Graduate Institute Geneva (IHEID) - Fall 2016

Mangrovia

Hello everyone, and congratulations on your admission to the Graduate Institute Geneva. B)

This thread aims to become a space for the incoming MA candidates at IHEID to talk about all the stuff we have to go through before getting to Geneva and finally meet up next September.

Let the dance begin! 

Heya again @Mangrovia ;) I hope the others will be joining us here soon!

How're you feeling about paying the pre-registration fee by January 30th? I emailed IHEID asking if an extension is possible just so it's not all a big rush, but if they say no, I'm fine with that too. I mean I did initially agree to paying it on time in the application conditions. Then comes the housing, visa, and French language issues... so much to do! Haha, looking forward to it though.

@taeyeon I also wanted an extension for the payment of the pre registration fee but it seems impossible.

I want to know if you have started with your application for accommodation? If yes, how did you go about it?

Got a lot of things to do too, including enrolling in a French course, and I don't even know where to start from. Thanx.

1 hour ago, taeyeon said:

Heya again @Mangrovia ;) I hope the others will be joining us here soon!

How're you feeling about paying the pre-registration fee by January 30th? I emailed IHEID asking if an extension is possible just so it's not all a big rush, but if they say no, I'm fine with that too. I mean I did initially agree to paying it on time in the application conditions. Then comes the housing, visa, and French language issues... so much to do! Haha, looking forward to it though.

I am actually fine with that. I mean, I wouldn't mind an extension (until April 15th maybe), but I was psychologically ready for the January 30th deadline in the fortunate case of successful admission.  ;)

My biggest concern is now finding new funding sources/scholarship opportunities, and I'll e-mail IHEID to get ANY advice they might have in store for me. The bright side is having eight months of something to get everything ready. As far as housing goes, I haven't started the application for accommodation, but I am pretty sure I am out of the game, as I live 500km away from Geneva (and one of the three criteria to determine who will receive a room in the Student House is the geographical distance of a student's residence at the time of admission.)

Hi guys! First congrats to all of you for being admitted to IHEID! Thank you @Mangrovia for opening this threat of discussion; I think it will be very helpful to solve doubts among each other. I was admitted to the MDev programme, anyone else? I still cannot believe it and I'm really happy to be able to meet such amazing individuals this Fall :) 

I think one of my greatest concerns right now is accommodation, as I've read that it is really difficult to find housing :unsure: I was even thinking to find a place in a neighbour city in France, which seems to be cheaper than Geneva. I know it is still early, but if anyone has information about it, I would be more than glad to hear it from you :) Thank you very much and looking forward to meet you all in Geneva ;)

Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found this topic. Congratulations to all of you. 

I have been admitted to the MA International Relations/Political Science programme with a full scholarship. The institute is one of my top choices but I was hoping we were given the option to make a decision by April rather than by the end of this month. :/

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have received communication from the Institute regarding accommodation at their Student House? I checked the forums and people from last year had received information about it around this time...so just want to check on that. I feel like I am missing out on emails as I found out about the scholarship by randomly checking the follow-up section. Usually, they send emails about these things. 

Thank you! :)

Was student housing information sent out this time last year? I somehow remember it as being in March, along with all the regular deadline notifications. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's still early so we shouldn't worry too much. 

@LuciaPantigoso95 I'd recommend looking at the GISA student guide. I'm sure we can get a spot at one of the dorms on there, though I personally prefer the Institute's own dorm and maybe RUI ;) 

@Mangrovia On the upside, you'll have the advantage of being able to go there in person and scout your accommodation before moving in! Or at least I hope you'll get to, and maybe give us intel as well, haha.

Also congrats @ARadiata! I seriously considered MIRPS at first but I'm glad I settled for MIA considering the former is more theory-oriented. What are your other choices? I would say even if you end up getting other acceptances and scholarships, paying the pre-registration fee to guarantee IHEID's offer would be worth it. I just wish it could've been at least half that, but oh well~

I'm thinking I'll start listening to French podcasts or RFI's news segments more often again to improve my listening, and hopefully start working on my grammar again in spring. I can literally speak like 8 sentences in French despite supposedly having a B1 :lol: How about you guys? One of my goals while living in Geneva is to finally become fluent in French.

Edited by taeyeon

On 17 gennaio 2016 at 1:31 PM, LuciaPantigoso95 said:

I think one of my greatest concerns right now is accommodation, as I've read that it is really difficult to find housing :unsure: I was even thinking to find a place in a neighbour city in France, which seems to be cheaper than Geneva. I know it is still early, but if anyone has information about it, I would be more than glad to hear it from you :) Thank you very much and looking forward to meet you all in Geneva ;)

The idea of finding a place in the closest French city is not as bad as it might sound, and it's actually pretty popular among those who work/study in Geneva. I don't have any precise info about it as of now, but it's something I was planning to look into in the next couple of days. Let's keep each other in the loop! ;)

4 hours ago, taeyeon said:

Was student housing information sent out this time last year? I somehow remember it as being in March, along with all the regular deadline notifications. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's still early so we shouldn't worry too much. 

@LuciaPantigoso95 I'd recommend looking at the GISA student guide. I'm sure we can get a spot at one of the dorms on there, though I personally prefer the Institute's own dorm and maybe RUI ;) 

@Mangrovia On the upside, you'll have the advantage of being able to go there in person and scout your accommodation before moving in! Or at least I hope you'll get to, and maybe give us intel as well, haha.

I feel like the GISA Student Guide is pretty useful but non that updated - as the rest of their website actually. As @LuciaPantigoso95, the accommodation is a big concern for me, too, though I guess we can find something cheaper than CHF 650/month for the shared apartment w/ shared bathroom in IHEID Student House, can't we?

I was thinking of heading to Geneva for the Admitted Student Day on April 5th actually. So yes, it'll be my pleasure to be your undercover agent for a couple of days! 

P.S. Did you guys get any e-mail from IHEID today about your Financial Aid Application? I got one saying that their decision was available on my follow-up module, but anything has really chanced to be honest. My request was refused on Friday, and it's still refused today. Damn it! <_< 

Edited by Mangrovia

7 hours ago, Mangrovia said:

P.S. Did you guys get any e-mail from IHEID today about your Financial Aid Application? I got one saying that their decision was available on my follow-up module, but anything has really chanced to be honest. My request was refused on Friday, and it's still refused today. Damn it! <_< 

I received one today as well. I thought is was in response to my request for a reevaluation (I don't have enough funds to even pay the deposit), but it seems more like a bit of a mass-email slip-up

I got the financial aid email at the same time as my admission notification, so I guess it's not a completely uniform system...

Though the GISA site isn't updated that often, I feel like the student housing websites themselves shouldn't be too out of date. For instance, Cite-Uni's website says you can rent a room starting from CHF 480. Personally I cook a lot, so wherever I end up residing, I need my own kitchen and not a shared one :P Really liking the look of the Rothschild rooms, but past experience tells me to go with the uni's own housing if possible.

April 5 seems so far away and yet I bet it'll already be that date on the calendar soon. We'll have a lot of questions for you both before and after you go attend, @Mangrovia! This is so exciting.

By the way, anyone here need a visa to go to Switzerland? I wanted to start getting my application ready, but I've seen somewhere that we can't apply until 90 days before our intended date of arrival. And considering the process is supposed to take 3 months, that's really cutting it close.

Edited by taeyeon

8 hours ago, taeyeon said:

I got the financial aid email at the same time as my admission notification, so I guess it's not a completely uniform system...

Though the GISA site isn't updated that often, I feel like the student housing websites themselves shouldn't be too out of date. For instance, Cite-Uni's website says you can rent a room starting from CHF 480. Personally I cook a lot, so wherever I end up residing, I need my own kitchen and not a shared one :P Really liking the look of the Rothschild rooms, but past experience tells me to go with the uni's own housing if possible.

April 5 seems so far away and yet I bet it'll already be that date on the calendar soon. We'll have a lot of questions for you both before and after you go attend, @Mangrovia! This is so exciting.

By the way, anyone here need a visa to go to Switzerland? I wanted to start getting my application ready, but I've seen somewhere that we can't apply until 90 days before our intended date of arrival. And considering the process is supposed to take 3 months, that's really cutting it close.

Heya,

Just received a mail from the student house asking me to apply for a room latest by 30th January and want to know if anyone else has.

@taeyeonIn my country it takes 3 to 4 months to get a swiss student visa and I think that's the case in most countries too. Waiting for 90 days before applying might delay your arrival (including the 3 weeks French course) so I think you should visit the swiss embassy in your country and inquire. 

Best.

9 minutes ago, kotsa said:

Just received a mail from the student house asking me to apply for a room latest by 30th January and want to know if anyone else has.

@taeyeonIn my country it takes 3 to 4 months to get a swiss student visa and I think that's the case in most countries too. Waiting for 90 days before applying might delay your arrival (including the 3 weeks French course) so I think you should visit the swiss embassy in your country and inquire. 

Best.

Got the e-mail and already applied (just out of curiosity, because, again, I am pretty sure I won't get any accommodation due to geographical vicinity; plus, I don't believe it is the cheapest solution anyway). The application is REALLY quick. You just have to fill in a form with your three preferences, save them, and you're done. They said notifications will be released by February 15th. 

@kotsa I know, that's why I'm concerned about it too. But I'll wait until after I pay the pre-registration fee to start fretting over visa specifics... -_-

And whoops, I stand corrected! Just got the email now. I'm just wondering how many tenants the kitchen/living area is shared between, but I just submitted all my options as well. Though it may not be the cheapest solution, it'll be literally across the bridge from IHEID and makes life that much easier, so I hope you can be admitted in there as well @Mangrovia!

10 minutes ago, kotsa said:

@Mangrovia @taeyeon please what's the meaning of the "accommodation levels" in the housing application and what does it also imply. Thanx

I guess it's related to the floor you want your room on. Indeed, it is low, medium, high. But maybe I got it wrong. Let's wait for @taeyeon's answer!

Hi everyone!

I was accepted into the Anthropology and Sociology of Development program. 

I am just wondering right now, does anyone know if 700 CHF is worth it for the student acommodation (considering how close it is to the Institute) or can you get cheaper in Geneva? Thinking of applying but a bit scared of that value as that would be half my scholarship gone already... 

I was told that if you live on french side housing is much cheaper, as some of you have mentioned too. However, I don't know if it will compensate what you end up spending on transport (as railway/transport fares in Switzerland are expensive in general compared to where I live right now). 

And does anyone know about this year's academic calendar? Might need to arrive in Geneva a few weeks before to look for housing around the area. 

Happy to be in touch with all of you!!! :) Hope we can help eachother out. 

On 18 January 2016 at 6:31 PM, taeyeon said:

Also congrats @ARadiata! I seriously considered MIRPS at first but I'm glad I settled for MIA considering the former is more theory-oriented. What are your other choices? I would say even if you end up getting other acceptances and scholarships, paying the pre-registration fee to guarantee IHEID's offer would be worth it. I just wish it could've been at least half that, but oh well~

@taeyeon its theoretical bend is one of the reasons why I am interested in the MIRPS programme. :) My other options are LSE and Oxford. So let's see, let's see. You're right, better to accept their offer and figure out as and when things happens later. 

@ARadiata Sounds like some great options to me! However things turn out, you'll end up at a good school ;)

@Chaska Congrats and welcome to the thread! I'd say the choice is up to you since, as you said, transport could drive up costs. Other dorms are cheaper but also lack stable internet connections and such from what I've read. In the past I've opted for alternative dorms to the university's own and it was far less enjoyable than the university's own option, plus it's a new building and all!

@kotsa and @Mangrovia I also thought the level meant the floor... There can't be differences in the standards of the room, right? Though it's ridiculous to charge an additional CHF 100 just for having an elevated view, especially considering it's not even the top floor (I'd say that's probably the couples/2-bedroom apts.)

Edited by taeyeon

Hi Everyone! :D I have been accepted to the MIA with a partial scholarship! I am so happy and looking forward to meet you all. Regarding accomodation, I will try to get a room with the insitute. Do you know how many chances there are to get a room there?

24 minutes ago, Fedora said:

Hi Everyone! :D I have been accepted to the MIA with a partial scholarship! I am so happy and looking forward to meet you all. Regarding accomodation, I will try to get a room with the insitute. Do you know how many chances there are to get a room there?

Hi @Fedora, and congrats again on your admission to the MIA Programme - I don't know about you guys, but I haven't fully realized it yet! B)

According to IHEID Website, the main criteria used to decide who will get a room in the Student House are:

1. Geographical distance of the student's residence at the time of admission

2. Academic results

3. Scholarship application

Now, as I said before, I live pretty close to Geneva, at least compared to people coming from the United States or Asia, so I am pretty sure I'm not in a favorable position in this sense. However, I don't know if by scholarship application they mean that they tend to give priority to those who got the scholarship or to admits who didn't. I, personally, didn't.

P.S. I read you spent quite some time in Italy and I bet you perfectly speak Italian, don't you? It'll be fun! :D

22 hours ago, Fedora said:

@Mangrovia yeah, my country of residence is also Italy... so I guess we have the same chances ahah. I still live in Udine! :D (Well, I go back there for the holidays ahah) where are you from? :D

Are you kidding?! I'm from Verona, but did my BA in a town that is twenty minutes away from Udine by train. What a small world! :lol:

Hi guys,

I just wanna know if anyone have been able to find out the number of people that share a kitchen and wash rooms in the various hostels.

And also how far you guys are with the pre registration fee as the dead line is almost due.

Safe.

12 hours ago, kotsa said:

Hi guys,

I just wanna know if anyone have been able to find out the number of people that share a kitchen and wash rooms in the various hostels.

And also how far you guys are with the pre registration fee as the dead line is almost due.

Safe.

Hey @kotsa. I paid the pre-registration fee last Friday, and my status changed from Admitted to Confirmed this morning.