2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

I'm not entirely sure if Berkeley is done or that there is a reason why almost all are international. It very well could be that they had a list, funding was discussed first for international, and the US applicants will hear next week. 

Not to keep your hopes up too high, because it seems like an appropriate number of people have been accepted already and posted on grad cafe, but one of the two patterns for Berkeley is to see them send out a few more wait lists and acceptances the second week of February. (Again, thinking this is true because of funding and personalized emails.) However, it is still possible that they are nearly is not completely done sending out emails. 

Give up hope at the end of next week. 

For those of you who didn't apply to the logic group but still are logic, phil science, phil language, phil math, formal epistemology,...etc...oriented, there have been people in the past who have been considered and even accepted into the logic group after being rejected from the phil pool. This also happens in the other direction; that is, being accepted into phil or math phd after being rejected from the logic group. Similarly, I would suppose, for classics/ancient phil. 

Wishing you all success next week. 

Just now, kantbook said:

here to verify the Chicago acceptance (and one of the Berkeley ones)--I know how shitty the wait/suspense can be. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. 

Thank you and congratulations!! Was this a personal e-mail or a generic one to check status? (eg should I despair yet? Lol)

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Thank you and congratulations!! Was this a personal e-mail or a generic one to check status? (eg should I despair yet? Lol)

Thank you! It was a personal email, with the subject line "Chicago Beckons!"

Edited by kantbook

24 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

I suspect that they're finished making initial offers of admission at this point. I've been told that they will notify applicants  (WL or R) via e-mail in the coming two weeks.

Wow thanks :( 

I'd be lucky to even get one acceptance. :(

Man, I feel like a kid standing out in the cold winter wind looking through the glass of a department store. I've heard nothing yet, but have one assumed rejection. It's early yet, and I didn't apply to many schools, but I feel like I'm being left behind in this storm of emotions haha.

1 minute ago, jjb919 said:

Man, I feel like a kid standing out in the cold winter wind looking through the glass of a department store. I've heard nothing yet, but have one assumed rejection. It's early yet, and I didn't apply to many schools, but I feel like I'm being left behind in this storm of emotions haha.

Amen to that!

2 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Congrats to all the Chicago acceptances!!

+1 Congrats everyone! 

Since Chicago doesn't have a wait list and offers each applicant the same package, I can probably presume rejection if I haven't heard anything yet, right?

3 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

What does the strange little logo next to three of the Chicago admits mean?

The little red diamond? If you hover over it it'll tell you what their GPA/GRE scores were. It only shows up for those who reported it when adding their entry. 

Edit: nvm I see what you mean now, not sure what that symbol is :huh:

Edited by Siegfried42

2 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Whelp, when can I expect my rejection letter from Chicago?

Was just checking the same; in the past it's been around Feb 25th. Some get referred to their MAPH program but they generally don't provide funding.