2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

22 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Any word on whether the emails were personalized or sent by an actual person? If it was just a standard message from the application system, I'll stop freaking out and just go drink. If it was from an actual person and addressed to you personally, I'll still cling to my hopes and dreams and continue to freak out.

I'm afraid it wasn't an automated email from the system. But I'm not sure you should infer anything from that about your situation just yet. A drink sounds like a good idea either way? :/  I'm sorry I can't say anything more uplifting. 

1 minute ago, torpedofish said:

I'm afraid it wasn't an automated email from the system. But I'm not sure you should infer anything from that about your situation just yet. A drink sounds like a good idea either way? :/  I'm sorry I can't say anything more uplifting. 

Ah, it's ok! I think that maybe it's better that it wasn't automated? I'm not sure. Either way, I have two good offers -- it would just be nice to stay with my SO. Anyways, congrats!

47 minutes ago, Erratic_Akratic said:

Anyone claiming the Toronto admission? With all the action we've been having tonight I only just say it!

Congrats on the chicago acceptance! (And the others, I'm just singling out Chicago because I go there.)

Any chance USC isn't done with its call list? I'm perplexed because I don't see anything in my youSC portal inbox (i.e. no rejection or waitlist letter), nor have I received an e-mail, but I haven't received a call either. 

Also does anyone want to claim the USC waitlist? I have a sneaking suspicion it's a troll, would be nice to have that suspicion allayed...

1 hour ago, sneakysombrero said:

Any chance USC isn't done with its call list? I'm perplexed because I don't see anything in my youSC portal inbox (i.e. no rejection or waitlist letter), nor have I received an e-mail, but I haven't received a call either. 

Also does anyone want to claim the USC waitlist? I have a sneaking suspicion it's a troll, would be nice to have that suspicion allayed...

A friend of mine was waitlisted at USC today...so they did send out at least some waitlistings.

1 hour ago, sneakysombrero said:

I can claim the USC wait list. I received an email from Gabriel Uzquiano. 

I made an account just to draw attention to the NYU claims, too. And Toronto. I'm going to need to hear both of these from a real, anonymous grad cafe account holder.

Note: Each of the three welcome emails grad cafe sends when you sign up gave me separate mini heart attacks. They should know their jumpy audience better than to do that. 

Edited by Disgruntledlurker

2 minutes ago, sneakysombrero said:

Two NYU acceptances posted, so less likely it's a troll (right?)...anyone want to claim?

In principle I don't think it's any more difficult to fake two posts than one. This early is unprecedented for them, too, so... hoping...

It's like 9pm in New York; I doubt Chalmers would call people this late at night. (And to rule out the possibility that the phone calls were made earlier today, there is evidence against it: (i) both posting were made back-to-back in the past hour, unlikely if the calls were made earlier today, (ii) the "I am shaking" comment makes more sense if he had just received the call.)

To be fair the "I'm shaking" part of the post sounds legit. I would be shaking... and crying... and Chalmers would be like, "ummm is this a bad time?" and through my tears I'd be like "No, Chalmers, this is the perfect time *sobs forever of relief and ecstacy*" 

Edited by philosophe

Man, getting a call from Dave Chalmers or another big-wig philosopher...I think that would be the most amazing experience in my life to date, lol.

I would probably not be able to assert any meaningful utterances for the first five minutes of the phone call. I'd just be letting out emotive sounds and sobs.

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It's like 9pm in New York; I doubt Chalmers would call people this late at night. (And to rule out the possibility that the phone calls were made earlier today, there is evidence against it: (i) both posting were made back-to-back in the past hour, unlikely if the calls were made earlier today, (ii) the "I am shaking" comment makes more sense if he had just received the call.)

Here are some reasons to think that there's not sufficient evidence to assert that the NYU admission posts are fake:

1) Nothing makes sense, and PhD admissions are sheer chaos.  

2) Emails and calls have gone out at seemingly random times in the past (UCSD rejection emails at like 3 am, calls very late in the afternoon/evening from other programs)

3) WW1 victims of PTSD displayed weird shaking behavior for years after their service (

), and getting a call from David Chalmers is probably just about as shocking as watching your friends die from poison gas.

That said, I think the proper response is to suspend judgment: maybe more NYU acceptances will get posted tomorrow, or maybe some evidence will come to light that these two are fake. But there's really no proof either way right now.

Edited by philstudent1992

TODAY….I was carefully going through my junk mail, looking for the student emails that inevitably end up there no matter what filter setting I apply and there it was.  There is was….I read:

Dear xxxxx xxxxxx,

Congratulations!  You have been admitted to the Ph.D. Program in English at  xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.  That you have been selected from among the 243 applications we received this year indicates our high opinion of your qualifications and our confidence that you will thrive in our program. We extend our warmest invitation to join our entering class for the Fall 2016 semester.

I screamed so loud!!!!! Unfortunately, my honey was sleeping and jumped out of bed yelling. "What happened? What is it?"  He was ready to rumble!  I told him that I was accepted as I cried and shook and bounced on the bed.  He was sleepily very happy for me, even more happy it wasn't an intruder I was screaming about.  And get this Grad family, full funding.  I was offered full funding.   This is one of the most exciting days of my life.  My musician husband thinks we should buy him a bass to celebrate.   He says it will help keep him "supportive".   I pretended like that was a problem, but he doesn't know that he's getting that bass just because he had been so supportive!:D  So….the round of calls that I have been waiting for years to make ensued.  I called my mom who screamed with joy, my brother, who told me, "You've worked hard, you've earned this!" My closest friend, my sister, my aunt who is hard of hearing, so that took longer than anticipated, to my daughter, who told me she knew it was in the bag!  

I sit here now, smiling, on cloud twelve!  I have read so many stories of acceptances and wondered when it would be my turn.  Today it is.  For all those  who have been rejected, don't give up.  Never give up.  One day, you will write your story here and I look forward to reading it.

4 minutes ago, bravesball said:

Third NYU post. But it's listed under "Phliosophy" and not Philosophy so you won't see it searching for philosophy. 

Okay, "Not my top choice but w/e"? Someone has to be trolling us hard.