2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 hour ago, Erratic_Akratic said:

As nice as it is to get (even partial) good news in these times of great angst, I wouldn't make too much of it. The MAPH is notoriously ill-funded (i.e. no funding at all) and in any case isn't as good a preparation to a PhD in philosophy as other, less prestigious terminal MA programs. 

While it's true that MAPH is not funded, it is not the case that it isn't a good preparation for a phd in philosophy. It's actually great prep for phd and graduate work. 

1 hour ago, MVSCZAR said:

Pfft. I didn't get that email. I guess I got regular rejected.

1 hour ago, psm1580b said:

Me too.

So you both were only rejected without an offer to the master?

What does you application website say? I have not received any email! But someone here said that they already contacted the accepted ones. Then what are they waiting to send all the rejects? Why?!

5 minutes ago, pecado said:

So you both were only rejected without an offer to the master?

What does you application website say? I have not received any email! But someone here said that they already contacted the accepted ones. Then what are they waiting to send all the rejects? Why?!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that anyone who didn't get an MAPH offer just got straight up rejected. I honestly don't know what that says about me as a candidate, but a part of me is tempted to ask. I thought that I'd at least get referred to the MAPH but alas. Maybe I accidentally insulted one of them? Even though I sent almost the same exact application to all my schools. 

At any rate, I think it's pretty safe to say that if you haven't gotten accepted yet, you won't be getting accepted this cycle. That's just how Chicago rolls. But I wouldn't take it to heart. At least I'm not. 

My app website says "submitted" and nothing else. I also haven't received an email. They're probably waiting for the grad school to change the application page or something. Not sure. 

5 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Seriously! I actually read it out loud to my wife! Who does that?

Lol... Browse through the records of rejects in other disciplines and you'd be surprised how many people make a point to note every credential they can think of when they get rejected. Only to note that they really DIDNT CARE ANYWAY, of course :D

12 minutes ago, iamtheother said:

The hubris on that Chicago rejection does the opposite of bum me out. 

The one that's like, I'm really great and all I got is the MAPH thing? 

4 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

The one that's like, I'm really great and all I got is the MAPH thing? 

Yeah. To paraphrase: "I can math super good AND philosophy super good, and these fools don't even know."

13 minutes ago, iamtheother said:

The hubris on that Chicago rejection does the opposite of bum me out. 

To be fair, that MAPH program is somewhat insulting. I was planning on getting all pissy too if I got referred and now I'm all like, wut, that I didn't even get referred. They don't even want to make me pay a shitload of money to just have their school name on my CV. I get why that person would be upset. 

1 minute ago, dgswaim said:

Yeah. To paraphrase: "I can math super good AND philosophy super good, and these fools don't even know."

Right, right and the 3 Stanford PhDs. Yeah, that person's problem is that they don't know how to brag or what to brag about.

8 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

To be fair, that MAPH program is somewhat insulting. I was planning on getting all pissy too if I got referred and now I'm all like, wut, that I didn't even get referred. They don't even want to make me pay a shitload of money to just have their school name on my CV. I get why that person would be upset. 

It's fine to be upset, but I don't need to know how awesome he or she takes him or herself to be. Come use the venting thread, if you need to.

9 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

It's fine to be upset, but I don't need to know how awesome he or she takes him or herself to be. Come use the venting thread, if you need to.

>.>  <.< 

maybe they are in the venting thread... Among us... 

Edit: it's not me though. I'm not into math. 

Edited by MVSCZAR

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

Ha!  Yeah, I don't know how to feel about getting referred to the MAPH program. (I'm not the one who wrote angry message on their rejection post.)  On the one hand, it feels pretty terrible to get a rejection that says they thought you weren't good enough for the PhD program, but they will gladly take your money if you're desperate enough to attend their poorly funded masters program.  On the other hand, they seem to be at least somewhat selective on who they refer to this program, so this gives me a slight bit of hope regarding the competitiveness of my application at other schools.

2 hours ago, brekekexkoax said:

While it's true that MAPH is not funded, it is not the case that it isn't a good preparation for a phd in philosophy. It's actually great prep for phd and graduate work. 

Quite right! Sorry if I came off suggesting the opposite.

My impression is only that, considering philosophy is (for better or worse) becoming an increasingly specialized field, and considering graduate applications in philosophy are becoming increasingly competitive, MA programs whose sole function is placing students in PhD programs may fare better in that respect than an interdisciplinary program in the humanities such as the Chicago MAPH. Even if that were true, I also think the MAPH is a great preparation for a philosophy PhD.  

1 minute ago, ABrown said:

Ha!  Yeah, I don't know how to feel about getting referred to the MAPH program. (I'm not the one who wrote angry message on their rejection post.)  On the one hand, it feels pretty terrible to get a rejection that says they thought you weren't good enough for the PhD program, but they will gladly take your money if you're desperate enough to attend their poorly funded masters program.  On the other hand, they seem to be at least somewhat selective on who they refer to this program, so this gives me a slight bit of hope regarding the competitiveness of my application at other schools.

I've heard countless times that one shouldn't accept the MAPH offer. You should definitely feel good about it, and hopefully it means good things for the rest of your apps, though. At the very least, be flattered. 

4 minutes ago, Erratic_Akratic said:

Quite right! Sorry if I came off suggesting the opposite.

My impression is only that, considering philosophy is (for better or worse) becoming an increasingly specialized field, and considering graduate applications in philosophy are becoming increasingly competitive, MA programs whose sole function is placing students in PhD programs may fare better in that respect than an interdisciplinary program in the humanities such as the Chicago MAPH. Even if that were true, I also think the MAPH is a great preparation for a philosophy PhD.  

Compared to what, though? I can imagine countless different ways one could improve ones application that are better than getting into debt for a masters program that's not even in philosophy proper. It's not like it's a lucrative field where you can expect to pay the debt back quickly after graduation. Unless you have money like that, in which case go for it. 

6 hours ago, smwinterfeldt said:

So there's only been one posting for Indiana Bloomington (non-HPS), and so far I haven't seen anyone claim it. Anyone want to claim it or know anything about Indiana?

I'm also wondering about this... I think it's weird that 1) no one claimed it, 2) it's just the one, and 3) there were no stats or comments listed. I know of at least 2 other people that applied (in addition to myself) that also haven't heard anything. I'm assuming that even if it is legit that they're not done making offers. I might call tomorrow to ask if its still crickets by mid-day. 

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

I'm also wondering about this... I think it's weird that 1) no one claimed it, 2) it's just the one, and 3) there were no stats or comments listed. I know of at least 2 other people that applied (in addition to myself) that also haven't heard anything. I'm assuming that even if it is legit that they're not done making offers. I might call tomorrow to ask if its still crickets by mid-day. 

I'm going to chat with Nat ('Nat' is the name of the caller) tomorrow and we'll discuss calling Indiana. We're trying also to set some ground rules so as to not overcall departments and end up causing more trouble. 

Unfortunately, it may not work and we have worries that we will just get a generic, uninformative response. 

3 hours ago, philosophe said:

Sorry about the confusion guys. I'm claiming the Indiana (non HPS) acceptance and one of the Duke wait list posts.

I didn't post any stats just because I'd rather not share.  But I can comment here that I'll most likely accept the offer and I have no knowledge about other offers.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Sorry about the confusion guys. I'm claiming the Indiana (non HPS) acceptance and one of the Duke wait list posts.

I didn't post any stats just because I'd rather not share.  But I can comment here that I'll most likely accept the offer and I have no knowledge about whether they're done making offers.

Congratulations!

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Compared to what, though? I can imagine countless different ways one could improve ones application that are better than getting into debt for a masters program that's not even in philosophy proper. It's not like it's a lucrative field where you can expect to pay the debt back quickly after graduation. Unless you have money like that, in which case go for it. 

MAPH allows you to take classes in any department in u Chicago. You can therefore specialize, like I did, in philosophy by taking all classes marked "PHIL" and get a faculty mentor from the philosophy department for your thesis. it is my impression/experience from their placement record that phd programs look at that as they would a philosophy specific 2 year masters. It is true there are disadvantages-- no funding, no chance to teach-- but also great advantages. It's a balancing act and everybody should decide for jem selves. Please stop shit talking MAPH when you don't really know what it's about and how it works, everybody. There are plenty of threads on grad cafe already hating on MAPH and I don't go into them and discuss MAPH, however this isn't one of those threads so I'd appreciate the lowering of my MA not to go on here. Plenty of places refer to their masters. You all would not feel great if somebody was devaluing yours. Thanks.

Edited by brekekexkoax