2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

5 hours ago, Failedparachute said:

From what I saw on the department schedule, I believe the admissions committee is meeting next week.

Thanks for the info!

I guess now my question is: Boston College (MA) and Georgia State University, any claims?

9 hours ago, TheJabberwock said:

Congrats! I was waitlisted last year and I was really hoping for some good news from them this year. Do you know if they reached out to all of those they accepted?

I'm honestly not sure; nothing in the letter gave any indication either way. Sorry I can't be more helpful, and the very best of luck to you! 

13 hours ago, erosopher said:

That sounds like it would have been a really cool lecture! I don't know if you have worked with David Rondel at Reno, but I am pretty sure he was a student of Barry Allen's at McMaster, who was also a student of Rorty's. Your Rorty roots may run even deeper than you think!

Actually, yes! David Rondel is on my thesis committee. I didn't realize Allen was Rory's student. @MVSCZAR yours is way cooler than mine. But being so few removes from The Martin Heidegger also means you can't be trusted :-P

13 hours ago, Failedparachute said:

Oui, that's me! Am I really the only one they've contacted so far? Best of luck to you!

Seems likely considering there are no other posts, but we are also the only two who seem to have applied to USF on the forum, so who knows! 

3 minutes ago, Philhopeful said:

Hi--wanted to confirm that the Yale post is legit. Its from a good friend of mine who never made an account here. They do not want to release details to reveal who they are which is why the post is sparce. 

Thank you for the update, and congrats to your friend!!

3 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Wow!!!! Congrats!! 

*watches phone in trepidation*

2 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

Holy shit! Congratulations!!

Thank you so much!! I'm literally shaking. The phone call only took about 60 seconds, details to come in an email later!!

edit: and good luck everybody!!

Edited by oldhatnewtricks

7 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Thank you so much!! I'm literally shaking. The phone call only took about 60 seconds, details to come in an email later!!

edit: and good luck everybody!!

Congratulations, you're doing damn well this season, especially with Pitt and now Yale!

7 minutes ago, gughok said:

Congratulations, you're doing damn well this season, especially with Pitt and now Yale!

Thank you so much! The credit all goes to me advisers, who raked my writing sample over the coals for about two months. It came out far, far better than the original version I had planned on using.

Just now, oldhatnewtricks said:

Thank you so much! The credit all goes to me advisers, who raked my writing sample over the coals for about two months. It came out far, far better than the original version I had planned on using.

I wish I had that - my advisors each offered one round of serious review. Pretty sure my sample is complete garbage.

5 minutes ago, gughok said:

I wish I had that - my advisors each offered one round of serious review. Pretty sure my sample is complete garbage.

Don't lose heart! You can't know for sure until you've heard back from everywhere -- and even then it could be a problem of fit! I'm thinking UNC rejected me, and in convinced it is because two of the professors I said I'd like to work with in my SOP are really good and might be planning on leaving UNC in the next couple of years. You can't plan on stuff like that, the known and unknown unknowns. 

To paraphrase Aristotle, "in all ways and utterly it is among the most difficult of things to obtain any certainty concerning [admissions]."

47 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Congrats!!! You're living my dream. Enjoy it.

I second this! Also; this calls for a Douglas Adams reference:

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

7 hours ago, dgswaim said:

Anyone claiming UMD?

Hi, I'm claiming one of the UMD posts.

I'm currently debating between UMD and Indiana.  UMD is a bit lower ranked overall but they have a stronger program in my area of interest (mind and cognitive science).  If anyone has any thoughts on choosing between overall stronger programs and programs with strong specialties, I'd be interested in your input.