Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

2 hours ago, Katastrophe said:

A while back I made a made a chart with the schools I applied to noting their first recorded date of acceptances in the past three seasons (2015, 2014, 2013). Of those it looks like we are in the ball park for these:

Washington  21-Jan, 25-Jan, 18-Jan

Princeton   26-Jan, 29-Jan, 1-Feb

Berkeley     28-Jan, 31-Jan, 31-Jan

Penn State   30-Jan, 1-Feb, 25-Jan

Can't speak to anything else and it might be completely different this year, but it's a prediction right? :P The wait is driving me nuts!

Note: There is an acceptance in the results forum for Washington already though.

Thats wht im wondering...did they just send out that one single acceptance on 20th n nothing else in these 7 days? Seems a little off. Wish someone would claim that acceptance and fill us in.  Im expecting a rejection from washington for bad fit but "not knowing" is worse, really. 

18 minutes ago, mm3733 said:

And also (at least based on 2015):

Duke 1/28-30, 2/4, 2/15

Maryland 1/31, 2/18, 1/31

Vanderbilt 2/3, 2/21, 2/11

I can't wait to hear from Vandy...or any school for that matter. 

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here all through application season, but I thought I would join in on the conversation a bit as the wait intensifies. I have really appreciated all of the advice and discussion on this board (especially as someone with an undergraduate in Psychology, and not sociology). My interests are in Crime/Deviant Behavior and Inequality.

I will also claim one of the earlier admits from THE Ohio State University. I am ecstatic (the fit is great, on paper) and it is a huge weight lifted to have an acceptance under my belt. I hope that everyone else who is still waiting for their first gets to feel that relief soon!

50 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Someone just posted on the results board that their status for UT Austin still said "in review." Mine also still says this. I looked back at last years Accept/Reject thread and it looked like the website status for some people didn't get updated for quite a while. I emailed the grad coordinator earlier this week to check and haven't heard anything back; just no response at all. I would guess that those who were not notified from UT are probably rejected (myself included) and that the program forwarded files to the grad school to make the official rejections happen, including changing the status on the website. Obviously, this is just a guess, but I imagine there are quite a few of us who have not heard anything from UT yet. Official rejections from UT Austin didn't happen until Feb. 4th last year. 

b701776b877ab6e626870389bde5894a.jpg

My status on the website also says "in review" and I am wondering if it is a rejection or a wait list situation. My only hope for wait list is the fact that a few of the results on the board list a rejection based on the UT website. Based on the results from the last few years, it looks like there were some trickling admissions for UT following the first wave, so who knows! I am just hoping to hear either way so I can stop fretting (I am in the exact same boat with Minnesota as well)!

Edited by BoomSoon

Hi Everyone! Happy Wednesday. This is my first post. I've applied to several PhD programs so if anyone has any info to share that would be fantastic! I wish you all the best and I will be sure to provide any info and insight as it comes along.

Programs--

Brown University (Sociology, PhD)

Harvard University (Sociology & Social Policy, Joint PhD)

Yale University (Sociology & African American Studies, Combined PhD)

Boston College (Sociology, PhD)

Northeastern (Sociology, PhD)

Boston University (Sociology, PhD)

Brandeis University (Sociology, PhD)

University of Georgia (Sociology, PhD)

4 minutes ago, ConsciousSteph said:

Hi Everyone! Happy Wednesday. This is my first post. I've applied to several PhD programs so if anyone has any info to share that would be fantastic! I wish you all the best and I will be sure to provide any info and insight as it comes along.

Programs--

Brown University (Sociology, PhD)

Harvard University (Sociology & Social Policy, Joint PhD)

Yale University (Sociology & African American Studies, Combined PhD)

Boston College (Sociology, PhD)

Northeastern (Sociology, PhD)

Boston University (Sociology, PhD)

Brandeis University (Sociology, PhD)

University of Georgia (Sociology, PhD)

Brandeis buddy! <3 

In the past few years, Brandeis has sent out acceptances in early February. (like around the 7th to 10th range)

Best of luck to you and welcome!! 

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Brandeis buddy! <3 

In the past few years, Brandeis has sent out acceptances in early February. (like around the 7th to 10th range)

Best of luck to you and welcome!! 

I appreciate the well wishes and the information! Best of luck to you as well and thank you for the warm welcome!

24 minutes ago, BoomSoon said:

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here all through application season, but I thought I would join in on the conversation a bit as the wait intensifies. I have really appreciated all of the advice and discussion on this board (especially as someone with an undergraduate in Psychology, and not sociology). My interests are in Crime/Deviant Behavior and Inequality.

I will also claim one of the earlier admits from THE Ohio State University. I am ecstatic (the fit is great, on paper) and it is a huge weight lifted to have an acceptance under my belt. I hope that everyone else who is still waiting for their first gets to feel that relief soon!

My status on the website also says "in review" and I am wondering if it is a rejection or a wait list situation. My only hope for wait list is the fact that a few of the results on the board list a rejection based on the UT website. Based on the results from the last few years, it looks like there were some trickling admissions for UT following the first wave, so who knows! I am just hoping to hear either way so I can stop fretting (I am in the exact same boat with Minnesota as well)!

My motto for the next month is no news isn't bad news. That's pretty much all we can be certain of in a miserable limbo state. 

32 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

I can't wait to hear from Vandy...or any school for that matter. 

Hi Shay! Looks like we applied to some of the same schools (Harvard, Brown, BC, BU, Northeastern) which is pretty cool. It would be great to keep each other in the loop if we hear anything. Wishing you the best, I'm sure you'll have your choice of any. :)

Edited by ConsciousSteph

32 minutes ago, flatnwhite said:

source: report board
method: conditions first on week number in February (1-4), not week number in year 1-52), then on day of week (su-sa)
key: yyyy = year decision was posted, blue = yale, purple = northwestern
limitation: perhaps calendar week ought to have been used? or perhaps the exact dates? also, not double checked! but, if not too sloppy, then i think this does a good job at positioning the dates conditional on february, which could be good if departments are more likely to say internal reviews completed "no later than third friday of february" than "no later than 10th calendar week"

decisions.jpg

I heard from Northwestern that decisions will be out at the end of February or even the beginning of March. 

On 1/26/2016 at 1:06 PM, gingin6789 said:

*huuuuuggggssssss* I care!!! I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to/shoulder to cry on. *makes you your favorite kind of tea/coffee*

Let us know if there's anything we can do. This season isn't over! 

*vanishes, for now, to take care of school stuff*

Thanks gingin! You are so sweet ****hugs**** I believe you will hear positive news from UC Davis

1 hour ago, Katastrophe said:

I'm not sure why, but today feels more intense than yesterday :wacko:

Ohio State buddy! You have been admitted to OSU, UT (!!) and Minnesota. This is really an impressive record at this point of the application. This result should really make feel less intense compared to most of the other folks on this board :) ~

That Washington admit also made me nervous... I noticed today (while creeping on the dept website) that the details of the 2016 recruitment weekend have recently been posted in full. Makes me think admits have either already gone out or will go out very soon. Although, in past years there have been at least 5-6 people posting on the results forum, so they can't all have right??! ...right!?!

44 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Ohio State buddy! You have been admitted to OSU, UT (!!) and Minnesota. This is really an impressive record at this point of the application. This result should really make feel less intense compared to most of the other folks on this board :) ~

Ahh! Are you going to the OSU visit? Haha I feel very grateful to be in somewhere, but that somehow doesn't keep my stomach from clenching every time I see an email notification!

Today has been very slow so far! Too slow :ph34r:

I got an email from the DGS of one school asking me if I intend to submit a personal statement with my application...:huh: Told me to feel free to email it.

Turned out they just temporarily misplaced my personal statement. Received an email from the coordinator saying she found it half an hour later. 

I slept through both emails so I mercifully did not have to hyperventilate for half an hour.

At this point, I don't even know if I should be happy they are still considering my application this late in the game or be a bit indignant they think I'm scatter minded enough to not send in one of the most important pieces of information that I have to personally write and submit online.

Life! 

8 minutes ago, KimchiRamen said:

I got an email from the DGS of one school asking me if I intend to submit a personal statement with my application...:huh: Told me to feel free to email it.

Turned out they just temporarily misplaced my personal statement. Received an email from the coordinator saying she found it half an hour later. 

I slept through both emails so I mercifully did not have to hyperventilate for half an hour.

At this point, I don't even know if I should be happy they are still considering my application this late in the game or be a bit indignant they think I'm scatter minded enough to not send in one of the most important pieces of information that I have to personally write and submit online.

Life! 

That same thing happened to me!!! Except it was for a writing sample. They admitted that their system was backed up though. Still haven't heard from them......

But....is it late in the game?Nervous about not hearing anything other than one rejection. 

P.S. - Your username is priming me to eat ramen for dinner tonight, on top of the dinner I already ate. 

11 minutes ago, KimchiRamen said:

Life! 

Wisconsin emailed me about my personal statement 6 times and they all went into my spam box. The 7th time it went into my normal email and I got it all squared away. I haven't really worried about it since, but I was pretty pissed initially.

37 minutes ago, bluefoxblue said:

That same thing happened to me!!! Except it was for a writing sample. They admitted that their system was backed up though. Still haven't heard from them......

But....is it late in the game?Nervous about not hearing anything other than one rejection. 

P.S. - Your username is priming me to eat ramen for dinner tonight, on top of the dinner I already ate. 

Well, I thought I might be hearing from them soon, within a week or so, judging by their past notifications. Oh well! At least they're still considering my application. And yup! My username tends to have that effect on people. You can always have a stomach for ramen. 

Edit: Sorry bluefoxblue! I read your message wrong and thought you meant you're nervous about just Wisconsin because of the writing sample mix-up. It is still early in the game in general so you still have time before you hear from your programs, I'm sure. Go eat some ramen and have a good rest! Tomorrow is another day! :)

35 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

Wisconsin emailed me about my personal statement 6 times and they all went into my spam box. The 7th time it went into my normal email and I got it all squared away. I haven't really worried about it since, but I was pretty pissed initially.

Wow! That's crazy. Glad that it was settled but it would have sucked if everything went into your spam box. Close call. Now I think I'm going to go check my spam box. 

Edited by KimchiRamen

20 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

*Furiously checks spam folder*

28 minutes ago, fall2016applicant said:

Something similar happened to me with Wisconsin too! They couldn't match my GRE score because there was a dot after my middle initial on the application, but the whole thing spelt out in the gre report or something. Anyway, it languished in my spam for about a month before I noticed. Whoops.

19 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

Something similar happened to me with Wisconsin too! They couldn't match my GRE score because there was a dot after my middle initial on the application, but the whole thing spelt out in the gre report or something. Anyway, it languished in my spam for about a month before I noticed. Whoops.

Same here - happens to every single school i apply to cos part of my legal name (im asian) was not spelt out on the gre report. But some schs just didnt bother to ask me about that and when i asked they simply sent me automated emails saying the scores shd be sent to code xxxx....not really helping. I managed to set it right for most schs but to this date i still dunno if my app to duke was even complete :/