2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

4 minutes ago, Hadeel said:

Oh hey, do you think the department is done with the acceptance calls? 

I'm not sure, the whole thing was super impersonal. I got some sort of fellowship, so it might just be the case that they sent out only fellowship offers yesterday. Best of luck to you! 

4 hours ago, Failedparachute said:

Did you also get a personalized email a few weeks ago? I got one from them saying that they wanted me to know they were still reviewing applications. It was super random.

The Loyola e-mail was not personalized. More or less: here's your application; does it look nice; we'll let you know soon if we make any decisions. The e-mail was from the graduate school, not the department.

"We wanted to update you on your application to the Philosophy PhD program for the 2016 Fall Semester.  The committee is still in the process of reviewing applications and making decisions."

I agree, this is totally random. That being said, a thin update is better than nothing at all.

@MickeyRay The situation is complicated. The short answer is: nothing will change from when you applied in terms of your interests.

Good news for Madison hopefuls! Apparently the person in charge of sending the admissions emails went home sick this morning, which might explain why there's only one acceptance up on the board. So there might be good news for some of us in the next couple days!

4 minutes ago, AmandaEvans said:

Good news for Madison hopefuls! Apparently the person in charge of sending the admissions emails went home sick this morning, which might explain why there's only one acceptance up on the board. So there might be good news for some of us in the next couple days!

Yay!!!(???)

5 hours ago, dgswaim said:
1 minute ago, AmandaEvans said:

Anyone claiming Wisconsin? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Oh my. I hope they feel better soon: (hint) tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, AmandaEvans said:

Thank you so much for this update. 

Also possible that it's legitimate. In the past four years, this is one of the latest they've come out. 

If you look at the past record for release dates, they sometimes are very spread out for Indiana. Also, slightly possible that it's spam, but very unlikely. If it isn't legitimate, most likely it is your option a. 

2 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

Rejected from Chicago. But they referred me to the MAPH because my application was "strong". But it seems like they sent this to most. Was this the generic email? Thoughts? 

Pfft. I didn't get that email. I guess I got regular rejected.

12 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

Rejected from Chicago. But they referred me to the MAPH because my application was "strong". But it seems like they sent this to most. Was this the generic email? Thoughts? 

As nice as it is to get (even partial) good news in these times of great angst, I wouldn't make too much of it. The MAPH is notoriously ill-funded (i.e. no funding at all) and in any case isn't as good a preparation to a PhD in philosophy as other, less prestigious terminal MA programs. 

Yes, it was great to hear something positive like "your application was" and "strong" in the same sentence. I've been going crazy with anxiety the past few days. This is the first contact I've had thus far, so it was slightly relieving. 

Edited by what_is_the_mind
Typo