2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

2 hours ago, Eager said:

TODAY….I was carefully going through my junk mail, looking for the student emails that inevitably end up there no matter what filter setting I apply and there it was.  There is was….I read:

Dear xxxxx xxxxxx,

Congratulations!  You have been admitted to the Ph.D. Program in English at  xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.  That you have been selected from among the 243 applications we received this year indicates our high opinion of your qualifications and our confidence that you will thrive in our program. We extend our warmest invitation to join our entering class for the Fall 2016 semester.

I screamed so loud!!!!! Unfortunately, my honey was sleeping and jumped out of bed yelling. "What happened? What is it?"  He was ready to rumble!  I told him that I was accepted as I cried and shook and bounced on the bed.  He was sleepily very happy for me, even more happy it wasn't an intruder I was screaming about.  And get this Grad family, full funding.  I was offered full funding.   This is one of the most exciting days of my life.  My musician husband thinks we should buy him a bass to celebrate.   He says it will help keep him "supportive".   I pretended like that was a problem, but he doesn't know that he's getting that bass just because he had been so supportive!:D  So….the round of calls that I have been waiting for years to make ensued.  I called my mom who screamed with joy, my brother, who told me, "You've worked hard, you've earned this!" My closest friend, my sister, my aunt who is hard of hearing, so that took longer than anticipated, to my daughter, who told me she knew it was in the bag!  

I sit here now, smiling, on cloud twelve!  I have read so many stories of acceptances and wondered when it would be my turn.  Today it is.  For all those  who have been rejected, don't give up.  Never give up.  One day, you will write your story here and I look forward to reading it.

You know, this is precisely how I thought an English Ph.D.'s acceptance post would read. You guys are so much more interesting than the analytic philosophers.

21 minutes ago, aeidenai said:

I posted that DePaul rejection, and it is a generic rejection letter from the office of graduate admission via Email. Have you heard from DePaul yet?

Hmm.. that's very odd. I haven't heard anything, and it doesn't seem anyone else here has. 

55 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Hmm.. that's very odd. I haven't heard anything, and it doesn't seem anyone else here has. 

Yes, it is really odd...I think that's because the international applicants may receive the rejection letter earlier than others, and the decision should be made by the end of this week, as shown in DePaul's department calendar (http://las.depaul.edu/academics/philosophy/about/Documents/Calendar.pdf). Good luck with your application!

3 hours ago, aeidenai said:

Yes, it is really odd...I think that's because the international applicants may receive the rejection letter earlier than others, and the decision should be made by the end of this week, as shown in DePaul's department calendar (http://las.depaul.edu/academics/philosophy/about/Documents/Calendar.pdf). Good luck with your application!

Hmm. Okay, thanks for the heads up.

6 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

So an I correct in thinking there are more Indiana acceptances to be released???

Relevant excerpts of my WL letter: " The committee has now met and ranked the applicants who made the first cut in our admissions process. Due to budgetary restrictions outside our control, we aim to have only five new graduate students join us in the fall"...  "we have made initial offers to several people and are now waiting to hear back from them"... "The  majority of our applicants have already been rejected and have been notified of that."

I would assume they're done if they're sending out WLs but nothing seems to commit them to being finished. Have you yet to hear? 

11 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Relevant excerpts of my WL letter: " The committee has now met and ranked the applicants who made the first cut in our admissions process. Due to budgetary restrictions outside our control, we aim to have only five new graduate students join us in the fall"...  "we have made initial offers to several people and are now waiting to hear back from them"... "The  majority of our applicants have already been rejected and have been notified of that."

I would assume they're done if they're sending out WLs but nothing seems to commit them to being finished. Have you yet to hear? 

Hmm, strange. I've got nothing.

1 hour ago, Dialectica said:

Hmm, strange. I've got nothing.

I have a friend who's also still in the dark.... I hope that means they just haven't finished spreading the good news. If I were you I'd solicit if you have no news by tomorrow.

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

I have a friend who's also still in the dark.... I hope that means they just haven't finished spreading the good news. If I were you I'd solicit if you have no news by tomorrow.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. It's really strange, given what they've released, that they would t just send all their rejections out at this point. I really don't know what to think about the situation.

And I forgot thank you for your help. So thank you.

Edited by Dialectica

Just now, Dialectica said:

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. It's really strange, given what they've released, that they would t just send all their rejections out at this point. I really don't know what to think about the situation.

I felt the same way about usc. I've learned the hard way to keep expectations low. Good luck! Rooting for you. 

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

I felt the same way about usc. I've learned the hard way to keep expectations low. Good luck! Rooting for you. 

Likewise! Hoping you get in off the waitlist. I'd personally love to end up at Indiana.

6 hours ago, aeidenai said:

hmm.. I am international, so hopefully this means I'm on some waitlist somewhere. 

Thanks, good luck to you too

3 minutes ago, GPAisgrad? said:

What does "GPA is grad" mean? Like, "my GPA is of graduate level caliber" or what? 

Yes, I made an account to ask this question. 

I would assume it means that person did a masters degree and the Grad GPA is their GPA during their masters program.