exceeding word count

Think of it like this, you are dating someone and you tell them that the ONE thing by which you cannot abide are wet willys. And the first thing they do is stick their slimy wet finger in your clean, dry ear.

So, yes, it matters.

Think of it like this, you are dating someone and you tell them that the ONE thing by which you cannot abide are wet willys. And the first thing they do is stick their slimy wet finger in your clean, dry ear.

So, yes, it matters.

LOL. Great explanation.

Exactly.

There are lots and lots of soft rules. That's why this board is here. However, breaking one of the few hard rules shows the adcomms that you aren't willing/able to follow simple instructions and that can only look bad on your application.

So i suppose that discussing your research in depth is not a good idea?

my plan was to briefly state the hypothesis and how we tested it.

also when applying to the sciences and there are jargons that we use like tumor necrosis factor alpha (Tnf-a) do i go and type Tnf-a and assume that they just know it? if i type the entire thing it makes my SOP over the word limit.

I know this sounds dumb. but i just want to know your thoughts.

thanks everyone.

You might feel that you don't have room to discuss your stuff in a proper amount of depth, but remember that all the applicants to this place have a similarly small space to work with. Just do the best you can within that.

My SOP limits range from 300-1000 words... I feel like I'm leaving a lot out of the 300 word one, but I just stick with what they prompt for, do that well, and hope it's what they want.

ok im sorry maybe i exaggerated a bit.

lets say 1000 limit and 100 words off.

i really understand the importance of brevity.

i am just reluctant that if I do not use proper designations they might think i do not know my stuff.

anyways im going to call them tomorrow.

thank you all.

also when applying to the sciences and there are jargons that we use like tumor necrosis factor alpha (Tnf-a) do i go and type Tnf-a and assume that they just know it? if i type the entire thing it makes my SOP over the word limit.

thanks everyone.

As far as jargon is concerned, the first time you introduce a term spell it out and then put the acronym or abbreviation in parentheses next to it. Then from that point on, use the acronym or abbreviation. I had to do this a lot for my NSF fellowship essays and I assume that it would be appropriate for the SOP as well. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

And you do not sound dumb. I understand what you are going through as I often struggle to stay under the maximum word/page limit due to verbosity. I spoke with a prospective advisor last week about the SOP and he said that reviewers hate it when applicants write long-winded SOPs. If there is a word limit, stick to it. I suggest having professors and graduate students you know read over your SOP and asking them to highlight what is superfluous in your essay. That can be very helpful in reducing the word count.

thanks everyone.

Above advice seconded. Also, consider that you will be asked during your career to reduce your research to an abstract. Think of this as an exercise in that.

Edited by coyabean

There's nothing wrong with sticking with this plan but you have to be brief about it. Yes, it sucks but as coyabean has said, it's a part of academic life. In several years, you will have to write a 250-word abstract of your dissertation. I know it seems insane but you'll have to do it.

For reference, I wrote a 500 word SOP that discussed not only my master's thesis (theoretical background, literature drawn on and in conversation with, and key conclusions) as well as my PhD research interests (in a different subfield and geographic region) and a bit of a fit paragraph. So, it can be done. Just ask yourself if each thing is necessary. Do you need that word or phrase? Do you need that sentence? Will the SOP make sense if you cut that sentence/phrase out? If so, then do it.

hey guys!

so i managed to shorten it down to 999 words.

i tried to spell out the name of the proteins that i worked on and abbreviated them afterwards but that did not work out.

if i had used just the shortened form then its perfect length.

i would just assume that they know the designations since these proteins are quite common :)

ok im sorry maybe i exaggerated a bit.

lets say 1000 limit and 100 words off.

i really understand the importance of brevity.

i am just reluctant that if I do not use proper designations they might think i do not know my stuff.

Just a general remark on this - some applications will actually cut you off after 1000 words (or however long their limit is) so that won't fly at all. In others, I've heard it said that going 5%-10% over the word limit still counts as OK. Personally I think these word limits are one of the more crucial rules to obey. As others have said, this is something you'll be expected to do throughout your career in academia.