Cultural Anthropology PhD // Fall 2016

intellect954

So I know the interviews from Duke have been staggered.  Is it bad form to ask that those who have heard from a POI offer the name of said POI?  I'm hoping to hear from someone specific.

THANKS!

On 1/27/2016 at 4:25 PM, intellect954 said:

I feel the same way. What would I do with my life?! How old are you? What are your interests? GRE scores?

I feel like these questions are so personal. ;P

hahahahaha, that's how I'm introducing myself these days at all social gatherings---telling people my GRE scores and academic interests. 

Seriously though, so much anxiety I just want to know and be done. The grieving period is more bearable than the waiting period. 

Like you, I'm 25 and already feel like I'm inching up there age-wise and so don't want to wait any longer to start grad school. Ugh. My interests are very random: the Arab World, critical theory, globalization, media ethnography (and the list goes endlessly on). My GRE scores are pretty average: V:166, Q: 149 (shitty but I suck at math and there ain't no way around it), AW: 5

Do you have the slighted idea what you would alternatively do if, God forbid, you don't get in anywhere this year? Would you try again next year?

On 2/1/2016 at 7:26 PM, batata said:

hahahahaha, that's how I'm introducing myself these days at all social gatherings---telling people my GRE scores and academic interests. 

Seriously though, so much anxiety I just want to know and be done. The grieving period is more bearable than the waiting period. 

Like you, I'm 25 and already feel like I'm inching up there age-wise and so don't want to wait any longer to start grad school. Ugh. My interests are very random: the Arab World, critical theory, globalization, media ethnography (and the list goes endlessly on). My GRE scores are pretty average: V:166, Q: 149 (shitty but I suck at math and there ain't no way around it), AW: 5

Do you have the slighted idea what you would alternatively do if, God forbid, you don't get in anywhere this year? Would you try again next year?

I think I would move back to China and attempt an MA there, because at the end of the day, I could make a career out of speaking Mandarin Chinese, since it's in such high demand.

I recently realized that I should've applied to Princeton and not U Penn, but oh well. I'm really counting on an acceptance letter to Rutgers, but I also think I'd get into the MA in China Studies at UW I applied for, so we'll see what happens. Maybe it's time for me to take the MA route as opposed to the PhD one, but we shall see what unfolds! Either way, I'm alive, healthy, financially sound, and I speak rather fluent Mandarin. I'll be okay. :)

And so will you! My verbal score wasn't as good as yours, but I believe it's within the average for the schools to which I applied. I really regret not applying to Princeton now, but so it goes. Shrug.