Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

35 minutes ago, redhillgirl said:

Thanks!  I'll decline tho, washington is the least fit on my list. Didnt know how i got in in the first place. 

@redhillgirl    Hi, Which school is on the top of your list? Mind sharing research interests? Or just PM me is fine:)  Your list really looks like a combination of very quantitative ones and very qualitative ones.

Edited by goofylemon

At this point, I am really anxious about the decision from Penn and Yale. I have already withdrawn three schools I will definitely not commit anyway, with the offers from UCLA, UW and Brown coming (see my signature). Both Penn and Yale will not notify until the very middle of Feb, so I think I will be really shut up for a while.

While most people are looking for Princeton, I don't know why - but I am really not that excited. Perhaps I really don't care. It is probably the most difficult program to get into, but it is not on top of my list anyway. Unfortunately admission difficulty really does not match my interests level. For those programs remain on my accepted list (I will keep it <5 to save my money), I will visit each of them, and make my final decision. I will then looking for GradCafe cohort because it seems we dominate many of the programs hahaha :) 

Edited by goofylemon

@goofylemon you mentioned that some departments have reputations for being on the qualitative side and some as heavily quantitative. Would you mind sharing which are which? I'm applying to a few programs this year and I can kind of gauge where most of the department is by looking at faculty interests but it'd be great to know more. 

I've been lurking on this forum for the past week or so. I was cool as a cucumber about the whole application process... until I discovered the grad cafe. I'm now checking the fora and the results page several times a day anxiously awaiting results, yikes. :) Good luck everyone! 

46 minutes ago, ConsciousSteph said:

Hey @goofylemon was it you that just posted the Brown acceptance on the results page?

Yep. I post Brown with my UW, as everyone knows me in this thread may guess it's me posting, but I really got my GRE/GPA wrong in the Brown posting :( 

4 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Yep. I post Brown with my UW, as everyone knows me in this thread may guess it's me posting, but I really got my GRE/GPA wrong in the Brown posting :( 

What do you mean by "I really got my GRE/GPA wrong in the Brown posting"? How do you see more details of each result posting? Such as GRE and GPA of the person? Or can you even do that?

43 minutes ago, pi515 said:

@goofylemon you mentioned that some departments have reputations for being on the qualitative side and some as heavily quantitative. Would you mind sharing which are which? I'm applying to a few programs this year and I can kind of gauge where most of the department is by looking at faculty interests but it'd be great to know more. 

I've been lurking on this forum for the past week or so. I was cool as a cucumber about the whole application process... until I discovered the grad cafe. I'm now checking the fora and the results page several times a day anxiously awaiting results, yikes. :) Good luck everyone! 

Well... It really depends on the field and the way you looked at it. To name a few, UNC, Penn State, UW, UT, Duke, Penn (with a few exceptions), Ohio State, Cornell, UM (with a few exceptions), Wisconsin (with a few exceptions). are very quantitative-leaning programs. There are actually very few top programs that solely do qualitative stuff. What I really mean by qualitative programs are those programs with a better balance of quantitative and qualitative works. Some of the examples are Harvard, Yale, Northwestern , Brown, Berkeley and maybe UChi.  This is just a rough division, and it can be inaccurate, but hopefully it gives you a feel about how it looked like. As a general rule, top-ranked public university soc programs are much more likely to be quantitative-focused.

However, keep in mind that these trends may well likely to change in the next following years. For example, I can feel Penn State is hiring faculties with more qualitative works. Yale, on the opposite, is hiring social stratification faculties, who must have done some quantitative works. I feel like programs do not actually like the label that they are too quantitative/qualitative. Either way. Remember also, MMR (mixed-methods research) has become popular in sociology (though it's much later than I expected).

Edited by goofylemon

2 minutes ago, ConsciousSteph said:

What do you mean by "I really got my GRE/GPA wrong in the Brown posting"? How do you see more details of each result posting? Such as GRE and GPA of the person? Or can you even do that?

There is a red little crystal dot beside many of the postings. You can see their GPA/GRE by moving your mouse there.

5 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

There is a red little crystal dot beside many of the postings. You can see their GPA/GRE by moving your mouse there.

Yes, and if you're on mobile, you have to actually click the little diamond/crystal dot.

Congrats to @redhillgirl!

And if I didn't congratulate you on your recent acceptances, goofy, then congratulations to you as well! There has been so much good news, it's hard to keep track.

*hugs @HopefulSocPhD* Still have five more to go ... still, I understand you must feel pretty devastated now. I have a huge inkling that you're gonna land exactly where you belong though. These rejections will just make future victories sweeter!!! *bakes you the biggest cake you've EVER seen* And, in case you're doubting yourself (I was after my first rejection), you are a STELLAR candidate!

32 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Well... It really depends on the field and the way you looked at it. To name a few, UNC, Penn State, UW, UT, Duke, Penn (with a few exceptions), Ohio State, Cornell, UM (with a few exceptions), Wisconsin (with a few exceptions). are very quantitative-leaning programs. There are actually very few top programs that solely do qualitative stuff. What I really mean by qualitative programs are those programs with a better balance of quantitative and qualitative works. Some of the examples are Harvard, Yale, Northwestern , Brown, Berkeley and maybe UChi.  This is just a rough division, and it can be inaccurate, but hopefully it gives you a feel about how it looked like. As a general rule, top-ranked public university soc programs are much more likely to be quantitative-focused.

However, keep in mind that these trends may well likely to change in the next following years. For example, I can feel Penn State is hiring faculties with more qualitative works. Yale, on the opposite, is hiring social stratification faculties, who must have done some quantitative works. I feel like programs do not actually like the label that they are too quantitative/qualitative. Either way. Remember also, MMR (mixed-methods research) has become popular in sociology (though it's much later than I expected).

Thank you for the info @goofylemon I did a master's at Yale, though not in Sociology, and met several PhD Sociology students there, all of whom were doing ethnographic research for their dissertations so it does seem Yale is a great place to do qualitative research (same for Poli Sci). 

2 hours ago, goofylemon said:

Thank you so much for this. I have been confused for months trying to figure out how to find out that information and have been personally messaging people who post in the forums. Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! :)

7 hours ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Email to check UCLA's website came in the middle of the night. At this point I'm not surprised; it was a rejection. :(

I haven't received anything so far but since they started the notifications for rejection, I guess I should also assume that next week rejection is coming for me too... I share your sadness and wish you good luck for the rest of your applications!

3 minutes ago, sts4656 said:

I haven't received anything so far but since they started the notifications for rejection, I guess I should also assume that next week rejection is coming for me too... I share your sadness and wish you good luck for the rest of your applications!

why is UCLA so slow with their acceptance and rejection? I don't get why they wouldn't just send all rejections out together... hmm

Just now, spicytunaroll said:

why is UCLA so slow with their acceptance and rejection? I don't get why they wouldn't just send all rejections out together... hmm

I don't understand too.. We submitted our applications almost two months ago and still no news...

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on here after lurking here for weeks so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm applying for PhD programs in Sociology. I applied to Ohio State University, University of North Carolina, University of Maryland, Indiana University, SUNY Albany, and Bowling Green State University. I'm really interested in Social Psychology, Family, Life Course, and Identity. My undergrad GPA is a 3.59, but my major GPA is a 3.97 (I thought I wanted to go to nursing school so I've got some really hard science classes bringing me down a little bit). GRE scores were a 159 V, 161 Q, and 4.5 AW.

Onto the good news...I can claim one of the acceptances into University of Maryland! Got an e-mail from them a little while ago with a link to the official letter. I'm so excited!

Looking forward to chatting with you guys a bit as we wait for our other schools to get back to us. Good luck to everybody and congratulations to everybody that's already been accepted too!

It could be that UCLA are doing some sort of unofficial waitlist, and that's why they haven't sent out all rejections? They've definitely done two-wave rejections in the past, so it could be that they are keeping some people on reserve.

Does anyone claim that Stanford waitlist, by the way?

1 hour ago, JTM61 said:

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on here after lurking here for weeks so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm applying for PhD programs in Sociology. I applied to Ohio State University, University of North Carolina, University of Maryland, Indiana University, SUNY Albany, and Bowling Green State University. I'm really interested in Social Psychology, Family, Life Course, and Identity. My undergrad GPA is a 3.59, but my major GPA is a 3.97 (I thought I wanted to go to nursing school so I've got some really hard science classes bringing me down a little bit). GRE scores were a 159 V, 161 Q, and 4.5 AW.

Onto the good news...I can claim one of the acceptances into University of Maryland! Got an e-mail from them a little while ago with a link to the official letter. I'm so excited!

Looking forward to chatting with you guys a bit as we wait for our other schools to get back to us. Good luck to everybody and congratulations to everybody that's already been accepted too!

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS!! *throws confetti for you*

And congratulations to all the other Maryland admits! Saturday acceptances ftw! 

8 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Wow congrats to all the PSU interviews!! Awesome Saturday evening! 

Seems like they want a quick turnaround, but on the bright side it gives us almost no time to get nervous :) 

Edited by Katastrophe
clarity

10 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Seems like they want a quick turnaround, but on the bright side it gives us almost no time to get nervous :) 

Yeah I got my Rutgers phone interview notification Thursday, and I had my interview Friday! I was glad for that because I didn't have as much time to overthink it/get too nervous. 

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Yeah I got my Rutgers phone interview notification Thursday, and I had my interview Friday! I was glad for that because I didn't have as much time to overthink it/get too nervous. 

She also said it would take 15 minutes or less, so that's easing the nerves too :)