2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

2 hours ago, dgtdhs said:

Congrats! Is it HPS or philosophy though?

Thank you! It is philosophy~ I suppose HPS is a different department though it has very close connection with the philosophy department. 

1 hour ago, violaina said:

Thank you! It is philosophy~ I suppose HPS is a different department though it has very close connection with the philosophy department. 

Thx...such a relief...I applied for HPS and haven't heard anything back yet...was so anxious...Congrats again

54 minutes ago, gughok said:

Nobody gonna claim the Princeton admission? Congratulations to whoever.

Guess I'm starting the season in the red.

Congratulations also to the Princeton admits. If whoever it is that got them is not feeling like bragging all over TGC, would you consider messaging or emailing me? If you fill out the funding page on the blog, it goes to my inbox completely anonymously too. 

I'm just trying to verify before I post on my blog. 

27 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Congratulations also to the Princeton admits. If whoever it is that got them is not feeling like bragging all over TGC, would you consider messaging or emailing me? If you fill out the funding page on the blog, it goes to my inbox completely anonymously too. 

I'm just trying to verify before I post on my blog. 

Do you have evidence that anyone else got a call/e-mail from Princeton?

If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to smoke out whether the single purported admit is a troll?

2 minutes ago, sneakysombrero said:

Do you have evidence that anyone else got a call/e-mail from Princeton?

If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to smoke out whether the single purported admit is a troll?

Two more Princeton admits showed upon the board today - one international student who got an e-mail and another phone call. I'm afraid that's probably enough to show that it's not a troll, though I would think only two reported phone calls are not quite enough to call presumed rejections either.

Edited by Siegfried42

1 minute ago, Siegfried42 said:

Two more Princeton admits showed upon the board today - one international student who got an e-mail and another phone call. I'm afraid that's probably enough to show that it's not a troll, though I would think only two reported phone calls are not quite enough to call presumed rejections either.

And the email was apparently only sent today, so it looks like they're taking their time contacting people. I can only hope.

4 minutes ago, gughok said:

And the email was apparently only sent today, so it looks like they're taking their time contacting people. I can only hope.

True, but there were apparently two phone calls on February 13th, and the person who got an e-mail on the 14th didn't get a phone call because they were international. So that's some evidence maybe that all the phone calls (i.e. domestic acceptances) went out yesterday. 

Just now, gughok said:

Exactly, don't lose hope yet. If last years are any indicator everyone should hear relatively quickly regardless of whether they are admit/wait list/rejects. Best of luck!

1 hour ago, psm1580b said:

I always giggled at this one ;)

20a11213516c8d3852b71f14553182ab4d646e5c780c496ad7ebc52ab07a4a6c_1.jpg

Speaking of Kierkegaard, I have a crowd-source question. Do you all pronounce his name Kierke-GUARD or Kierke-GOR? I come from the po-dunk west and I've been trained to pronounce it "Guard," but I've heard others say, "Gor" and I'm doubting my own pronunciation. 

Edited by lisamadura

4 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Speaking of Kierkegaard, I have a crowd-source question. Do you all pronounce his name Kierke-GUARD or Kierke-GOR? I come from the po-dunk west and I've been trained to pronounce it "Guard," but I've heard others say, "Gor" and I'm doubting my own pronunciation. 

It's like that Woody Allen thing about Van Gogh... I think it's pronounced like Kierke-gur or some such but I pronounce it Kierke-guard and have almost always heard it that way. I also pronounce Sartre as Sart, and I will continue to, simply because a friend I had was Sartre's godson and he pronounced it Sart. 

12 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Have a Scandanavian boyfriend.. Here is the OG way of pronouncing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DA-S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard.ogg

Just now, MVSCZAR said:

It's like that Woody Allen thing about Van Gogh... I think it's pronounced like Kierke-gur or some such but I pronounce it Kierke-guard and have almost always heard it that way. I also pronounce Sartre as Sart, and I will continue to, simply because a friend I had was Sartre's godson and he pronounced it Sart. 

Did you just site Woody Allen to me? You win all the up-votes. I also belong to the "Sart" camp, though I don't see "Sart-ra" vs. Sart" as the same as "Van-G(phlemy sound)" vs. "Van-go". The Sartre pronunciation is just preference, one is not more correct than the other, both are equally Anglicized. But I'm inclined to agree that saying "Kierkegor" is like saying "Van-G(phlemy sound)". I'm all about Sart, Van-go, Kierkeguard. 

2 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

Have a Scandanavian boyfriend.. Here is the OG way of pronouncing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DA-S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard.ogg

Cool! I don't know if I'm even capable of saying it correctly. If "ought" implies "can" then I'm fated to pronounce it wrong. 

17 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

I'm in the former school of Kierke-guard. I teach him fairly often. It's not nearly as scary as when teaching Merleau Ponty or Nietzsche...

10 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Did you just site Woody Allen to me? You win all the up-votes. I also belong to the "Sart" camp, though I don't see "Sart-ra" vs. Sart" as the same as "Van-G(phlemy sound)" vs. "Van-go". The Sartre pronunciation is just preference, one is not more correct than the other, both are equally Anglicized. But I'm inclined to agree that saying "Kierkegor" is like saying "Van-G(phlemy sound)". I'm all about Sart, Van-go, Kierkeguard. 

In NYC, if you want to get a junior drivers license, you have to sit through 5 hours of defensive driving classes, memorize Sinatra's NY, NY, and recognize quotes from at least 3 Woody Allen movies.