YALE MFA 2016

MovingTarget22

This is an open forum for 2016 applicants to share their work, discuss concerns or ask questions about this year's application process. Feel free to exchange websites or critical dialogue if necessary. Best of luck to all! 

Edited by MovingTarget22

Damn...You're applying to the two most selective MFA programs in the game! My Yale application was acting strange, not sure what's going on with their system, wasn't able to actually submit my application last night. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from admission regarding the issue, so who knows. Yale wasn't my first choice, so I'm not bothered by it. Best of luck to you also!!! 

2 hours ago, MovingTarget22 said:

This is an open forum for 2016 applicants to share their work, discuss concerns or ask questions about this year's application process. Feel free to exchange websites or critical dialogue if necessary. Best of luck to all! 

I submitted my application on Sunday so I missed all the technical problems. 

I noticed the clock on the admission site was still going so I thought maybe they'd extended the deadline....but it seems to be counting up...not down. :( 

I'm still waiting for my last reference to submit--I've reminded her a few times...don't know what to do now. :/

Edited by cpw0021

When I got to that final submit screen, they asked again if you wanted to upload your CV and statement. "I gave you that already," I thought, "but whatever, I want to be absolutely sure you have it." So I uploaded them again, looked at the final proof, saw they were in there twice, and could find no way to delete the extras. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I submitted my application on Sunday so I missed all the technical problems. 

I noticed the clock on the admission site was still going so I thought maybe they'd extended the deadline....but it seems to be counting up...not down. :( 

I'm still waiting for my last reference to submit--I've reminded her a few times...don't know what to do now. :/

Yeah, likewise, submitted over the weekend and I'm glad I did. I'm so sorry about your reference--how frustrating. Keep dunning her tactfully, and hopefully if she gets it in this week it won't be an issue.

Edited by Relm

Is there anyone who still is on awaiting status for the Toefl score report?

I received an e-mail from the director of academic affair like a week ago saying that they are checking the score report manually,

but it still is on the awaiting status and it kinda worries me. 

On 2016. 1. 14. at 10:32 AM, Plural said:

Is there anyone who still is on awaiting status for the Toefl score report?

I received an e-mail from the director of academic affair like a week ago saying that they are checking the score report manually,

but it still is on the awaiting status and it kinda worries me. 

My status is also on awating now. But I think it is not a serious problem. 

If you have toefl score and your portfolio is good enough, late toefl reporting doesn't matter I think.

Edited by JW

On January 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, MovingTarget22 said:

No Later than the 31st, Guaranteed. Brace yourself.

PAINTING (MFA)

Was the submission deadline a week later than usual this year?  If so, is it possible that we will receive replies a week later?

3 hours ago, paint_and_destroy said:

Was the submission deadline a week later than usual this year?  If so, is it possible that we will receive replies a week later?

Last year's deadline was Jan 7 2015.  Yep I'm getting a little obsessive its sad that I knew that.

Tell me I am not the only person checking their app status every day? I definitely need to chill but its so close! 

By the way, the app status we will need to check is just in the application link, correct?  The status which currently reads "submitted"?

1 minute ago, Alment said:

checking last years forum also leads me to believe it will be updated at 11:00 on one of the last days of this month, which I'm guessing is Friday. . . :unsure:

I feel like this week is going by incredibly slow. It's grueling. Then again, I'm kind of afraid for Friday now.... >_>

1 minute ago, paint_and_destroy said:

Does anyone fear having to tell their recommenders that they didn't make it in?  I went on a bit of a limb, and asked people that are professionally connected to me to write on my behalf.  Kind of worried to loose face.

Nah. Don't worry about it. They're professionals. They know what it's like and how arbitrary art school admissions can be. I'd bet they're more interested in celebrating your successes, because those make them look good too (:

7 minutes ago, paint_and_destroy said:

Does anyone fear having to tell their recommenders that they didn't make it in?  I went on a bit of a limb, and asked people that are professionally connected to me to write on my behalf.  Kind of worried to loose face.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it--I'm sure your recommenders know that it's tough to get into grad school, especially programs like Yale.

Also, I found out one of my mentors and recommenders (who went to Columbia and is super smart) applied three years in a row before he got in. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the score with this whole process.

At any rate, good luck to us all as decisions near...

do all your app statuses look like this:

Application Details
Started 10/31/2015
Status Submitted 01/06/2016
Details 2016 MFA Painting/Printmaking
  2016 MFA
Edited by Alment

Application Details
Started 10/31/2015
  2016 MFA

Yes, but....is it just me, or was it not like this before? I mean, with the extra 2016?

2 minutes ago, Alment said:

Application Details
Started 10/31/2015
  2016 MFA

Yup. Sculpture here, and different dates, but same exact form.

1 minute ago, cpw0021 said:

Yes, but....is it just me, or was it not like this before? I mean, with the extra 2016?

Hahaha thats exactly what I'm wondering.  Honestly, I don't think there's anything to take away from that.  According to forums from last Year Columbia had some funny business with whether the "MFA" was still present or not.   Columbia added the 'MFA' part when they started reviewing, and then it would seem that they removed it as they decided against the applicant. who knows.  Yale and Columbia seem to have the same kind of application but i doubt they handle them the same way. 

Hahaha thats exactly what I'm wondering.  Honestly, I don't think there's anything to take away from that.  According to forums from last Year Columbia had some funny business with whether the "MFA" was still present or not.   Columbia added the 'MFA' part when they started reviewing, and then it would seem that they removed it as they decided against the applicant. who knows.  Yale and Columbia seem to have the same kind of application but i doubt they handle them the same way. 

Oh but I thought the Columbia thing was in slideroom? 

Oh, I have a question for you since you also applied to Rutgers--did you send official transcripts by mail or just upload them? I uploaded them but I'm wondering if I should send them by mail as well.