Fall 2016 CANADIAN clinical psych applicants

Generic_Applicant

Anyone have any idea how long of a waitlist most schools have? For example, being "far down on the waitlist"- is that like there's 5 people ahead of me? 10? 20?

Not really getting my hopes up, but just for the sake of knowing, haha.

Got my very first official (expected) rejection today from UOttawa.   Fortunately I got my first unofficial acceptance from a master's program a few days before that, so I'm still pretty happy!  Au revoir, USA!

29 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

Got my very first official (expected) rejection today from UOttawa.   Fortunately I got my first unofficial acceptance from a master's program a few days before that, so I'm still pretty happy!  Au revoir, USA!

And hello to the possibility of 50cm of snow in a single day! :P 

Congrats!

4 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

And hello to the possibility of 50cm of snow in a single day! :P 

Congrats!

Uh-oh.  Now it's *really* time to deal with that whole metric/imperial system problem I have.  It's logical but has no meaning for me.  You say 50cm and I have to look up how much that is!  

Snow>>>>>horrible heat and humidity.  I've done both and much prefer snow.  Best of luck with Saskatchewan!!

4 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

Nice! Where did you get in??

26 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Yeah so, I'm just going to assume rejection from Saskatchewan by now. 

Just got this automatic reply from an email- don't give up hope yet!

I am away from the office returning March 15.

If you are inquiring about your application, the search committee is currently reviewing applications and will meet the beginning of March to make their first round offers.  You should recieve a letter around March 18 with a decision.

6 minutes ago, jackiexls said:

Just got this automatic reply from an email- don't give up hope yet!

I am away from the office returning March 15.

If you are inquiring about your application, the search committee is currently reviewing applications and will meet the beginning of March to make their first round offers.  You should recieve a letter around March 18 with a decision.

I'm surprised you received a response! I emailed both Joni and my POI and heard nothing back. 

Still, I figure if I haven't had an interview yet, my chances don't look good. 

19 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I'm surprised you received a response! I emailed both Joni and my POI and heard nothing back. 

Still, I figure if I haven't had an interview yet, my chances don't look good. 

Haha, yeah I think Joni is on vacation so I managed to luck out by getting the automatic reply. I haven't heard from any of my POIs either, except from Jodren Cummings saying that she's not taking a student this year.

But no, that's fair. I haven't heard a thing though, and it kind of seems like most people haven't, so maybe Saskatchewan is just way behind on everything or something. I wouldn't keep your hopes up but I wouldn't give up all hope yet, haha.

I hate this limbo stage- applying to schools is just about the worst anxiety ever, lol.

1 hour ago, jackiexls said:

I hate this limbo stage- applying to schools is just about the worst anxiety ever, lol.

It really is.  And for a while there, I was assuaging my anxiety by reading all the posts on TGC, but even that seems to be drying up now.   Good luck to all still waiting!

On February 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM, asa.pearl said:

Hi guys! Congrats to everyone getting acceptances. I was wondering if anyone knows how the process at Ryerson works for profs who were not allowed to take an initial student. I was informed by the program coordinator that I was a prof's top choice but that prof wasn't allowed to take a student in the first round. 

So how does this work now? If a student who was made an offer for a lab and declines it, will that lab get to go to their second choice applicant? Or will another prof who initially wasn't allowed to make an offer now get to make one?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hey

That happened to me in 2012. I had emailed the prof indicating that I was really interested in coming, and then somehow all of a sudden got an offer.... I generally find Ryerson's process quite shady, and from what I've heard from others they seem to jerk a lot of people around. I was declined, then interviewed, then declined again, then made an offer, and then i decided to decline them... 

On February 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM, makmak said:

Hi folks! 

I need advice! Can anyone give me some pros and cons to these 2 programs?: 

The University of Windsor Child Clinical Track 

OISE Counselling and Clinical Psychology 

I have my own pros and cons but don't want to list them because I want some fresh ideas for you guys :) I'm just confused about OISE's program because I'm not sure how much of an emphasis is put on the counselling aspect and therefore compensating for the clinical work and training. I'm also concerned about how limiting the child stream is at Windsor and if this will restrict any future work with adolescents or adults? 

Please - any thoughts are much appreciated!! I'm not sure how else I can ask for their opinion! 

Thanks :D Congratulations to all who have heard back and goodluck to those still waiting! 

Hey

I don't know much about OISE, but I can speak to the Windsor program. The child track takes almost the exact same courses as the adult track, with the exception of adult assessment, and the mandatory 8 month therapy placement at the on campus clinic. Child students take more classes overall than the adult students, so we also take developmental psychopathology, advanced research methods and developmental theory, survey of child therapies, child assessment, and child/adolescent therapy. There are students in the child program with an interest in adolescents/emerging adults specifically, and they just tend to opt for some child practicum placements and some adult ones as opposed to doing all child placements. - if you have any other questions let me know :)