2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

Got rejected from UAB yesterday. Got it in the snail mail, which is almost insulting. I'm really sad about that one because it was my one shot to not have to live long distance from my boyfriend of almost 3 years. Do you ever feel like you're just not cut out for grad school? It's my second year of rejections. 

Not trying to be depressing, just realistic.

18 minutes ago, luckyduck78 said:

Got rejected from UAB yesterday. Got it in the snail mail, which is almost insulting. I'm really sad about that one because it was my one shot to not have to live long distance from my boyfriend of almost 3 years. Do you ever feel like you're just not cut out for grad school? It's my second year of rejections. 

Not trying to be depressing, just realistic.

I understand. I feel the same way. You aren't alone. 

First official rejection from Loyola Chicago. Just happened to check the website.

I'm assuming that Fordham, Vanderbilt, Stony Brook, and Penn State have rejected me, since I've heard nothing.

That leaves Villanova, Duquesne, Boston College (sometime in the mail, maybe?), and the New School for Social Research.

I thought my writing sample would give me a strong edge; now I'm just hoping to land an unfunded M.A. at least.

I go to Toronto and my understanding is that sometimes an international applicant who is considered for some special fellowship for international students gets notified (and asked if they intend to accept) personally prior to other acceptances being released. The lone Toronto posting could be that (esp. given that the poster is American). And no, there isn't only one international student admitted annually--this year a decent number of the incoming class were non-Canadian. 

Edited by kantbook

6 hours ago, iunoionnis said:

First official rejection from Loyola Chicago. Just happened to check the website.

I'm assuming that Fordham, Vanderbilt, Stony Brook, and Penn State have rejected me, since I've heard nothing.

That leaves Villanova, Duquesne, Boston College (sometime in the mail, maybe?), and the New School for Social Research.

I thought my writing sample would give me a strong edge; now I'm just hoping to land an unfunded M.A. at least.

I wouldn't bank on outright rejections just yet. Someone a few days ago said that those who hadn't heard back from Fordham were probably rejected, and I didn't really believe it. Today I got the waitlist letter. 

I read some stuff on the blog you have in your profile. Is that yours?

6 hours ago, kantbook said:

I go to Toronto and my understanding is that sometimes an international applicant who is considered for some special fellowship for international students gets notified (and asked if they intend to accept) personally prior to other acceptances being released. The lone Toronto posting could be that (esp. given that the poster is American). And no, there isn't only one international student admitted annually--this year a decent number of the incoming class were non-Canadian. 

I'll believe any theory at this point which allows room for me to still have a chance. 

It feels unfair to feel bad about a rejection when I've got multiple acceptances, but PNP still stings. I've wanted to be in a program like that - and there aren't really many others like it - since before I was even in undergrad, and now I've been rejected three separate times. Guess I'll just have to get hired there instead.

On 16/2/2016 at 9:29 PM, bravesball said:
46 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

It feels unfair to feel bad about a rejection when I've got multiple acceptances, but PNP still stings. I've wanted to be in a program like that - and there aren't really many others like it - since before I was even in undergrad, and now I've been rejected three separate times. Guess I'll just have to get hired there instead.

On 2/13/2016 at 11:42 AM, psm1580b said:

Maybe but I've heard about some issues with Canadian schools not being able to take int'l students these last couple of years. Not WO specifically, but it still worries me. 

did you apply to western ontario's philosophy program? i got accepted to the centre for the study of theory and crit on feb 16th.

16 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

did you apply to western ontario's philosophy program? i got accepted to the centre for the study of theory and crit on feb 16th.

I applied to western but it wasn't that exact program. Hopefully I hear something soon! 

4 rejections in a row now. Kind of killing me. One place called and told me I was a split hair away from making it in (they usually take 5, this year they only took 4). I still have 5 left to hear from, and I think I have a strong application, but I'd be lying if I said I felt confident. 

1 hour ago, Falcore said:

4 rejections in a row now. Kind of killing me. One place called and told me I was a split hair away from making it in (they usually take 5, this year they only took 4). I still have 5 left to hear from, and I think I have a strong application, but I'd be lying if I said I felt confident. 

Wrong forum but good luck

4 minutes ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

Would they have films in Kallipolis? That smacks of mimēsis to me...

Damn right it does. But we have to use it in the pursuit of the good and the beautiful. For example, we may allow all the John Ford movies, and Bergman, and Fellini selectively. We do not allow Gone With the Wind or Argo, etc. But we allow mimesis insofar is it's within the confines of paideia and if it makes the world a better place. And I get to choose what makes the world a better place because I have techne.