosh.

I have absolutely no idea what to say--as you can see from my signature, and the number of places to which I applied, I had some confidence issues about getting accepted at all and.....I just don't even know. This is crazy. 

@haltheincandescent I just received an acceptance from UChicago too! *high five* Maybe see you at prospective student day.

I really can't believe I can sit back a little bit now. I've been a piano wire for months!

And congrats to all the admits that are popping up on the board!