Residency Results 2010

DaisyO

Hello all

I know this is a grad school forum, but naturally many of you will be applying for residencies as well. Skowhegan, MacDowell, Yaddo, Penland, Santa Fe, Core Program, Fine Arts Work Center, etc! I have applied for the Vermont Studio Center and the Millay Colony already. I am getting pretty anxious about the VSC, does anybody have results yet for 2010 residencies?

Yikes!

Good luck!

Just received a letter from VSC stating that I did not receive full fellowship. However, I was awarded with a $900 artist grant which would go towards my fee for a regular residency. Don't know if this is standard or what? Doesn't everyone who applies get in to VSC? I feel like this $900 'grant' is a ploy to make me feel good and go ahead and fork over the rest of the cash. Am I wrong?

First post, btw. Hello all.

Hello all

I know this is a grad school forum, but naturally many of you will be applying for residencies as well. Skowhegan, MacDowell, Yaddo, Penland, Santa Fe, Core Program, Fine Arts Work Center, etc! I have applied for the Vermont Studio Center and the Millay Colony already. I am getting pretty anxious about the VSC, does anybody have results yet for 2010 residencies?

Yikes!

Good luck!

Hi John

Hmmm...this looks like bad news for me, since in my experience, the longer it takes you to hear back the less likely you are to have been accepted/funded.

As far as the "grant" goes, that does seem a little tricky. It really doesn't cover much of the cost, but on the other hand $900 is a lot of money anyway. Frankly, if I am offered a similar grant I won't be able to afford to go. I (and most of us, probably) don't exactly have a couple of grand sitting around waiting to be spent.

I have had 4 residencies and only had to pay for one, I paid $500 (supposedly it cost many times that for me to be there, which I can kind of believe). The other ones were not the kind you had to pay for.

I have always had mixed feelings about applying to the ones you pay for. On one hand, it is great to have a new chance to focus on one's work. On the other hand, it seems like one is being taken advantage of somehow, especially since all the residents are paying different amounts; the full tuition or fees seem kind of like an arbitrary number that represents the worst outcome (short of rejection).

Thanks for posting! Congratulations on being accepted...congratulations on the funding...let us know what you decide.

--Daisy

Edited by DaisyO

After reading through your post i decided to look into residencies. I found a couple that would offer opportunities for photographers but I feel out matched when I see the work being created and most of the work they display on the sites are either painting or instillation. Do you happen to know of any photography residencies?

After reading through your post i decided to look into residencies. I found a couple that would offer opportunities for photographers but I feel out matched when I see the work being created and most of the work they display on the sites are either painting or instillation. Do you happen to know of any photography residencies?

yes! i would love to hear of any photo residencies as well.

Quick notes,

I know most of programs accept photo guys, however, your guys should check with the program, what's the photo they want to see and support.

I am sure VSC, Whitney, lightwork(very good) are air for photo. Acutullay, I think European give a special favor to photographyers. I met lots of artists this year from Venice Biennale, many of them already through the camera, they only do with COMPUTER, :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

After initially being rejected from VSC, I have just recieved this letter:

"...A place had opened up in... one of your choice of dates and we would be pleased if you are able to join us for the residency. We also have some grant and aid to offer you to reduce the full fee of $3750 to $1850 for the 4 week stay."

I only have two weeks to respond and dont know if I can afford it, since I would have to give up my income for a month but still pay rent and other expenses on top of their fees. Is this considered a good offer? Does it sound worth it? Is it possible to haggle with them for more funding? I would loove to go but even with their offer it seems expensive... I dont know what to do!

p.s.

DaisyO- Which 4 residencies have you attended?

John- What did you decide about VSC?

If you are looking to Photo AIR programs I highly suggest Lightwork. I interned with them for a summer while in undergrad. The staff is incredible, they pay for your housing in Syracuse New York and give you a stipend. You leave with a publication, a show, and a new or continuing body of work. Check out their deadlines. Good luck.

Yo Photo people:

I believe Vermont, Skowhegan and Lightwork are great places to apply. I have had friends and peers that have gone and highly recommend them. That being said, most residencies are not really grad school "prep", because they tend to look at exceptional bodies of work, a decent exhibition record or those that have completed an MFA. This is not always the case, but it is pretty competitive.

But, you never know unless you apply!

I just did a photo residency at Atlantic Center for the Arts this past fall with Rineke Dijkstra. ACA was brilliant. Last year, they had Thomas Struth. They rarely have photographers, but when they do---it's a magical place to live for a month (on the beach) and work alongside some of the most amazing artists. There were 7 of us and I was the only one without an MFA. I have no clue how I got so lucky...but, I'm glad I applied. The staff said depending on the popularity of the master artist you could be up against 35 other candidates or 200. Mine was pretty popular because of who Rineke is. But, some of them are easier to get into. And you can apply as many times as you want. (Each year...)

http://www.atlanticc...r_dijkstra.html

Only down side...you have bring your own equipment. Not as awesome as Lightwork where they have beautiful darkrooms. But, VSC is like that, too. So....

Incidentally, I got 100% grant funding from the Joan Mitchell Foundation. SCORE!

So, yeah...They are out there. You just have to look.laugh.gif

Edited by littlenova

• 1 month later...

Saw some questions about photo residencies, and actually had a studio visit at some point as an undergrad and had this mentioned to me by the visiting artist. (I do painting and photo... and I suppose would be more interested in painting residencies anyway) Dug this out of my notes from years ago, so hope it helps!!

http://www.lightwork.org/residency/index.html

If you are looking to Photo AIR programs I highly suggest Lightwork. I interned with them for a summer while in undergrad. The staff is incredible, they pay for your housing in Syracuse New York and give you a stipend. You leave with a publication, a show, and a new or continuing body of work. Check out their deadlines. Good luck.

oops, beat me to it ;)

I did a residency at Vermont Studio Center a few months ago. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Can't recommend it enough!

My guess is that it is not terribly difficult to get in, but it is difficult to get a full fellowship.

Not everyone gets a partial grant. I don't believe it's a ploy. They just give out as much as they can and probably try to distribute it somewhat evenly.

They also have a work-exchange program that will cut out another $600. The work is generally easy and fun. It's only a couple hours here and there and you work with cool people.

They are very well organized but also pleasantly chill. They are very nice and approachable so don't be afraid to email or call with questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got into the residency program at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in Florida. Does anyone have anything to say about the residencies there? I going into this rather blind. I don't know the reputation, what to expect, etc...

crey01: Loved, loved, LOVED my experience at ACA. So close to the beach, Chef Tom is a good cook, comfortable units. It's an amazing time to collaborate and create across disciplines. I did the residency in the Fall with master artist Rineke Dijkstra and she is a photography legend.

Everyone I was in residence with had an MFA except for me in my group...but, I learned SO MUCH. You are gonna love it. Some folks that went to Vermont Studio said ACA was better. Of course, we had amazing weather in October. If you are going in the summer...pack mosquito repellant and expect jungle-like conditions. :P It's heavily wooded.

You'll have a blast.

Edited by littlenova

p.s.

Reputation is growing! My group had grads from Columbia, RISD, Bard (lots of Bard kids) and Yale. Do NOT let the location and bumpkin rep of Daytona Beach fool you. In contrast to VSC, it's all about the quality Master Artists they bring to the program---not really the residency experience. It mimics Skowhegan in that way. Plus, the Joan Mitchell foundation awards are nice for your CV, because Joan Mitchell funds many prestigious schools/grads.

trust. cool.gif

p.s.

Reputation is growing! My group had grads from Columbia, RISD, Bard (lots of Bard kids) and Yale. Do NOT let the location and bumpkin rep of Daytona Beach fool you. In contrast to VSC, it's all about the quality Master Artists they bring to the program---not really the residency experience. It mimics Skowhegan in that way. Plus, the Joan Mitchell foundation awards are nice for your CV, because Joan Mitchell funds many prestigious schools/grads.

trust. cool.gif

Thanks littlenova! I have no idea what to expect and this will be my first real official residency. By the way, what are the Joan Mitchell awards? does that come with the financial package if and when you apply for it? Do they give you funding? I am not too crazy about spending the money flying out there and on the fees, materials etc (sounds really expensive)... I am hoping to hear back from Skowhegan, but I know my chances of getting into that program are slim.

Sometimes they offer full scholarships to pay your residency fee. Mine was entirely paid for by Joan Mitchell Foundation. This is part of the financial aid package. It should cover all of your fees...(not the plane ticket, but...)

p.s.

Skowhegan is AWESOME!!!!!!! I plan on applying after grad school. It's definitely on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

does Skowhegan only accept people with MFAs? it seems like the case BUT without making it an official requirement. If I knew that ahead of time, I wouldn't have applied already. If I get a no from them, which seems to be the case...then I am totally going to the ACA...which I am very excited about it. how is the ACA structured? how is the day to day? meetings, studio time, etc???

Thanks for all of your responses. they have been very helpful!

Skowhegan is probably the most elite residency in the country from what I hear. They take really great work. Pure and simple. I know several people that do not have an MFA that were accepted there, but...they also had AMAZING exhibition records and one of them was in the Whitney Biennial. I wouldn't let it intimidate you, though...They could love your work and overlook some inexperience.

ACA was great...The master artist decides the schedule, really. My master artist was European and very chill...so she basically just met with us a few times a week and we were on our own to explore, etc. Weekends were free, but they have planned activities like concerts, readings, local exhibits. You can attend all or none depending on if you can break away from your work. Studio time is anytime you want... Studios are open 24/7. I didn't do the drinking parties at night, because I really wanted to photograph alot. (i.e. wake up early, get in the studio, etc.) But, some people didn't even finish a work at the end...they used their time in a different way. It's all about individual process. There is a show at the end where you can share your work with the "public", but it's really intimate---far out in the woods.

Meal times were my favorite. Chef Tom is a good cook...and it's just a swell time to mingle, talk with other residents, have fun. I LOVED the writers we had at our residency. We had chat sessions, watched movies...they gave me manuscripts to read. I just adored being there. It's like nothing else, really. They have bikes you can borrow to ride down to the beach. We had beach nights, too.

Just so fun and creative. Everybody there (almost) had been to Vermont and thought ACA was better. It's so short, but AMAZING.smile.gif

I didn't realize I repeated 3 times that some people thought ACA was better than Vermont Studio. I am an idiot....rolleyes.gifSorry.lol... I meant to say it once...and I only brought that up because Vermont is amazing and I think of that as a compliment. Sorry, VSC folks! *foot in mouth.

I did a residency at Vermont Studio Center a few months ago. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Can't recommend it enough!

My guess is that it is not terribly difficult to get in, but it is difficult to get a full fellowship.

Not everyone gets a partial grant. I don't believe it's a ploy. They just give out as much as they can and probably try to distribute it somewhat evenly.

They also have a work-exchange program that will cut out another $600. The work is generally easy and fun. It's only a couple hours here and there and you work with cool people.

They are very well organized but also pleasantly chill. They are very nice and approachable so don't be afraid to email or call with questions.

Thanks so much for the input, you offer me a huge reassurance! Hadnt heard much about the place beyond the website and some articles, but decided to go for it. I will make more money...and my job is cool with the time off...so what the hell? I am totally excited!

@nova: no worries I could tell whatcha were trying to express, didnt read it as you knocking anybody

Edited by james

Skowhegan is probably the most elite residency in the country from what I hear. They take really great work. Pure and simple. I know several people that do not have an MFA that were accepted there, but...they also had AMAZING exhibition records and one of them was in the Whitney Biennial. I wouldn't let it intimidate you, though...They could love your work and overlook some inexperience.

ACA was great...The master artist decides the schedule, really. My master artist was European and very chill...so she basically just met with us a few times a week and we were on our own to explore, etc. Weekends were free, but they have planned activities like concerts, readings, local exhibits. You can attend all or none depending on if you can break away from your work. Studio time is anytime you want... Studios are open 24/7. I didn't do the drinking parties at night, because I really wanted to photograph alot. (i.e. wake up early, get in the studio, etc.) But, some people didn't even finish a work at the end...they used their time in a different way. It's all about individual process. There is a show at the end where you can share your work with the "public", but it's really intimate---far out in the woods.

Meal times were my favorite. Chef Tom is a good cook...and it's just a swell time to mingle, talk with other residents, have fun. I LOVED the writers we had at our residency. We had chat sessions, watched movies...they gave me manuscripts to read. I just adored being there. It's like nothing else, really. They have bikes you can borrow to ride down to the beach. We had beach nights, too.

Just so fun and creative. Everybody there (almost) had been to Vermont and thought ACA was better. It's so short, but AMAZING.smile.gif

Thank you SO very much! This is all very helpful. I am looking forward to going to this residency. It's going to be a great experience...finally hearing something (not on the site) from someone who attended is GREAT.