Should I broach the issue of a low GPA with a potential advisor?

Bos taurus

Question

Some background: I am a 4th year Zoology undergraduate, applying for a Masters with a focus in Dairy Cattle Nutrition at UC Davis. My current GPA is a 3.08. I know it isn't ideal, and may negatively impact grad school admissions. I worked 2-3 jobs at a time all through undergrad, and at times that may have cut into my classwork, but I feel that I learned a lot through my work experiences, and they were worth the time invested.

I have been speaking with a professor at UC Davis regarding the possibility of joining his group in the fall; he is accepting students, and he gave me some current and graduated student contacts. I was told to follow up with them, get a sense for what the group is like, and if I'm still interested, we can discuss coming out for a visit. 

I am very interested in that particular group, but my academic coursework and performance has not come up in emailing him, and I'm uncertain if my low GPA is an issue I should raise before visiting. If so, how do I address it in a way that isn't awkward? "I'm interested in your group, and would like to come out for a visit...but you should know my GPA is lower than I would like". Any advice would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

I wouldn't bring it up. There's nothing you can say that won't sound like you're just making excuses for yourself. If the prof really wants you, they may fight for you in spite of your GPA. See also the thread here from the folks with sub-3.0 GPAs, which has helpful advice about navigating grad school admissions with a lower undergrad GPA.

I might not bring it up, but I would discuss your commitment to your education and mention (briefly) that you worked two jobs in order to be able to pay for school. I think professors will be looking for signs of dedication and willingness to work hard (since that's what they want grad students for), and they actually don't care much about your grad school grades (as long as you meet the minimum bar), because they want you to focus on your (their) research. Looked at that way, that you were able to maintain a decent gpa in spite of a heavy work load at your jobs could be seen as a positive attribute and work in your favor. But I am not a professor -- so I am just speculating. However, I have a lot of respect for people who are able to manage school and real jobs.

Contrary to what the prior two answers said, I did mentioned my low GPA (below 3.0) during emails and Skype calls, and I don't think it hurt me. I got the interview last week to my top choice (and not an easy program to get into) and not once did my GPA come up even though everyone who interviewed me all had access to my transcript. So saying that, I'm not completely sure now if it's necessary to mention ahead of time.

What's important is the whole package, and it's okay if one area is weak if the others are very strong. Having excellent GRE scores for one, but more important will be research experience, even better if you can get your name on a published paper. Letters of recommendation of course, and even better if they're from professors/researchers you've actually worked with. As someone else said, if potential advisors likes you they'll fight for your admission.

Of course, once you're in grad school, make sure you do get good grades!

The advice I got when I was applying to MAs was not to mention it, but instead to emphasize other strengths. Being careful not to sound like you're making excuses, you might be able to word it in a way that shows an upward trend/improvement that you intend to continue. For example: After studying abroad my junior year, I was inspired to make academia my future, and committed myself to my studies.

But again, it's less awkward to just emphasize your strengths instead... This is one elephant in the room that's fine to just not mention.

My question is somewhat related to this post. What are the best points to highlight when sending your first email to a potential advisor that could make them pick interest in you ? I have been lucky to get a couple of professors responding to first time emails but they are just few out of many others who wouldn't respond. 

1 hour ago, Kollyy said:

My question is somewhat related to this post. What are the best points to highlight when sending your first email to a potential advisor that could make them pick interest in you ? I have been lucky to get a couple of professors responding to first time emails but they are just few out of many others who wouldn't respond. 

This wold be great in another thread... but I sent out many emails and only ever had one person not respond. This is what I wrote with all of the details obviously removed. It was longer once you included the meat of the email, but not so long that it was a drag. 

I am an XXX student at XXX. I have been looking at your XXX work and am extremely interested in the research you have done.  I have participated in XXX research under my advisor, Dr. XXX.  All of my work has been an attempt to XXX.

I am interested in continuing XXX research through a graduate degree, and would like to ultimately pursue a PhD. I am simply writing to inquire if you are taking any students for next fall. If so, I would love to hear back and talk about your potential future interests in XXX work, and if not, then thank you for your time.

On January 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Bos taurus said:

Some background: I am a 4th year Zoology undergraduate, applying for a Masters with a focus in Dairy Cattle Nutrition at UC Davis. My current GPA is a 3.08. I know it isn't ideal, and may negatively impact grad school admissions. I worked 2-3 jobs at a time all through undergrad, and at times that may have cut into my classwork, but I feel that I learned a lot through my work experiences, and they were worth the time invested.

I have been speaking with a professor at UC Davis regarding the possibility of joining his group in the fall; he is accepting students, and he gave me some current and graduated student contacts. I was told to follow up with them, get a sense for what the group is like, and if I'm still interested, we can discuss coming out for a visit. 

I am very interested in that particular group, but my academic coursework and performance has not come up in emailing him, and I'm uncertain if my low GPA is an issue I should raise before visiting. If so, how do I address it in a way that isn't awkward? "I'm interested in your group, and would like to come out for a visit...but you should know my GPA is lower than I would like". Any advice would be appreciated.

Advice from someone with a very sub-3.0 GPA: be proactive. If the POI is interested in you, they will remain interested in you regardless of GPA. They are going to find out about it most likely anyways, so it's better that they know in advance if they're going to bat on your behalf. The POIs I've sat down with in person both wanted to know what my GPA was anyways, and were supportive of me regardless. Jury's still out on whether that pans out, but hey, anything helps.

California is a rather centric State (I know, I am California born and bred) in terms of higher education.  I am also from Sacramento, so I am quite familiar with UCD despite never having actually attended.  A 3.08 GPA from any State system (California Community College, CSU, UC) is considered more than acceptable.  Even though each is its own system they are all ultimately governed by the same, one, body at the State level.  Meaning, Calc III taken at a CCC meets the same base criteria as a Calc III course taken at UCB (note, base does not mean that the courses are similar in rigor, only that a student from each will walk away with the same known base understanding and ability).  Or that it is way easier for a student transferring with 2.8 GPA from a CCC into a UC  (almost guaranteed admittance) where as a student transferring from an out-of-State CC with a 3.9 will likely be denied (and told to attend a CCC first for a year.  Honestly, call UCD undergrad admissions and tell them you are about to graduate from an out-of-State CC with a GPA of 3.9 and see what they tell you).  

Granted, your GPA may be a hinderance to the overall competition but as far as UCD graduate admissions are concerned anything about 3.0 is considered acceptable.  Coming from a UC into a UC, your GPA is even less of a big deal.