2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

2 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

This! This is why I refuse to put down a Presumed Rejection. You never know until you get the email. It's all speculation before that!

Positive thinking? or denial? Two sides of the same coin ;)

I'm right there with you bud. 

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Just admitted into CU Boulder with full funding and nominated for fellowship! Such a relief to know I'll be studying philosophy in the coming years no matter what happens during the rest of this cycle... Needed this!

That's awesome!!! boulder is beautiful. 

Just now, Siegfried42 said:

Just admitted into CU Boulder with full funding and nominated for fellowship! Such a relief to know I'll be studying philosophy in the coming years no matter what happens during the rest of this cycle... Needed this!

Hey, Congrats!!! I didn't expect CU Boulder to send out notifications until late February. Did you receive an email or a call? Or did you just check your application status through the online portal?

Oh god now I'm nervous...

Edited by jjb919

14 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

@swilke So, what is the difference between eudaimonia and makarios?

Well, if one were to believe my thesis they share three different types of relationship depending on the text surrounding them (and sometimes this relationship is ambiguous, it's often wise to take a skeptical approach to the relationship between the two). In some cases they are synonymous, in some cases they differ in magnitude but not meaning, and in some cases they are possibly even categorically different. I mostly look at how the relationship between these words affects the monist/inclusivist debate on external goods in the E.N

If you'd like to read my paper I can send you a copy, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Edited by swilke

7 minutes ago, jjb919 said:

Hey, Congrats!!! I didn't expect CU Boulder to send out notifications until late February. Did you receive an email or a call? Or did you just check your application status through the online portal?

Oh god now I'm nervous...

Thanks! I received a personal e-mail from the DGS. This may have been sent early because of the fellowship nomination. In fact, if I login to the online portal there is no decision available yet (just says my application is "complete and under review"), so I would not give up hope yet.

Just now, Siegfried42 said:

Thanks! I received a personal e-mail from the DGS. This may have been sent early because of the fellowship nomination. In fact, if I login to the online portal there is no decision available yet (just says my application is "complete and under review"), so I would not give up hope yet.

Awesome. Yeah, I checked my status  quickly and it also still says complete and under review. But there are two more Boulder admits on the results page that don't mention a fellowship nomination, so I'm a little nervous.

1 minute ago, jjb919 said:

Awesome. Yeah, I checked my status  quickly and it also still says complete and under review. But there are two more Boulder admits on the results page that don't mention a fellowship nomination, so I'm a little nervous.

yeah, I just got in via email without a fellowship nomination, so it looks like they're probably sending things off today. Best of luck to you!!!

Just now, shitandthings said:

yeah, I just got in via email without a fellowship nomination, so it looks like they're probably sending things off today. Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks, and congratulations!

55 minutes ago, swilke said:

Well, if one were to believe my thesis they share three different types of relationship depending on the text surrounding them (and sometimes this relationship is ambiguous, it's often wise to take a skeptical approach to the relationship between the two). In some cases they are synonymous, in some cases they differ in magnitude but not meaning, and in some cases they are possibly even categorically different. I mostly look at how the relationship between these words affects the monist/inclusivist debate on external goods in the E.N

If you'd like to read my paper I can send you a copy, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Categorically different? Surely they're both instances of ποῖον, no?

7 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Categorically different? Surely they're both instances of ποῖον, no?

You are correct in questioning the categorical difference between the two, it is certainly the shakiest of the relationships. My paper focuses primarily on deconstructing Aristotle's own words regardless of word origin (though perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "instances of ποῖον"). I note this by claiming that there are a few cases where it seems they might be categorically different but this is not set in stone, this is just a possible interpretation. The real core of the paper is to make sure we take a skeptical approach to reading Aristotle when it comes to making arguments that hinge on linguistic consistency.

That being said, I don't want to hijack this thread with my very specific interest :) I can also send you my paper if you'd like to read it. I'm keen to hear any comments or criticism you can offer.

Just now, Hadeel said:

Where is Rochester? Anybody heard from Rochester?

Does anyone know if they offer funding/TAships/Fellowships or anything?

I was admitted there two years ago and they offered me a fellowship and, actually, the most amount of money I've seen for a stipend. I think if you get in there you'll be taken care of. 

2 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I was admitted there two years ago and they offered me a fellowship and, actually, the most amount of money I've seen for a stipend. I think if you get in there you'll be taken care of. 

Fingers crossed! 

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go to Rochester?

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the rejection and blog threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

We never before have done this and it is possible it won't work. If it seems to cause too much trouble, my collaborator may withdraw from the role. 

Please let us know how you feel about this and whether or not you think we should continue with this option.

Best,

Jac

Edited by jacbarcan

1 minute ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the acceptance and rejection threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

We never before have done this and it is possible it won't work. If it seems to cause too much trouble, my collaborator may withdraw from the role. 

Please let us know how you feel about this and whether or not you think we should continue with this option.

Best,

Jac

That sounds amazing if the universities would actually give helpful answers. 

1 minute ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the acceptance and rejection threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

Best,

Jac

I would like it. It really would help. 

By the way, have you heard from any department you applied to?

4 minutes ago, Hadeel said:

Fingers crossed! 

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go to Rochester?

It was a really tough choice for me but I got a fully funded offer to a top MA program in a location with a lot of friends and family (whereas i didn't know anyone in upstate ny). The director of grad studies at my MA convinced me that I could do much better if I were to do the MA and reapply. Hope he was right! So far so good. 

5 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the rejection and blog threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

Best,

Jac

I think that's an excellent idea. 

15 minutes ago, swilke said:

You are correct in questioning the categorical difference between the two, it is certainly the shakiest of the relationships. My paper focuses primarily on deconstructing Aristotle's own words regardless of word origin (though perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "instances of ποῖον"). I note this by claiming that there are a few cases where it seems they might be categorically different but this is not set in stone, this is just a possible interpretation. The real core of the paper is to make sure we take a skeptical approach to reading Aristotle when it comes to making arguments that hinge on linguistic consistency.

That being said, I don't want to hijack this thread with my very specific interest :) I can also send you my paper if you'd like to read it. I'm keen to hear any comments or criticism you can offer.

Send it! 

I imagine he means to say that eudaimonia and makarios are both qualities and, in that sense, aren't categorically different.