Grr online recs

tarski

Blah, most of the systems (it seems) let you enter your letter writer info and then choose to actually send the request later, but I think Stanford just shot them off as soon as I entered their info and saved it. Beware!

Just sent quick notes of apology to two of my profs, who had agreed to write me letters some time ago, but I had not warned them about the incoming email.

Don't they usually include a warning saying you should notify your recommenders that they will be receiving emails? I felt pretty bad about flooding my recommenders' email inboxes, but they understood that it's not something I can really help. I would say that you should really only feel embarrassed if you are filling out an online application and accidentally submit your professors' details before actually asking them for the recommendation!

I wrote my recommenders awhile back thanking them for agreeing to be my letter writers and let them know they would be receiving those emails but to just delete them. I then sent an email later with my CV, Statement of Purpose, Transcript, Due Date List for schools, a writing sample (for a professor who had not read one of my papers), and the forms from three of the schools that require a hard copy of the letter. This was over a month ago. I let them know in that email that I would be sending the emails from the schools again this week. Later I'm going to drop by their offices with stamped envelopes and make sure everything gets mailed out. I figure this holds me accountable for my own stuff and helps my already very busy professors.

Jerrylandis: Yes, they always include this warning, but for every app I've filled out except Stanford, saving your writers' details and clicking the button to send the rec request are two separate processes (but in Stanford's app, the "save" button was also the "send" button). So my plan was generally fill out all the forms early, warn my profs at the appropriate time, and then click the "send" button. Stanford defied my plans :(. It's not that embarassing though, because they knew in general that this would be coming.

LateAntique: Thanks, warning them to just delete emails for now seems like a good idea, if it turns out that more apps work this way. I've already done the other stuff, giving them a package and so on. Today was just sort of a shock: oh, this form actually sent something out before I paid them :o .

...for every app I've filled out except Stanford, saving your writers' details and clicking the button to send the rec request are two separate processes (but in Stanford's app, the "save" button was also the "send" button). So my plan was generally fill out all the forms early, warn my profs at the appropriate time, and then click the "send" button. Stanford defied my plans :(

IU does this, too. Their online application system is pretty weird, in general.

Is anyone else annoyed that a lot of programs' websites emphasize that they do paper recommendations (with no mention of electronic recommendations), but then it turns out they do have (or even prefer) an electronic option? It's as though these "How to Apply" sections are several years out of date, or don't keep up with university-wide changes in the processing of applications.

IU does this, too. Their online application system is pretty weird, in general.

Is anyone else annoyed that a lot of programs' websites emphasize that they do paper recommendations (with no mention of electronic recommendations), but then it turns out they do have (or even prefer) an electronic option? It's as though these "How to Apply" sections are several years out of date, or don't keep up with university-wide changes in the processing of applications.

I've run into this problem as well. I've been double, triple, and even quadruple checking the guidelines for submission of each requirement because different areas of the website will give conflicting information. IU is the WORST about this! Their department supplemental form specifically says that LORs must be mailed in hard copy, but the online app says they have to be sent electronically. I ended up emailing the department and asking which one was correct (electronic submission). Very annoying.

I've run into this problem as well. I've been double, triple, and even quadruple checking the guidelines for submission of each requirement because different areas of the website will give conflicting information. IU is the WORST about this! Their department supplemental form specifically says that LORs must be mailed in hard copy, but the online app says they have to be sent electronically. I ended up emailing the department and asking which one was correct (electronic submission). Very annoying.

YES! That's why I'm a little put off by all the pat "read this website carefully" responses you get from reps and the like. YOUR WEBSITE IS NOT CLEAR!!!! LOL

I don't trust systems enough to enter electronic recommendation info until the very end.

Even weirder is one of my schools has an "electronic application" but makes you submit all supplimental info via sealed mail. They already give the option for a completely paper-based submission. On top of that they charge $10 more for the online app. Guess which way I'm applying.

Online applications are a godsend for anyone applying from outside the country. I can't imagine how much it would cost for me to mail out all of my application materials, and considering the ongoing London postal strike I'd be really annoyed if my materials never made it in time to be considered! I still find the patronising requests about how to fill out the applications quite annoying, since the websites often have their information scattered about on several different pages.