Graduate Institute Geneva (IHEID) - Fall 2016

Mangrovia

Wow, confirmed status sounds so... confirmed :P I'll be there by the end of this week. I just got my money converted to CHF today, need to find some time between work to go deposit it.

@kotsaNot sure about the others, but considering that for the IHEID dorms there are about 10 floors and 200 something students, about 20 people per floor seems like an educated guess? I dunno. 

I'm probably talking to myself here, but - I paid the pre-registration fee and just got the "Confirmed" status and the admission attestation. Now to wait for housing decisions and to start stressing over visa applications! :rolleyes:

Heya guys, 

I want to know how long it took after the payment of your pre registration fees for your status to change to "confirmed".

I made my payment since Monday but it has still not changed. I have also send a mail to the institute but haven't received any reply or response yet.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, kotsa said:

Heya guys, 

I want to know how long it took after the payment of your pre registration fees for your status to change to "confirmed".

I made my payment since Monday but it has still not changed. I have also send a mail to the institute but haven't received any reply or response yet.

Thanks.

I paid the fee on Friday and had my status changed on Monday. As long as the status of your invoice is paid (and no longer issued), I guess you're fine though. Plus, I'm sure the Institute will get back to you before the weekend aka by tomorrow afternoon! ;)

4 minutes ago, kotsa said:

@Mangrovia did u pay by credit card or bank transfer? Mine was by bank transfer and I hope that's not what is causing the delay.:(

I paid by credit card and yes, I'm pretty sure the bank transfer takes longer to be processed. However, I believe that paying the fee before the deadline is what really matters, and that's what you did. Why don't you give a call to IHEID tomorrow? If you get some credit on your Skype account, international calls are way cheaper! 

Just now, kotsa said:

Okay then I will call them tomorrow and see what's happens. Much thanks. Seriously, I really got worried when my status wasn't changing.

My pleasure, @kotsa. You shouldn't worry at all. I mean, it's not in their interest to cut you out for such bureaucracy-related reasons. They admitted you 'cause they want you. Be positive, I'm sure they will be very cooperative tomorrow! Keep us in the loop. Good night! :)

2 hours ago, kotsa said:

Okay then I will call them tomorrow and see what's happens. Much thanks. Seriously, I really got worried when my status wasn't changing.

Hi Kotsa,

The same happened to me, my status just wouldn't change. I e-mailed admissions my bank transfer receipt and they changed the status immediately. I think that would be the most effective thing to do at the moment.

Can't wait to know housing results! 

Hey guys, glad everyone's confirmations are working out. Through a strange coincidence, I was able to meet up with a second year student at IHEID this week. It was great getting an insider's perspective on things, and especially regarding housing applications he recommended that starting soon would be the best idea. Apparently student residences take ages to give out decisions and that can delay visa applications. Also, despite the Picciotto residence being so close to campus and hosting GISA on the first floor, it's further away from stores/restaurants/entertainment than other residences. It seems like most residences' monthly rent includes utilities as well which is a giant relief ^_^

Hi friends! I am probably a little bit late here :rolleyes: It is a great pleasure to meet all of you! And congratulations! I have been admitted to Master in International Relations/ Political Science with a full scholarship and received my notification on January 15 as most of you did =) I've been following this thread for a while and then finally decided to join. Here I've found so much useful information, which I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else as we've got almost same concerns))) So thank you very much! 

As far as I've understood, there is only one person also admitted to MIRPC? @ARadiata I am so happy to meet my new classmate!:) Hope there will be others soon attending this programme. Anyway, we are all here a single new community and it was a brilliant idea to start socializing before we actually meet each other in September=)

Concerning the last piece of the discussion: I paid my pre-registration fee yesterday at about noon by credit card, but neither the status of my application, nor the invoice status have changed since then. I forwarded the receipt to the Institute right after the payment and asked them to confirm whether or not everything is ok. However, I haven't got any answer, so I emailed them today once again and, unfortunately, with the same result... Although @Mangrovia 's point that the payment itself matters and not the status is undoubtedly reasonable, I just can't help worrying. Previously, they responded to messages within one day, but I guess they are quite occupied right now as the deadline approaches. Just hope that everything will be settled on Monday.

Have a wonderful weekend mates!;)

Hi @Kate_rina! Congrats on your admission as well.

I'm concerned about what you said regarding how slow they're being with emails... I've never actually emailed them until the financial aid notification, and that took over a week to get a response (which was no longer needed by then). I replied back within an hour with another question and still nothing! <_<

Hi guys,

Thank you for assistance on Thursday, I really appreciate it.

@Chaska I sent them another follow up mail just like u advised and @Mangrovia just when I was about to call them, my invoice status changed from issued to paid. I wish u guys knew I relieved I was. 

Welcome and congrats Kate_rina. I also learnt they are very busy with the late admission process as it took  4 days with follow up mails before my invoice status changed. Since you have a receipt that states that you paid before the deadline, i think you should not worry. As @mangrovia said the other time  they want you that's why they admitted you and they are not going to cut you out due to some situation beyond your control. So just relax and cheer up, you will be attend to.:)

Hi guys,

@taeyeon @kotsa thanks for support! Still, it's Tuesday evening and there is no sign of them. The link for making payment has disappeared but my status is unchanged :huh: that's strange. 

Also I'd like to ask your opinion on the choice of grad schools. The thing is that I've been admitted to Sciences Po as well and they have nominated me as a candidate for the Eiffel scholarship. In addition, today they emailed me to announce that I have been granted the Boutmy scholarship too, but I have to choose one or another - they can not be awarded together. The sad truth is that whichever scholarship I choose, it will only cover either tuition or living and I won't be able to bear the second part of the expenses myself. And I guess that all substantial French scholarships are mutually excluding? I simply can not understand this logic. In fact, they restrict almost all other opportunities of funding except student's own sources. Which are absent in my case. I've sent a message to Sciences Po asking for their advice on this, but they just repeated that the scholarships can not supplement each other with no recommendations or explanations. 

It may appear bizarre trying to find funding in France already being admitted to the IHEID with everything covered :wacko: But I am still hesitating, still in two minds a little bit, can not force myself to decline Sciences Po's offer. Feels like I'm losing something. I previously spent a semester there within an exchange programme and was dreaming of coming back to Paris. At the same time, friends tell me to relax since in any case the IHEID is stronger, more elite and respected. What do you think, guys? Maybe any of you is facing the same dilemma? What was guiding you, when you chose the Graduate Institute? I mean, being small and elite, it is not even mentioned in rankings, so it's hard to compare. There is so much pathos around Sciences Po. I am puzzled :huh: Would be grateful for any comments. :rolleyes:

Hey @Kate_rina, Congratulations! And I am so glad to meet another person from the MIRPS programme. :D

With regards to making a decision between Sciences Po and IHEID. I would personally go with a university/institution that offers me a full scholarship, and would only consider a partial scholarship offer if I was sure that I would be able to manage the rest of the expenses with ease. Most importantly, I would see which faculty my research interests align with as I plan on applying for a PhD. The fact that the institute is small could work in our advantage - more opportunities, closer relationships with the faculty and therefore, more chances of being picked to work in their research projects. 

Anyway, I know decisions like these are not easy but this is the way I would go about it. I hope it helps. 

Good luck! 

@Kate_rina I can understand you feeling torn with another great offer, but I agree with what @ARadiata said. The full scholarship will always be a better choice in the end, because being worried about your finances can put you under enough stress to detract from your studies. Believe me, I was also a Boutmy scholarship recipient but the pressure to remain in the top 50% of class in order to continue receiving my scholarship was only detrimental to my mental health back then. I haven't seen as clear-cut requirements for maintaining IHEID's scholarship so far, which could be either relieving or alarming... 

I would say go for the Eiffel scholarship if you can (I'm guessing that means forfeitting Boutmy) and make sure you know what the academic requirements are for it. If you can get the Eiffel scholarship, results should be out by the end of March and you'll still have plenty of time to make up your mind about the schools without also paying the housing deposit for IHEID.

Although if you do end up at IHEID, trips to Paris shouldn't be too much of a hassle... I've got a lot of friends to visit there, so I'll be your travel buddy! B)

On a side note: Admissions is still taking ages to get back to me, but what I've got in response from last week's email is that the original copies of all our letters should be sent out this week.

Edited by taeyeon

@ARadiata @taeyeon, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Discussion always helps (at least, psychologically :rolleyes:) and your points are definitely reasonable. Indeed, burdening myself with money constraints and academic pressure is hardly rational given that IHEID offers some really unique opportunities like those of networking. I also heard or read somewhere (maybe here?) that IHEID provides career service of good quality, i.e. they are attentive to students and offer their guidance and so you are not just left in the street with your diploma like it often happens with famous big universities with Sciences Po not being an exception. Overall, it is clear that IHEID wins on many parameters, and I guess that finally I will go for it whatever the result of the Eiffel will be. It is just that it's hard to refuse :( 

As for the housing deposit, if I'm not mistaken, I remember something about March,15? So, Campus France will announce results already after the deposit payment deadline... Again, it is very inconvenient that IHEID announces the results too early as the majority of us is still waiting for other applications' outcomes. And urges us to pay =( but their scholarships are relatively very generous, I should admit. 

@taeyeon Yeah, I've already checked the distance to Paris and prices as I also have a couple of friends who study there=) so that's settled;)

Meanwhile, IHEID must be completely overwhelmed with applications - they wrote me back stating that they have received the money more than a week after the payment. And promised to change the status of my application asap, but haven't done so yet. It is still "admitted". 

Greetings To all :) Finally I am back on Gradcafe! So first of all congratulations and cheers to all *Clink* Even I got admitted long back for Masters in Development Studies and I am super glad to be part of this thread and would love to engage with all of you :D^_^ 

Hi guys,

The housing application replies are out and I wasn't offered a room. They said I can reapply again in March with the regular admittees. So I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping to get good news from them in April.

Same here, @kotsa. I'm kind of surprised honestly, cause I'm assuming that I can't apply for the same option next time so I'm already searching up other housing options now.

Also, they still haven't replied to the email I sent 11 days ago... wonder what's going on over there :unsure:

@RoyaleGVa Welcome! By 'long back' do you mean back in January? :lol: It's been barely a month but seems a lot longer.

Hi guys! Seems that everybody's had bad news today, me not being an exception. I wonder if anybody at all here among us has succeeded? 

To be honest, I am quite upset as I was hoping to get at least "the third option" in the list, but eventually got nothing. It appears finally that these places are indeed very hard to obtain, if at all possible. It is written that they consider: geographical distance (I assume that Russia is far enough=)), scholarship (I have a full one as most of us here) and academic profile (ok, maybe they didn't consider me strong enough on this criteria, but then they've offered me a full scholarship, was it only due to social conditions??). So, that's a very-very sad surprise. 

I have a friend at the Institute who is currently on a programme and lives at the Student House. She explained me today that though the process was not problematic for her (as she is on some special one-year law programme, and there are places reserved for them exclusively), for others it was. But interestingly, some of the students obtained a room for the second semester. So, such a chance also exists. 

Off-topic: my status has after all changed to "confirmed" only today! More than two weeks after the payment... 

And welcome @RoyaleGVa! Yeah, I understand, it's a bit weird that only a month has passed since our admission=))) feels like ages=) 

Was there even any room allocation process at all, cos if not even one person on this thread was made an offer then which people got the rooms? I'm so confused now cos I need a room offer for my visa application process and I'm just wondering if the other accomodation options can make us an offer in time for it.

I'm so upset and disappointed cos looking at their bases for selection it looked and sounded like a sure deal for most of us here. 

I guess I'm also going to have to search for other options. :(