2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 hour ago, torpedofish said:

I got a phone call from Yale an hour ago or so (I had to calm down some before coming on here as I was actually hyperventilating at some point. But !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I've still not quite recovered. This has to be one of the happiest moments of my life, if not the happiest one. (And that after I spent most of yesterday utterly depressed and heart-broken about a presumed rejection from them.)

CONGRATS!! :D

Just now, MickeyRay said:

I loved reading this. I haven't been having a good season, but I really am so happy and so proud of the people getting into these amazing schools. :)

I felt the same way! It's kind of awful when people get in somewhere and brush it off like its nothing... but then when someone gets in and freaks out the way I would its like *high five, you did it!!!* :lol:

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

I felt the same way! It's kind of awful when people get in somewhere and brush it off like its nothing... but then when someone gets in and freaks out the way I would its like *high five, you did it!!!* :lol:

I'm out of upvotes but thank you so much, everybody!!! I really appreciate it and I'm honestly touched by these reactions. I wish you all the best of luck!!

1 hour ago, iamtheother said:

I'm happy for your happiness and unabashed expression of elation. I am unhappy that at least one person in that department gave the worst talk I've ever seen.

I once heard a two hour lecture on portable sundials. It was so boring that I thought I was gonna pass out. At the end of the lecture, some old guy asked, "Well, how do they work?" and the lecturer said, "We don't know." I was like, kill me now! 

Edited by MVSCZAR
Ancient portable sundials, btw. It was some classics thing.

2 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

I once heard a two hour lecture on portable sundials. It was so boring that I thought I was gonna pass out. At the end of the lecture, some old guy asked, "Well, how do they work?" and the lecturer said, "We don't know." I was like, kill me now! 

That's how I've felt at the end of almost every classics lecture I've ever sat through. "Well, what's the upshot of this?" "Uh...."

1 minute ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

That's how I've felt at the end of almost every classics lecture I've ever sat through. "Well, what's the upshot of this?" "Uh...."

I've been to so many classics lectures, but that one definitely beat almost all of them in terms of boringness. I heard a great one once on Greek colonialism, though, and the guy super randomly started talking about Israel for a split second and I kept scanning the audience for a response and nobody said anything. Then there was the time that I had to sit through a lecture on ancient brickwork. ZzzZZzzzz 

Who was the lucky fellow wot got an email from Yale on Sunday night? I'm wondering whether they really exist or if someone is trying to mess with us hopefuls. If you're really out there, congratulations!

4 minutes ago, gughok said:

Who was the lucky fellow wot got an email from Yale on Sunday night? I'm wondering whether they really exist or if someone is trying to mess with us hopefuls. If you're really out there, congratulations!

I was just coming to the forum to post this same message, then I saw your name and thought: finally, he must've gotten his e-mail! Sorry to see you're still waiting, too. These protracted Yale posts are really drawing this out to painful lengths. I find the admissions process to be increasingly similar to Tantalus' torment.

I was wondering if it was possibly that a few different profs were sending out the acceptances....like POIs or something, but I was told that the email wasn't from her POI. Who knows? Any other guesses? 

I can imagine some of us will be up waiting for the call/email. If they're sending them out this late, maybe it'll be later. (crazy anxious applicant mind)

5 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

I was just coming to the forum to post this same message, then I saw your name and thought: finally, he must've gotten his e-mail! Sorry to see you're still waiting, too. These protracted Yale posts are really drawing this out to painful lengths. I find the admissions process to be increasingly similar to Tantalus' torment.

Haha, thank you for the confidence! That's the second remark of its kind I've gotten in just this thread.

I sort of want to break down into manic laughter at this point. I feel like I'm in a strait-jacket, writhing on the floor, being showered with expressions of hope and screaming alternatingly "what sweet words of comfort you speak!" and "in my failure I shall prove you wrong!"

@jacbarcan Thank you for the tip, and congrats to the person!

1 minute ago, gughok said:

Haha, thank you for the confidence! That's the second remark of its kind I've gotten in just this thread.

I sort of want to break down into manic laughter at this point. I feel like I'm in a strait-jacket, writhing on the floor, being showered with expressions of hope and screaming alternatingly "what sweet words of comfort you speak!" and "in my failure I shall prove you wrong!"

@jacbarcan Thank you for the tip, and congrats to the person!

If it is any comfort to you (what is, in this craziness), for a number of reasons I was restricted in my choice of undergraduate institution and am currently the only philosophy major on a campus with one professional philosopher. All the while, my fellow students remain confident I will be admitted into the entire Ivy League. So: I see where you're coming from, lol. 

Also @jacbarcan did you apply to Yale? If so, good luck!

3 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

It wasn't boring; just offensive naivety combined with arrogance and a dash of systemic sexism.

After being depressed last week about not hearing from USF, I, my fiancé, and one of our housemates drove from Atlanta to Raleigh to see an NHL game and get my mind off things, and half an hour ago while driving back to ATL- after being in the car since 6:30 this morning- I received my acceptance!!!!! I have been shaky and weepy and unable to stop smiling since. I feel in a way that I don't deserve this, and yet I also know how hard I worked for it. I'm just glad I can finally start planning the next 5 years of my life!