2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

Anyone know what's going on with WashU and Duke? What's up with the weird note about WashU from January 24th?? And did Duke accept everyone they will accept, or are they just staggering things? I haven't heard anything at all, but I figured I'd have been notified if I was rejected.

Congrats to all those who've gotten in so far!! 

1 hour ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Anyone know what's going on with WashU and Duke? What's up with the weird note about WashU from January 24th?? And did Duke accept everyone they will accept, or are they just staggering things? I haven't heard anything at all, but I figured I'd have been notified if I was rejected.

Congrats to all those who've gotten in so far!! 

Hi there,

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster, and I can claim one of the Duke Admits. It is my impression that the first round of Duke offers are done, and that all successful applicants posted on the results page.

I'm very excited about the prospect of Duke. I also have a number of other applications out there that I have yet to hear about.

Good luck everyone!

16 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster, and I can claim one of the Duke Admits. It is my impression that the first round of Duke offers are done, and that all successful applicants posted on the results page.

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on Duke!! Good with the rest of your cycle... Was Duke your first choice?

6 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on Duke!! Good with the rest of your cycle... Was Duke your first choice?

I don't really have a "first choice" because I have competing values and interests. If I end up with more than one option, I will use the visits to make a considered judgement about which program to accept. Needless to say I am very grateful for this offer, as it means I will be doing a PhD next year come what may.

36 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Someone just posted an accept for Berkeley dated Feb 3rd. Any takers? Do we think it's legit?

I dunno. Any claim one might make as to its legitimacy seems underdetermined by the evidence.

Anyway, g'night forum. May we all wake up tomorrow morning with many acceptances awaiting us in our email inboxes, and may they all be well-funded and each of them from the respective hopeful's top-choice programs.

I can claim the Berkeley. Still kind of in after-shock - I think I've just had a continuously happy day and a half. 

(Extremely long-time lurker; I've even had an account for the longest time, never got around to posting.)

3 hours ago, torpedofish said:

I can claim the Berkeley. Still kind of in after-shock - I think I've just had a continuously happy day and a half. 

(Extremely long-time lurker; I've even had an account for the longest time, never got around to posting.)

Congratulations!!!! They contacted you on Weds, right? Any idea whether they are done with sending out acceptances (& waitlists)?

2 hours ago, smwinterfeldt said:

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt yet? They were predicted to release on Monday.

I'm also holding out hope for UNC and Indiana Bloomington, but I know those aren't expected quiet yet.

Nothing yet. Let's hope they're just dragging their feet **fingers crossed**

Edited by lisamadura

I have a question of etiquette... At the risk of disclosing my location, professors from Georgetown and Chapel Hill are coming to give guest lectures within the next two weeks. I've applied to both of their programs. If I haven't heard back by the dates of the talks, should I go? Should I attempt to speak with them about my application? For what it's worth, I go to a tiny school and I'm definitely the only applicant from it, so I have no real way to avoid the situation short of just not going.

6 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Congratulations!!!! They contacted you on Weds, right? Any idea whether they are done with sending out acceptances (& waitlists)?

Thank you!!! :)

Yes - though just barely (technically already Thurs my time - EST). As for your other question, unfortunately I have no idea (or anything that might cause me to have a guess either way)... But good luck to you! 

2 minutes ago, torpedofish said:

Thank you!!! :)

Yes - though just barely (technically already Thurs my time - EST). As for your other question, unfortunately I have no idea (or anything that might cause me to have a guess either way)... But good luck to you! 

Thanks! Though I think they only admit 1 int'l student per year due to funding issues :(

12 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

I have a question of etiquette... At the risk of disclosing my location, professors from Georgetown and Chapel Hill are coming to give guest lectures within the next two weeks. I've applied to both of their programs. If I haven't heard back by the dates of the talks, should I go? Should I attempt to speak with them about my application? For what it's worth, I go to a tiny school and I'm definitely the only applicant from it, so I have no real way to avoid the situation short of just not going.

I would definitely go to the lectures but I probably wouldn't ask about the application. Attending the lecture and engaging in the Q&A is a good opportunity for you to showcase yourself as a philosopher and as someone willing to participate in the philosophical community outside of the classroom. If given the opportunity, introduce yourself to them before or after the talk. But I would steer clear of inquiring about the application. May I ask, why are you trying not to disclose your location? Is it for the same reason people don't put their real names? Anonymity in the event that a committee member in a department to which you are applying looks through the forum? 

7 hours ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Every year, they've send acceptances and wait lists over the course of a full week or even two. I don't know much about international students, but what you said sounds legitimate. 

22 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Every year, they've send acceptances and wait lists over the course of a full week or even two. I don't know much about international students, but what you said sounds legitimate. 

Any idea why Berkeley does this? Are the emails personalized by different professors, or something along those lines? Seems like needless cruelty unless there's some reason like that. 

23 minutes ago, sneakysombrero said:

Any idea why Berkeley does this? Are the emails personalized by different professors, or something along those lines? Seems like needless cruelty unless there's some reason like that. 

No idea. I would have guessed something like what you've said, personalization.

6 hours ago, smwinterfeldt said:

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt yet? They were predicted to release on Monday.

I'm also holding out hope for UNC and Indiana Bloomington, but I know those aren't expected quiet yet.

I heard that someone got a call from Vanderbilt last week but I don't know for certain. They don't seem to have send out acceptances yet though.

I just called Berkeley and was told that students are usually notified around the beginning of March. The few students who were offered admission a few days ago were the ones received campus-wide fellowships (usually based largely on GRE scores, I've heard). Based on past years' data, it seems that acceptances and wait lists will come out within the next week and rejections toward the end of Feb. 

Just now, philosopher_queen said:

I just called Berkeley and was told that students are usually notified around the beginning of March. The few students who were offered admission a few days ago were the ones received campus-wide fellowships (usually based largely on GRE scores, I've heard). Based on past years' data, it seems that acceptances and wait lists will come out within the next week and rejections toward the end of Feb. 

I'm out of up votes but thank you for doing this!!!