2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

just got a very nice call from Mark Murphy at Georgetown. I've been accepted there, but I will almost certainly turn this offer down, so please don't despair if you're on the waitlist. Good luck to all other Georgetown applicants, and everyone else, too. I feel like today is going to be crazy.

2 hours ago, AgentScully said:

Hey @gughok your stats and school list are both pretty stellar. I'm curious what your top choice is?

Thanks, I'm just desperately hoping I won't be shut out. I guess it all rides on my sample. My top choice is Rutgers; I may be biased because both my major advisors studied there.

8 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

@gughok: Anytime I see your name pop up as recently posting in the acceptance thread, I can't help but think it's you celebrating an acceptance. It's going to happen. 

Thank you! For now I'm just sitting here staring at a screen... and my phone... back and forth... WAIT IS THAT AN EMAIL FROM YA - nevermind it's something about careers. Pfft. Who needs those eh?

Just now, frege-bombs said:

Admitted at Rice. The email from the DGS described me as "a perfect fit." I suspect this is because Charles Siewert is there, who is one of my intellectual heroes.

I feel very grateful at this moment. 

That's awesome! Congratulations!!! 

Robert Brandom gave a lecture in my department today on Pragmatism and German Idealism. I'm not at all fluent in those areas (despite having read a considerable amount of Kant and Hegel and a tiny bit of Rorty and James) but it was an amazing experience to see him speak. For anyone going to Pitt, you're in good hands. (p.s. I realized i'm only three degrees of separation from Richard Rory. Rorty was Brandom's disseration advisor at Princeton, Brandom was Chris William's dissertation advisor at Pitt, and Williams is my professor/mentor/favorite person ever. 

19 minutes ago, philstudent1991 said:

Your name is exactly how I feel about my admissions season. 

Two things: 

1) It's how my season was going until two days ago (USF admit and Loyola wait list)

2) I made a living as a parachute rigger for about a decade

Keep your chin up! You always jump with a reserve parachute!

1 minute ago, Failedparachute said:

Two things: 

1) It's how my season was going until two days ago (USF admit and Loyola wait list)

I knew who you were the minute I saw the user name. :lol:

39 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Robert Brandom gave a lecture in my department today on Pragmatism and German Idealism. I'm not at all fluent in those areas (despite having read a considerable amount of Kant and Hegel and a tiny bit of Rorty and James) but it was an amazing experience to see him speak. For anyone going to Pitt, you're in good hands. (p.s. I realized i'm only three degrees of separation from Richard Rory. Rorty was Brandom's disseration advisor at Princeton, Brandom was Chris William's dissertation advisor at Pitt, and Williams is my professor/mentor/favorite person ever. 

That sounds like it would have been a really cool lecture! I don't know if you have worked with David Rondel at Reno, but I am pretty sure he was a student of Barry Allen's at McMaster, who was also a student of Rorty's. Your Rorty roots may run even deeper than you think!

Edited by erosopher
typo

1 hour ago, lisamadura said:

I'm two degrees of separation from Heidegger. AMA

1 hour ago, Failedparachute said:

Two things: 

Are you the presidential fellowship USF admit?!  Yay! Congrats! I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from them. 

48 minutes ago, LLeuven said:

Are you the presidential fellowship USF admit?!  Yay! Congrats! I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from them. 

Oui, that's me! Am I really the only one they've contacted so far? Best of luck to you!

8 hours ago, frege-bombs said:

Admitted at Rice. The email from the DGS described me as "a perfect fit." I suspect this is because Charles Siewert is there, who is one of my intellectual heroes.

I feel very grateful at this moment. 

Congrats! I was waitlisted last year and I was really hoping for some good news from them this year. Do you know if they reached out to all of those they accepted?