pets and grad school

KieBelle

I'm still in the process of applying, but I wanted to ask current grad students about the feasibility of having a pet while attending grad school full time. I have a cat that I've owned for the past 8 years and it would break my heart to give her up, but I'm preparing myself for the very real possibility that I'll have to. Between course load, internships, assistantships, study abroad, time at the library-- is it possible to have a pet? Has anyone been through this? I know the ease of finding a pet-friendly apartment/room varies from city to city, so my question is mainly about how much time I'll have at home to properly take care of an animal.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have some rare breed of super duper high maintenance kitty? I have two cats, and in the two years since I started grad school, they've had plenty of love and attention. In fact, since I do a lot of work from home now, one of them gets to sit on my lap all afternoon a few times a week. I know tons of grad students with pets. In fact, one of my favorite profs strongly encouraged every beginning grad student to get either a cat or a dog to see them through the rough patches. It's absolutely doable.

Frankly, I'm really surprised that you think it'll be a problem. Except for finding temporary homes for them during periods spent abroad, I don't see why caring for pets during grad school would be any harder than caring for pets with any other job.

The cat will be fine no matter how much or little attention you give her. Finding a pet friendly place...now that is a real challenge. Many university places are pet free and moving with a pet reduces the number of potential off-campus places you can consider. Plus reduced income makes food and vet bills a real challenge.

I have two cats, and I've had plenty of time to take care of them while in grad school. Cats are very low maintenance pets.

Finding pet friendly housing can be challenging, but if you look well ahead of time you should be able to find a place.

I'd encourage you to keep your kitty, having cats around is great for stress relief during grad school. Plus, it would be horrible for you and her if you had to give her up after 8 years.

I have been struggling with this, but my situation is a little different. For us, it will be a family of five. I will be going to grad school, DH will be finishing undergrad, and we have 3 school aged kids. Student housing is so much cheaper and easier. And we are so limited on our time now. I keep eyeing my tremendously loyal, incredibly high maintenance dachshund pair and thinking bad thoughts.

Do you have any relatives or close friends who would be willing to take the dogs for a few months or so while you get settled? Moving with kids can be really difficult (my parents moved a few times), and if you get rid of the dogs and force your kids to relocate at the same time, they (the kids) might really resent you for a while. When my sister was in graduate school, she left her dog with my parents for a few months when she knew she would be really busy with exams and whatnot. I know some people don't have that option, but it's worth asking as some people might like the chance to take care of dogs without having to sign on to a long-term commitment.

I have a dog that lives in another state (she always has lived with family friends and I see no need to move her across the country now) and also foster dogs through a local rescue group. I recommend keeping your pets if at all possible. While writing my MA thesis, I took in two foster dogs, who not only forced me to be better about my own time management (I had to teach them *everything*, including housebreaking them) but also brought me some happiness during the doldrums of writing.

My dog is a rescue dog who had a pretty rough go of things for about the first year of his life, then I adopted him. If I gave him up, I'm not sure he would ever be normal. He's good company, he does not complain when I want to express my frustrations about irregular Greek verbs, and he wags his tail when I talk about interesting verbs in Homer (although he wags his tail at anything said in the right tone). If I end up at CUA, I'm going to have to live in student housing for at least the first year which means no dog. He could definitely live with my girlfriend, but that would be a bummer.

My dog is a rescue dog who had a pretty rough go of things for about the first year of his life, then I adopted him. If I gave him up, I'm not sure he would ever be normal. He's good company, he does not complain when I want to express my frustrations about irregular Greek verbs, and he wags his tail when I talk about interesting verbs in Homer (although he wags his tail at anything said in the right tone). If I end up at CUA, I'm going to have to live in student housing for at least the first year which means no dog. He could definitely live with my girlfriend, but that would be a bummer.

That's really cute.

I've been waiting my undergraduate years out just so I can have my cats again. They currenlty live with my parents but don't get much lovin', just food and the basics. They're definitely my cats. I miss them a lot and will definitely not move to grad school without them! I can't say how comforting it is to have three kitties curled up around me while I'm writing a paper late into the night.

Absolutely keep your pet!!! You wouldn't give up your child just because you are going into grad school. My animals are my babies...although I am not in grad school yet, my animals will definitely be a top priority when I do start grad school.

Awww keep your cat for sure! I am currently cat-sitting two lovely super-furry cats for professors who are abroad for the semester while I am full-time grad student and freshman comp teacher. These profs were looking for grad students specifically to take care of the cats, so obviously the faculty, at least at my school, are not expecting us to be so engrossed in grad work that we can't spare a couple minutes for feeding/cleaning litter boxes/petting and making baby noises at the kitties.

I understand your problem. It was very difficult to find an appartment which allowed pets. Furthermore, those who did allow them often charged a HUGE deposit (sometimes non-refundable). My advice would be to start looking for a place as early as possible. Apartments which allow pets and don't charge a deposit often rent out the fastest. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

You should absolutely bring your pet! I think cats, generally speaking, are easier than dogs (I have one of the latter who's been such a source of comfort during times of stress). You can leave them home for longer periods of time, but you may also be spending a lot of time working from home. As for funds, it just comes down to budgeting. I figure I spend up to $80 a month on average, including vet bills (but this amount is split between two caretakers). This isn't bad at all... it means I eat out a few less times a month, which is fine. I stay home and cook and spend time (and share table scraps) with my pup instead!

I empathize with the fact that pet-friendly housing is more limited. However, I think renters often view grad students differently from undergrads. One thing you can do is prepare a 'pet resume' (sounds corny, I know, but it can be helpful). Just prepare a brief page with stats on your pet: size, temperament, level of activity, how long you've been with the pet and how you intend to take care of her. Include references for the pet -- previous landlords, vets, anyone who can vouch on behalf of its behavior. Offer to put down a pet deposit, if necessary (up to half rent? Where I'm at, most places wanted about $200-$500 pet deposit for $1000-$1400 rentals). I don't know the legalities of non-refundable pet deposits in other states (sounds a little iffy to me) but it's a good faith offer that could sway potential landlords.

Edited by tugou

Dogs aren't THAT hard, especially if you've already had them. And I say this as someone that fosters dogs, and started doing so during the second year of my MA. *looks over at the sleeping foster dog on the couch* Dogs do well with routine, which can actually help give structure to your schedule. I rather enjoy the goofy silliness that awaits me when I come home.

• 2 weeks later...

keep your cat. i'm at school 2-3 days a week, and only one day a week am i there for more than 4 hours. the rest of the time, my cat gets a lot of my love. he lies next to/on top of my laptop while i work, rubs his face against whatever book i'm reading, sits on top of my notebooks. constant companion, constant nag, all love. you need your pet there to help you destress, and cats are really easy to care for. you spend a lot of time working, but unless you're in labs, you can do most of it from home.

a fellow grad student just got himself a puppy. i don't know how he manages to train his pup and get his work done, but i'm still jealous.

traveling is difficult though. i'm not sure what to do about that yet. my fourth year is spent traveling to probably 3 or 4 different countries, so the kitty will likely move in with my parents.

I am so glad and thankful I have my dog and brought him with me!! The first semester of a PhD program in a state I've never lived in and don't have any family close by... he's been my saving grace. Coming to the midwest and living on my own for the first time (I've always had roommates) was difficult, but it would have been so much worse if I didn't bring my pup. Having my pet is also a nice excuse to get away from the office for a few hours, set time limits for the library or try to get your academic life on a somewhat 'normal' schedule.

The only difficulty I've found is in finding someone to watch him while I go out of town to visit family or go to conferences. However, having a cat is probably easier in that respect since they tend to be more self sufficient. My vote - BRING YOUR PET!! If he/she makes you happy now, you'll be 10x happier he/she is with you after the big move.

Are you serious?!?! I spend more time with my pets than many people with their spouses. I don't understand the concern you have about time commitment. I put in around 60 hours a week between lab, courses, seminars and other things. This leaves most of the rest of my time free. Furthermore, as a first year student rotating, nobody really expects that you will put in many weekends and courses are a bit of a joke. Keep the cat.

I was considering getting a dog, during my M.S., but found out that my apartment wouldn't let me have one. I wound up dating a girl who wanted to get a cat, so we got two. She left, and I kept the cats... Definitely a good idea. Making a cross country drive for my Ph.D. was reasonably lonely, but they were good company and they tend to be nice. Like every other poster so far has said, it's always a good idea to have some companionship. Nothing is better than coming home from a long day of being stressed out to see a little furball there happy to see you. Definitely take your pet.

If you're having a hard time finding places, a lot of the online websites for apartment searching have an option to search for ones that allow pets.. If it's a cat, 95% of apartment complexes should be fine with it. Dogs may be a bit more difficult. Like has been said, you'll probably have to put up a pet fee (200-400, usually non-refundable), and you may or may not have to pay "pet rent" (my complex charges $25 a month for it). In the long run though, the companionship is nice.

I've been thinking about getting a cat. I graduated undergrad in December and I'm living with my mom until I either go to grad school in the fall or get a job and can afford to move out. Grad school is unlikely since I only applied to three MFA programs. However, if I did go to grad school, it would mean relocating my new pet and potentially having to find someone to watch him over school breaks if I decided to go home for them. I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I don't know, any thoughts on this? My dog passed away last year and I've been having serious pet withdrawal. I'd love to have a cat companion for my grad school years, but I'm worried about me moving around a bit or possibly needing to leave him behind on breaks.

Those thinking of getting high-maintenance pets should consider the amount of time you will not be around during the year. Winter and spring breaks, trips, and possible travel abroad during the summer can seriously complicate your pet's life even if having one is not a problem on a daily basis. I have a cat in grad school, and I like him, but he is a serious impediment to my ability to leave town for any extended period of time, especially since people in university towns tend to all leave during the same dates, making care by friends and classmates in my absence difficult to find as well. Professional pet-sitters can do a good job during the annual holiday visits to family for a week or two, but paying someone to take care of your cat/dog while you're in Spain studying Catalan for two months over the summer is a pretty expensive proposition.

Those thinking of getting high-maintenance pets should consider the amount of time you will not be around during the year. Winter and spring breaks, trips, and possible travel abroad during the summer can seriously complicate your pet's life even if having one is not a problem on a daily basis. I have a cat in grad school, and I like him, but he is a serious impediment to my ability to leave town for any extended period of time, especially since people in university towns tend to all leave during the same dates, making care by friends and classmates in my absence difficult to find as well. Professional pet-sitters can do a good job during the annual holiday visits to family for a week or two, but paying someone to take care of your cat/dog while you're in Spain studying Catalan for two months over the summer is a pretty expensive proposition.

This is one reason why I advocate fostering pets, either dogs or cats. If the rescue group is large enough, they'll be able to find someone else to temporarily watch the pet for you while you're out of town, whether it be for holidays or over the summer. Case in point: I currently foster a dog, and the rescue group knows that come May, I'll need to take a break from fostering while I do my summer research. Then, when I come back in the fall, I'll foster another animal.