Order of Sending in Materials?

JackieW

All right. Yet another question!

So, while I haven't completed my applications yet, I do want to start getting my transcripts and whatnot in--- is it okay to send supplemental materials (GRE scores, transcripts, etc) prior to the actual application? I know grad schools lose things all the time anyway, but I just want to make sure I won't be wasting my money.

I worked in a university office during my undergrad years and know that things can definitely go awry in the app process. I am not sending anything ahead of my main application. That said, odds are in your favor nothing will go wrong. I'm not chancing it tho.

I sent transcripts and GRE scores long before I submitted my any of apps and everything was matched correctly. Usually there shouldn't be any problem - when your first credential arrives the grad school will open a file in your name, and then everything new should be updated there. Of course things can get lost, but that also can happen after you submit your formal application. The same thing could be lost more than one time... it's happened before. Personally I think the chances of something getting lost increase the closer it is to the deadline, because the flow of materials increases exponentially towards that date. I would say, you don't necessarily have to wait, but do make sure that you send everything in one package, to the extent that it's possible. That'll decrease the chance of things getting lost.

Yes everyone at the schools I have talked to said that anytime they receive anything they start a folder and put evevrything in it until the application is complete, so it didn't matter what order you sent it in. Saying that though, I still filled out my application first, as most of the other items could be send electronically with the application.

I soon as I opened my applications online, I started sending things in. The 'applyyourself' web app usually asks for name/SSN/other names (in my case, this is important because they'll be getting transcripts in my maiden name). The school then has your info (if you allow them to see it), even if you don't yet submit your final app. I'm hoping because they have all my contact info electronically, it'll make it even easier to match my documents, though I won't be submitting the final app until closer to the deadline. By then, I hope all my supplemental materials will have arrived.

I soon as I opened my applications online, I started sending things in. The 'applyyourself' web app usually asks for name/SSN/other names (in my case, this is important because they'll be getting transcripts in my maiden name). The school then has your info (if you allow them to see it), even if you don't yet submit your final app. I'm hoping because they have all my contact info electronically, it'll make it even easier to match my documents, though I won't be submitting the final app until closer to the deadline. By then, I hope all my supplemental materials will have arrived.

This exactly.

I had a similar question, because I won't be done with my applications until its right down to the wire. My first deadline is December 1, and I've got classes and things still going on--so I just know there is no way I'm getting my application done early.

With that said, I'm not concerned about sending my transcripts or GRE scores early, since people mentioned that they just start a file. My concern is with my letters of recommendation. All my recommenders are ready to go and I'd like to just let them do it now and get it off their plates---but since it's not like an official score report, an official transcript, etc, I'm a little concerned. Will they still "open a file" for me if all they recieve now is a letter or two, with online app, GRE scores and transcript forthcoming later?

The main school I am applying to does the online app, SOP and LORs and I am supposed to gather the rest (transcripts, gre scores?) and submit it all together. I might end up handing it in person. I havent checked the process for my backup school.

I took the GRE more than just a few months ago. Now I emailed one of the schools I originally selected as a recipient, and the response was that when I submit an application, they'll access the data. Basically, it looks like it's ok to have whatever you want, sent whenever you want.

Edited by profound_g